What's new

Sub Ohm Is this your DESTINY? (Review – Sort of)

Great review mate, very well written and informative!

I used to love single coil RTAs but if I think if I were to come back from the dark side (mesh) I'd stick with top airflow, so looking forward to reading your Kylin Mini V2 review.

@Squidgy hoping you can help! I just picked one of these from the classifieds recently to have a play around with single coils again but I'm getting a weird, almost metallic taste from it. I cleaned it fully before use and it's definitely not a dry or burnt hit as it's wicking well (lots of bubbles) using your suggestions above. I'm using the last of my Coilology Quad Core Fused Claptons (0.28ohm/3mm/Ni80) at around 30-35W, which were always good in my old Kelpie. I spaced the wraps slightly and did a dry burn to check for hotspots before wicking. Any ideas what could be the cause? First few tank-fulls were ok but now it's just reminding me why I switched to mesh :D

Did you eat a bag of cheese & onion crisps before wicking @JohnNada ? Only joking but there's usual four things that make a vape taste funky 1) the tank, gunk could be lurking anywhere 2) the coil, machine oil, grubby fingers touching it, the material 3) Nasties on the cotton from your fingers 4) a fly flying into the airflow whilst vaping :18:

ETA: A 5th,the juice

If you rule all of those out it's a bit of a head scratcher

Last edited:
Did you eat a bag of cheese & onion crisps before wicking @JohnNada ? Only joking but there's usual four things that make a vape taste funky 1) the tank, gunk could be lurking anywhere 2) the coil, machine oil, grubby fingers touching it, the material 3) Nasties on the cotton from your fingers 4) a fly flying into the airflow whilst vaping :18:

ETA: A 4th,the juice

If you rule all of those out it's a bit of a head scratcher

I had some Wotsits :D

No, I've learned the hard way to thoroughly wash you hands before building/wicking so I don't think it will be that. Tank was cleaned in hot soapy water then well rinsed and dried, same as I do for my mesh RTAs.

Coil material is an interesting one though. Is Ni80 known to have a taste to it? As I said, these coils were good in my Kelpie but that was a long time ago. They're the pre-made ones rather than the pricier handmade ones. There is a coil in the accessories bag that came with the tank. Not sure what it is but I'll try it out later.

Coil material is an interesting one though. Is Ni80 known to have a taste to it? As I said, these coils were good in my Kelpie but that was a long time ago. They're the pre-made ones rather than the pricier handmade ones. There is a coil in the accessories bag that came with the tank. Not sure what it is but I'll try it out later.

It might be, I've read before that some people don't react well to certain coil materials but don't really know the ins & outs. Give the provided coil a try & then if that's no good, give the tank another good cleaning

@Squidgy hoping you can help! I just picked one of these from the classifieds recently to have a play around with single coils again but I'm getting a weird, almost metallic taste from it. I cleaned it fully before use and it's definitely not a dry or burnt hit as it's wicking well (lots of bubbles) using your suggestions above. I'm using the last of my Coilology Quad Core Fused Claptons (0.28ohm/3mm/Ni80) at around 30-35W, which were always good in my old Kelpie. I spaced the wraps slightly and did a dry burn to check for hotspots before wicking. Any ideas what could be the cause? First few tank-fulls were ok but now it's just reminding me why I switched to mesh :D

What type of mesh have you been using? If you have been Mesh that isn't Ni80 it could be you've become accustomed to that particular metal and anything else seems odd,

I've been using Ni80 builds on mechs, and SS316L or Ni80 on regulated for about 3 years and have no problems with either metal - before that I used Kanthal with no problems, now I find Kanthal gives a wierd funky taste that I've never noticed before.

I had some Wotsits :D

No, I've learned the hard way to thoroughly wash you hands before building/wicking so I don't think it will be that. Tank was cleaned in hot soapy water then well rinsed and dried, same as I do for my mesh RTAs.

Hello mate, I would have suggested 1 or 2 as mentioned by @JohnnyAce. When you took it apart to clean it did you take the AFC/Build deck apart? Every so often (not every time) I clean it through, remove the contact pin which allows you to unscrew the AFC from the build deck and get into the air flow chamber. The destiny doesn't tend to leak, but you can get a build up of condensation/residue in there, so could possibly be remanence from the previous owner.

The coil that comes with it, I believe was made from Kanthal A1, so yes you could give that a go.

What type of mesh have you been using? If you have been Mesh that isn't Ni80 it could be you've become accustomed to that particular metal and anything else seems odd,

I've been using Ni80 builds on mechs, and SS316L or Ni80 on regulated for about 3 years and have no problems with either metal - before that I used Kanthal with no problems, now I find Kanthal gives a wierd funky taste that I've never noticed before.

I agree, I use only SS now, even with Mesh, when I first switched from Kanthal, i didn't notice much of a change, but I certainly notice the difference now if i switch from SS. You get acclimatised to what you like I guess.

I mostly use the 0.13ohm KA1 OFRF nexMesh strips, although I've used the 0.15ohm SS316L version too for TC. Never had any issues with either of those.

I've heard of people getting a weird taste from Kanthal, but never Nichrome (other than those who have a nickel alergy). As you say maybe I'm just used to Kanthal now.

Hello mate, I would have suggested 1 or 2 as mentioned by @JohnnyAce. When you took it apart to clean it did you take the AFC/Build deck apart? Every so often (not every time) I clean it through, remove the contact pin which allows you to unscrew the AFC from the build deck and get into the air flow chamber. The destiny doesn't tend to leak, but you can get a build up of condensation/residue in there, so could possibly be remanence from the previous owner.

The coil that comes with it, I believe was made from Kanthal A1, so yes you could give that a go.

Nice one, thanks bud!

I just had a quick toot on it whilst I was in the kitchen making a brew and it's definitely a metallic taste so I'm hoping it's just the coil. I didn't take the AFC apart or remove the pin but I'll try that after work and then see if I have better luck with the coil that came with it.

Will report back later ;)

I agree, I use only SS now, even with Mesh, when I first switched from Kanthal, i didn't notice much of a change, but I certainly notice the difference now if i switch from SS. You get acclimatised to what you like I guess.

I might order some pre-made Kanthal and SS flat claptons to try and if I get on with those I'll get a couple of spools.

Back
Top Bottom