What's new

Sub Ohm Kylin Mini V2

Gitchy

Achiever
Lilia @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor am I paid to review things.

20201208_105322.jpg

Vandy Vape Kylin Mini V2

https://www.sourcemore.com/vandy-vape-kylin-mini-v2-rta.html

I also got a code to bring this down to $21.39 it’s KYLIN

In the box you get:

1 Kylin mini v2 RTA
1 Pyrex Glass tube
1 Spare Parts Bag
1 Coil Lead Guide (coily clone)
1 Instruction Manual
1 Prebuilt Fused Clapton Coil 0.30ohm

And it’s a nice box, there are little shiny gold and green clouds on it, which I thought was a nice touch. It’s almost as pretty as my missus (she made me write this). The Kylin mini 2 is a 24.4mm single coil RTA with top airflow. The deck also has honeycomb airflow holes that take air from the bottom and the sides, which makes for pretty good flavour.

I’ve said before that I usually try to look for things on Sourcemore that are a bit different from what I’d buy myself but this one is definitely one I wanted to try for me as I love a restricted DTL on a single coil RTA. It’s just the way I love to vape. And it vapes really well.

I’ll start off with the one problem I have with it. The threading on the bottom is really tight. I have had to use pliers several times to get the deck free from the glass. It’s a hassle but definitely not something that would stop me from using the tank. Maybe it’s my greasy sausage fingers, maybe it’s the way I wick it, maybe I’m even tightening it somehow as I use the tank or maybe it’s a dodgy o-ring but it is bloody hard to get the deck off the glass. I also found the top cap a bit of a struggle until I learned to not tighten it fully and just stop after a little resistance. As I say it’s not an issue for me really but I do have to mention it.

The tank breaks down into 6 parts. I tend to like using my own photos but I have a good build in this at the moment and don’t want to disturb it so here’s the manufacturer pic of that.

Vandy_Vape_Kylin_Mini_V2_RTA_Structure.jpg

You have the build deck with it’s 270 degree honeycomb airflow (as the advertising blurb says), a 5ml bubble glass, the adjustable juice cap, the top cap and an 810 drip tip.

Now I didn’t bother with the included coil as I’d already read a couple of reviews on here, including the one on the front review page (go and read it, it's better than mine), and they’d noted that it’s not a very good coil to showcase how good the tank is. It’s a kanthal fused clapton and I’ve not used kanthal wire or coils in a sub ohm set up RTA for a long time due to the slow ramp up and cool down. I do use them on MTL set ups but this isn’t one of those.

I did start off with a brochrome coil that I wound myself. It was 25awg at 7 wraps and a 2.5mm diameter. Came out about 0.6 or so ohm. The instruction manual (I actually read it this time!) says to cut the leads at 7mm so I did. One thing to note is that the holes for the coils in the deck are set up in such a way that you have to wind your coils a certain way or they won’t go the right way. I don’t know why Vandy Vape didn’t just put 4 holes in the deck to fit coils but it is what it is. I have found that the premade coilology coils are a good fit for this tank.

My first wicking attempt was perfect, as it always is for some reason, the next couple of ones weren’t so good. The wicking channels on the deck are just there. There’s nowhere to tuck the wick in and you do have to be careful to make sure that the cotton hits the bottom of the channel, otherwise it’s piss and gurgle central. The wick also can’t be too long or it’ll obstruct the threads that attach the tank to the glass and the deck will just spin without catching. A little juice on the cotton helps to guide it into the channels and stay there. The deck also spins, I assume this is to make sure the cotton stays where it needs to be and plug the holes in the cap. It’s something I’ve not seen before and I quite like it.

Collage 2020-12-08 10_55_13.jpg

The draw from the tank is really nice, just how I like it. Fully open it’s still a little restricted but open enough for a larger coil. I had a Ni80 fused clapton in it at about 75w and while it was a touch warm for me it was a really nice draw and smooth as well. At the moment I prefer the coilology Ni80 alien v2 coils, 3mm and coming out about 0.3ohm or so and with the airflow about a third closed it gave me the perfect vape. There’s also a slight increase in restriction when you use a 3mm diameter coil but not enough to stop me from using it. The deck is big enough to hold larger but I wasn’t adventurous enough to try myself. I like what I like. Mucking around with leg lengths confirmed to me that I do prefer the recommended 7mm. 6 was too low and 6.5 just not letting the air hit the coil enough, while longer just seemed to take away a bit of the flavour. And the flavour is good, really good.

In all I love the Kylin Mini v2. It’s just the perfect tank for me and the way I like to vape. Airflow is brilliant and the flavour is really good. I did have a few wicking issues but then I’m not brilliant at that anyway due to overthinking it and once figured out it is quite a forgiving tank. Plus I like how the gold one goes with my Vapesmarter mod.

I’m keeping this one and will probably buy another in a different colour for my other mods.

Collage 2020-12-08 10_59_34.jpg

Good review sir.
Nice to pick a really good one from time to time, uh? ;)

Good review and from your post reply a few days back I've now ordered one. Thanks.

Im tempted as well :D
Buying this one will mean my return to RBAs. Not replacing my love and liking for stock coils, just on par with that lol
Vaping is a blackhole. I cant scape now.

Just got it and done one build. It's more restrictive than I thought. Would a smaller coil help? Currently got the 3mm coil that came with it in.

Just got it and done one build. It's more restrictive than I thought. Would a smaller coil help? Currently got the 3mm coil that came with it in.

Yes, a 2.5 coil will help a little with the restriction. Also you're better with pretty much any other coil than the included one. I use a tri core ni80 fused clapton wire for my coils.

Single coil rtas do tend to be on the restricted side though. They're more for flavour than clouds imo.

Thanks for the info. Will be trying more builds of course. Just thought I'd ask the question whilst it's on my mind. Thanks for answering and again great review as I bought one.

Back
Top Bottom