What's new

Review The SXK Kayfun Prime.

Tubbyengineer

Legend
So my Pre-ordered SXK Kayfun Prime clone arrived last night and after a bit of use - actually I pretty much spent the entire night with it in my hand - I feel I can give a decent enough review.

I wont go into great detail of the construction as I'm sure anyone interested in this will have already looked at reviews for the genuine article.

Since this is an SXK product the likelihood that it was going to be decent quality was pretty high - and it doesn't dissapoint.
While I'm not happy with the packaging, It's a standard thin card outer box with two smaller inner boxes which is no problem in itself but it tries very very hard to look like a genuine Svoe Mesto package, even down to seals with the new SM design on them.
Once opened however the Atomiser itself is totally logo free, not even any laser engraving on the base. Threads are very smooth and crisp and the machining seems very precise, the deck screws fit well and hold the wire securely first time - in fact it took me just a couple of minutes to coil the atty to my liking. theres the usual spares package - including a tiny blue screwdriver, screws and O-rings plus the metal tank section - again plain with no engravings.
I stripped the atty down and everything seems to be of acceptable quality, no burrs no visible dirt to speak of and no machine oil smell.
I popped in an 8 wrap 2.5mm ID, 0.35mm SS316 coil, wicked it with Muji and then filled it with Bunkr Fruit creme.
With the coil registering 0.64 ohms I decided to try first with a fixed wattage vape - as thats what most people will use and at 15.5 watts the Prime is giving an excellent result. Flavour is very good and whilst I can get a restricted lung hit on the widest setting (all 6 dots) it can also be narrowed down to a draw that really reminds me of the old Kayfun 3.1 or Lite. Those folks who hated the newer Kayfuns or the Heron V2 are finally going to have a modern MTL atomiser that feels like the old school MTL attys and with good flavour to boot.

All in all I think SXK have hit it out of the park with this one, and whilst it's not an original it certainly is a quality device that any MTL vaper would be glad to own - especially if you're on a limited budget (The clone cost $24, the original is £98.95).
If you want a Prime and can afford an original go buy one as soon as they come back into stock, if you can't afford the original then you really should lash out on the SXK version - you won't be disappointed...

IMG_0176.jpg

Last edited:
Good review, thanks. I’ve been on and off about whether to pick one of these up, this is tipping me towards going for it.

Sounds like a winner to me then @Tubbyengineer :2thumbsup:
I'm hoping that this may work well for young @JustDave too. We were nattering about older school gear the other night and I did suggest that The Prime just "might" be ideal for him too.;)

Sounds like a winner to me then @Tubbyengineer :2thumbsup:
I'm hoping that this may work well for young @JustDave too. We were nattering about older school gear the other night and I did suggest that The Prime just "might" be ideal for him too.;)
It certainly does feel like the old KFL when you turn the airflow down and I can run it for a pretty restricted lung hit at 6 dots, but it's definetely in proper MTL land at 1 dot. Currently running it in TC with the same SS316 coil and it's vaping like a dream, at this rate my Heron might be finding itself left to one side a bit more often...

It was FT - pre ordered on the 21st, shipped on the 3rd, arrived on the 10th...:grin2:

Sweet, think i'm going to put a cheeky order in for one of these then they have the MAP code working for it as well brings it under $20, cheers pal.

Back
Top Bottom