What's new

Sub Ohm Is this your DESTINY? (Review – Sort of)

Squidgy

Achiever
This is not a new device, I know, it came out around the middle of last year. If this single coil DTL/RDTL RTA interested you when it first arrived on the scene, you’ve probably already trawled through the endless reviews and guides available online, of course your first port of call for honest, well written and concise opinions would have been from POTV reviewers.

I’m not going to bore you (or try not to) with all the features, specs, colours, contents and blah, blah ,blah, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, it’s already been done. What I’m going to do is let you in on what I’ve found with this tank over the last few months, and maybe, if you fancy it, giving it a try and push this little beauty to its potential.

Obviously we all have our own ways of doing things and in no way am I trying to convince you that you’re doing it wrong or my way is the best. This is a forum after all and we’re all entitled to our own opinions. If anyone on here thinks they have pushed this device further I’d be more than happy to give it a try, eat my words and edit this thread.

This leads me nicely onto an obligatory disclaimer… I have no affiliation to Hellvape, I purchased this item with my own hard earned cash, I do not receive payment for reviews and what follows are my own opinions based on my own experience.

Firstly just for information, I know I said I wasn’t going to bore you with technical specs and all that, but there are a couple of things that some reviews neglect to mention.

Actual Tank Capacity!

Well of course, those of us in Europe are currently restricted to 2ml tanks, so it’s 2ml innit. No! not always this tank with the straight glass can squeeze in 2.5ml and with a bubble glass 5ml. For those of us that already have the Destiny, who gives a monkeys, but when I’m perusing my next possible purchase it could be something that would persuade me between different tanks.

Clean your new Shiny-itus purchases

If you just bought it, clean it, no matter how shiny it is. “You don’t know where it’s been” my old dear would have said. The metal parts of tanks are machined and these parts would have been drenched in some form of lubricant or whatever, from what I’ve heard it don’t taste too good and you don’t know what noxious shite you might be inhaling from it. You don’t hear it said enough and I haven’t seen it stated in any manual.

Apart from that all the other specs I’ve seen mentioned around are correct, the only other thing I could add is that with the bubble glass the overall diameter increases to 28mm.

Coil Type

The contacts on the build deck are adequate for the type of coil you can fit between the inlet vents. You’re not going to be looking at putting a monster coil in this, “it won’t fit governor”, and to be honest being a single coil tank, I would imagine other users like me are looking at lower power setting to achieve longer run times from your Mod.

upload_2021-2-5_9-41-25.png

I personally prefer Stainless Steel as a coil material. I’m not going to go through the in’s and out’s, whys or why nots, it’s just my preference. I’ve tried several different coil types in the Destiny, listing just a few, Single 24awg, Double 26awg, Clapton, Twisted Clapton, Fused Clapton, Flat Clapton, Tiger, Staple and Juggernaut.

upload_2021-2-5_9-41-41.png

The coil type I’ve found, that in my opinion performs the best with the Destiny is a Flattened Clapton, the wire I used was a 25/32AWG specified as 5.6ohm/m produced by The Crazy Wire Company. When I say performs the best, I mean by a noticeable gap. I now stick to this wire for this tank and another single coil tank I have, at 3mm i/d with 6 wraps (spaced) it comes in at a tad over 0.3ohms and performs fine at 35-45W.

Now, it wasn’t until I came to write this review, getting the original packaging out for some pics and opening up the bag of bits I realised the coil you get with this pack is in fact a flat Clapton of some type at 0.37ohms. Hmmmm, Coincidence???

Coil Placement

I’ve tried high, I’ve tried low, and in my opinion both tend to fade the flavour of the juice. I’ve found my best results have been with the bottom of the coil lined up with the bottom of the air vents, it just pops its head up above the build deck.

upload_2021-2-5_9-41-54.png

Wicking

I use e-liquid at 70~80% VG which as you probably know is a little on the gloopy side (thick) which has caused me issues with wicking and getting enough juice into the coil.

I’ve tested a number of different wicking techniques on this tank, the wicking ports on the Destiny aren’t huge by any stretch and could probably do with being a little larger. When using a 3mm coil you have to reduce the wick tails down. Applying the so called “Damn Method” (No! I feel I spelt it the right way) I’ve found it subjects the tank to issues with flooding when refilling. Thinning the wicks down by combing through worked, it didn’t leak, I didn’t get dry hits, but the flavour just didn’t seem to shine through, which lead me to believe the juice wasn’t getting though in sufficient quantity. The only way I’ve managed to get it to work well is by trimming the wick into a V shape as shown below. A tiny amount of thinning yes but mainly to get the cotton fibres straight to help with capillary action. Gently tuck it into the wicking channels with the points all the way through.

upload_2021-2-5_9-42-8.png
upload_2021-2-5_9-42-15.png
upload_2021-2-5_9-42-25.png
upload_2021-2-5_9-42-33.png

Conclusion

I think this is a superb RTA, it fits in with my type of vaping to a tee and when everything comes together this thing really shines through. My review is not aimed at telling you this is the best thing since sliced bread, but if you bought one or are thinking of getting one, I’m trying to help you out and maybe save you some of the leg work to get this thing to perform to its full potential.

upload_2021-2-5_9-42-46.png

If you like my take on this review then great, if not, no bother, take it or leave it as they say. I’m always open to suggestion and if you think there could be further improvements, let me know.

If the vibe is good, I may even do a similar review on my experiences with the Kylin Mini II. Will wait and see what you all think.

Last edited:
Nice one mate. It's not a tank for me but I like the way you've written this. It's a good tutorial on how to get the best out of a tank and something I don't think we see enough. There's a wealth of knowledge out there and it seems that only when asked for advice do people comment on what they've found but for some tanks I'd like to see people proactively say "Look, I've tried xyz with this tank and this is what I find best" it's great for people who are relatively new to RTA/RDAs like myself and I appreciate people will like things a different way but it's a nice pointer. Great stuff mate and I look forward to another installment of "Squidgy says"
Oh and it's bore not boar :p

Nice one mate. It's not a tank for me but I like the way you've written this. It's a good tutorial on how to get the best out of a tank and something I don't think we see enough. There's a wealth of knowledge out there and it seems that only when asked for advice do people comment on what they've found but for some tanks I'd like to see people proactively say "Look, I've tried xyz with this tank and this is what I find best" it's great for people who are relatively new to RTA/RDAs like myself and I appreciate people will like things a different way but it's a nice pointer. Great stuff mate and I look forward to another installment of "Squidgy says"
Oh and it's bore not boar :p
Thanks mate, appreciate your comments and your time to look through it, and well done for spotting my deliberate mistake :18:

Perfect review in my opinion. :)
So nice to read something straight forward but yet still packed with the info one needs!!

This is not a new device, I know, it came out around the middle of last year. If this single coil DTL/RDTL RTA interested you when it first arrived on the scene, you’ve probably already trawled through the endless reviews and guides available online, of course your first port of call for honest, well written and concise opinions would have been from POTV reviewers.

I’m not going to bore you (or try not to) with all the features, specs, colours, contents and blah, blah ,blah, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, it’s already been done. What I’m going to do is let you in on what I’ve found with this tank over the last few months, and maybe, if you fancy it, giving it a try and push this little beauty to its potential.

Obviously we all have our own ways of doing things and in no way am I trying to convince you that you’re doing it wrong or my way is the best. This is a forum after all and we’re all entitled to our own opinions. If anyone on here thinks they have pushed this device further I’d be more than happy to give it a try, eat my words and edit this thread.

This leads me nicely onto an obligatory disclaimer… I have no affiliation to Hellvape, I purchased this item with my own hard earned cash, I do not receive payment for reviews and what follows are my own opinions based on my own experience.

Firstly just for information, I know I said I wasn’t going to boar you with technical specs and all that, but there are a couple of things that some reviews neglect to mention.

Actual Tank Capacity!

Well of course, those of us in Europe are currently restricted to 2ml tanks, so it’s 2ml innit. No! not always this tank with the straight glass can squeeze in 2.5ml and with a bubble glass 5ml. For those of us that already have the Destiny, who gives a monkeys, but when I’m perusing my next possible purchase it could be something that would persuade me between different tanks.

Clean your new Shiny-itus purchases

If you just bought it, clean it, no matter how shiny it is. “You don’t know where it’s been” my old dear would have said. The metal parts of tanks are machined and these parts would have been drenched in some form of lubricant or whatever, from what I’ve heard it don’t taste too good and you don’t know what noxious shite you might be inhaling from it. You don’t hear it said enough and I haven’t seen it stated in any manual.

Apart from that all the other specs I’ve seen mentioned around are correct, the only other thing I could add is that with the bubble glass the overall diameter increases to 28mm.

Coil Type

The contacts on the build deck are adequate for the type of coil you can fit between the inlet vents. You’re not going to be looking at putting a monster coil in this, “it won’t fit governor”, and to be honest being a single coil tank, I would imagine other users like me are looking at lower power setting to achieve longer run times from your Mod.

View attachment 239213

I personally prefer Stainless Steel as a coil material. I’m not going to go through the in’s and out’s, whys or why nots, it’s just my preference. I’ve tried several different coil types in the Destiny, listing just a few, Single 24awg, Double 26awg, Clapton, Twisted Clapton, Fused Clapton, Flat Clapton, Tiger, Staple and Juggernaut.

View attachment 239214

The coil type I’ve found, that in my opinion performs the best with the Destiny is a Flattened Clapton, the wire I used was a 25/32AWG specified as 5.6ohm/m produced by The Crazy Wire Company. When I say performs the best, I mean by a noticeable gap. I now stick to this wire for this tank and another single coil tank I have, at 3mm i/d with 6 wraps (spaced) it comes in at a tad over 0.3ohms and performs fine at 35-45W.

Now, it wasn’t until I came to write this review, getting the original packaging out for some pics and opening up the bag of bits I realised the coil you get with this pack is in fact a flat Clapton of some type at 0.37ohms. Hmmmm, Coincidence???

Coil Placement

I’ve tried high, I’ve tried low, and in my opinion both tend to fade the flavour of the juice. I’ve found my best results have been with the bottom of the coil lined up with the bottom of the air vents, it just pops its head up above the build deck.

View attachment 239215

Wicking

I use e-liquid at 70~80% VG which as you probably know is a little on the gloopy side (thick) which has caused me issues with wicking and getting enough juice into the coil.

I’ve tested a number of different wicking techniques on this tank, the wicking ports on the Destiny aren’t huge by any stretch and could probably do with being I little larger. When using a 3mm coil you have to reduce the wick tails down. Applying the so called “Damn Method” (No! I feel I spelt it the right way) I’ve found it subjects the tank to issues with flooding when refilling. Thinning the wicks down by combing through worked, it didn’t leak, I didn’t get dry hits, but the flavour just didn’t seem to shine through, which lead me to believe the juice wasn’t getting though in sufficient quantity. The only way I’ve managed to get it to work well is by trimming the wick into a V shape as shown below. A tiny amount of thinning yes but mainly to get the cotton fibres straight to help with capillary action. Gently tuck it into the wicking channels with the points all the way through.

View attachment 239216View attachment 239217View attachment 239218View attachment 239219

Conclusion

I think this is a superb RTA, it fits in with my type of vaping to a tee and when everything comes together this thing really shines through. My review is not aimed at telling you this is the best thing since sliced bread, but if you bought one or are thinking of getting one, I’m trying to help you out and maybe save you some of the leg work to get this thing to perform to its full potential.

View attachment 239220

If you like my take on this review then great, if not, no bother, take it or leave it as they say. I’m always open to suggestion and if you think there could be further improvements, let me know.

If the vibe is good, I may even do a similar review on my experiences with the Kylin Mini II. Will wait and see what you all think.
Now, that's a proper hands on review with plenty of user information. Top job @Squidgy [emoji1303]

Perfect review in my opinion. :)
So nice to read something straight forward but yet still packed with the info one needs!!
Well thank you so much kind sir, appreciate the endorsement from one of our illustrious administrators. :worship:

It's a cracking review mate. I particularly like the wicking advice as that's something I tend to struggle with as I've no bloody patience.

Would really like to see your take on the Kylin mini V2.

It's a cracking review mate. I particularly like the wicking advice as that's something I tend to struggle with as I've no bloody patience.

Would really like to see your take on the Kylin mini V2.
Stay tuned @Gitchy, looks like it'll be coming soon to a Forum near you. And cheers for the support.

Back
Top Bottom