What's new

Review Youde (UD) Goblin Mini RTA (Build and Wicking Added)

s3rv3d

Achiever
I thought id do a review for the Goblin Mini, so here it is.

As the UK retailers had them in stock a week ago I went and purchased one from Grey Haze in Birmingham for £28.99. I could have ordered online and it might have been cheaper elsewhere but, I'm rather impatient. I do have one on the way from Gearbest which I pre ordered, but I forgot to choose a quick shipping method so that one hasn't arrived yet. I've been using this for a week as my sole RTA, and if I'm honest I haven't really wanted to use anything else.

Since the Goblin Mini was announced by UD I've been eagerly awaiting for it to be released. I have quite a few RBA's from Youde, and they all perform consistently. Personally I've never had a problem with any of their products, they all perform as they should. Ive never had issues with dry hits, their RTA's always wick well with my DIY 80vg juices and importantly no leaks.

I also like UD's innovative design, they always have new ideas. I believe they are a step ahead compared to some other companies.

So here is it, quite a nice looking RTA, clean and simple design, with Goblin Mini etched into the chimney.
atqj3r.jpg

UD seems to have changed their packaging styling since the original Goblin and the Goliath v1. They are now using a top opening box, instead of the slide out boxes of the previous products.
2n1ruyg.jpg

Inside the box the Goblin Mini is sat inside a foam insert, like what you would find inside a jewellery box with soft felt material. It comes with a instruction card and a bag of spares. Also provided is a spare pyrex tank and a spare pyrex drip tip. Im happy UD are now providing a spare glass, as I dropped my Goliath v1 after 2 days and smashed the pyrex. Unfortunately not many UK retailers stock spare parts for UD RBA's, so I managed to find one with the same dimensions which fitted luckily. Good to see there is a spare included, hopefully this is a trend they continue to do in the future.
kami9.jpg

Here are the spares included:
510 Drip Tip Adapter
Single Coil Adapter
Spare Deck and Fill Screw
Various Replacement O-rings
10787qr.jpg

Heres the Goblin Mini broken down, not too many parts. Its slightly different to put together than the Original Goblin. Once you have screwed the lower chimney on and the glass is in place, you screw the top cap and upper chimney together and they screw both onto the lower chimney. Whereas normally you would screw the top cap onto the full chimney. This does mean you can't top fill like you could with the Original Goblin, although this had to be done carefully by holding the glass in place, otherwise you would have juicy hands. I know it wasnt designed for top fill but it was possible to get away with it if you were out and about with no screwdriver.
2m47y10.jpg

This is the single coil adapter in use. Ive tried both single and dual coil builds in the Mini. I can't say I've noticed any difference in flavour using either. The main difference is the reduction in airflow, I've always took lung hits, even when I started vaping with the Nautilus Mini/Aerotanks. I do think running the single coil setup, someone who MtL (mouth to lung) inhales could use this RTA easily with the airflow closed down, it feels restrictive enough to allow it if you like MtL. On the other hand with single coil and the airflow set to Max you can still get a good lung inhale, if you're one who prefers single coils over dual coils.
2j4axr8.jpg

5efyw5.jpg

Whilst we're on the subject of airflow, lets take a look at one of the innovative aspects of the Goblin Mini, the "Pendulum Airflow". Airflow is adjusted by the small tab at the bottom. When attached to your device there is just enough of the tab protruding to adjust the airflow easily with your finger or nail. It doesn't stick out so much that its going to catch when its in your pocket and adjust itself. Ive had it set about 3/4 open all week and it hasn't moved unless I've moved it. It moves nice and smoothly and is easy to adjust without being too stiff.

Also look through the air holes, you can see your coils through them. Now when I first got it and wicked it up, I was thinking it was going to be a nightmare for juice leaking through here and condensation building up between the atty and mod. This isn't so at all, Ive not had a drop of juice leak or any condensation build up. I also find vaping on the Goblin Mini really smooth. The first inhale I took after building, I though WOW that is really smooth but still with a nice throat hit. I passed it to my girlfriend to try also, and she thought exactly the same. Im not sure if its this new airflow system which makes it vape this way but it is really enjoyable.
ziw29z.jpg

One thing I thought would be a negative is the flat headed fill screw, I normally hate flat screws, as I find the heads chew up quickly. I have filled this a few times a day and the screw is still perfect, I don't think chewing up this screw will be a problem.

I originally decided to purchase the Mini to sit on my Ego One Mega as a compact stealth vape, I think it looks excellent with the Goblin Mini sat on top. It performs really well on the Mega considering it isn't variable wattage. I certainly won't just be using the Goblin Mini with the Ego One though. I do think its too good not to have it on a variable mod as well.
23jh8j9.jpg

Ive also used it on my iStick 50w, again I think it looks nice and would suit practically anything.
2uq2b1u.jpg

Fill capacity is supposed to be 3ml as stated by UD, I've filled with a syringe and found it to be about 3.5ml maybe slightly more. You should leave a slight air bubble when filling though, as when I over filled I had some juice come out the top from the drip (my error). This image doesn't show it filled to the top you can get a little more juice in there. I had been vaping it for a little while.
2i0etlt.jpg

Size comparison next to the Goblin with the 3ml pyrex tank, quite a bit smaller. The Goblin has been my daily RTA since I purchased it. I found it good overall for juice consumption and flavour. Theres no doubt if you're building below 1.0 ohm, you are going to go through more juice. I seemed to get though about 1.5-2 tanks a day with the Mini, and the same can be said for the original Goblin. My builds are usually 0.5-0.8 ohms.
jjrygj.jpg

As mentioned I've used this for a whole week as my sole RTA, and I've had no issues at all. Build quality is nice, threads are nice and smooth, and there are enough spare parts in the box. I've had no dry hits or leaks. Overall I haven't got any complaints. Ive enjoyed using it a lot, and I've tried single and dual coil builds. I find the flavour good, on a comparable level to the Original Goblin with the small glass section. I have found some to be slightly muted though, however these are juices which are steeping and test recipes with 80vg. Could also well be my wicking and coil height affecting this. Airflow is also very good, I've mainly ran it with dual coils Ive found it fairly easy to build on, and I've not had issues with space on the deck with 2.5mm diameter coils. Ive wicked it the same as I do with my Goblin like the Trevor Jones Method. Vapour production is also very good. I had also watched a video prior to getting the Goblin Mini which the person put some juice on the o-rings which the tank sits between. I haven't found this necessary at all, I've not had a leak or juice seeping not doing this. In fact after washing the tank one time I didn't dry it off properly and the o-rings still had a slight bit of water from washing. When I tried to open it the next time I found it quite hard to unscrew as there isn't a lot to grip on to. My advice would be not to put juice on the seals you won't have a problem with leaks if you don't.

I hope you've found this review useful. It is my first review so I thought i'd go for a text based one, if I continue to review things in the future I might expand to video reviews. However, there are a lot of people out there who do video reviews and I'm sure they're better at it than me.

Any questions you have I will try to answer.

EDIT: Just to add, I know some had problems with the original Goblin leaking from the fill screw. Personally I never had this issue myself, I always cleaned the fill hole and screw after filling, I don't know if this prevented it or not. But the Mini comes with an o-ring on the fill screw (which is the smallest in the picture of spares) and again I've had no leaks from it. But I am still cleaning the fill hole by inserting a twisted corner of paper towel and into it to get the excess juice after filling.

Thought id try a Nichrome build today to get a few more wraps for bit more surface area. 0.37mm (27g) 9 wraps, 2.5mm ID 0.5 ohms.
2u4ngyg.jpg

2u5ccyd.jpg

Muji Cotton trimmed to edge of the deck.
sfuo1d.jpg

a23uis.jpg

Pop on the lower section of the chimney no need to stuff cotton down the channels. If there is cotton in the threads just guide it over to the juice channel.
wjurfb.jpg

Placing the chimney over the the cotton should pull it down to sit nicely. Tuck any stray strands down.
23kzur8.jpg

Air flow just over half open, 27.5w with 70vg juice. Not bad performance!
ouskk7.jpg

Edit: Someone has finally made a drip tip which fits the Goblin Mini. Check out Vince's Tips on Facebook, available in Stainless Steel/Coloured Acrylic or plain Stainless as below. Top Quality work and Machining. Forget using the Goblins drip tip adaptor, get yourself one of Vince's Tips. Fit perfectly.

w7j87q.jpg

2qmkrgw.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome review mate and that looks nice on the ego one battery. You might have twisted my arm into a purchase.

Thanks for the review. Nice pics too. Sweet looking RTA. I must confess, fill screws are a big turn off for me. Pity, as otherwise I'd be interested in this.

Thanks for the review. Nice pics too. Sweet looking RTA. I must confess, fill screws are a big turn off for me. Pity, as otherwise I'd be interested in this.

Thanks, The fill screw was the reason I held off for so long on the Original Goblin, once I got it I soon forgot about the fill screw :)

I keep telling myself that I don't need any more gear but then things like this come up, I'm awfully tempted. Thanks for the review you did a great job.

Thk u great review, been looking at the goblin mini for a few days now this has cleared a few things up and I will definitely be getting one now.
Just got to find who's doing it at the best price [emoji106]

Very good review bud. The Mini does look very nice, does UD have a scratch and check type code on their products for authenticity as I might get one at some point.

Lovely review...this should be the template for all reviews...fuck having to sit through 40 minutes of some fat old beardy type waffling

Very good review bud. The Mini does look very nice, does UD have a scratch and check type code on their products for authenticity as I might get one at some point.

Yeah they do, the box is sealed with the code on the join of the box.

Great review there, looking forward to getting my hands on mine, the original Goblin was one of my all time favourite tanks

Back
Top Bottom