What's new

Review Cthulhu - Hastur Mini MTL RTA - Yeah, it's great!

Simon G

Olympian
Hastur5.jpg

A bit of background before I get into this review.....

At the end of 2017 @cthulhumod contacted me through the forum and asked me if I'd like to review their new MTL tank the Hastur, I presume they asked me because I'm always here bleating on about MTL, and as anyone would, I said "yes, please" and I was sent that tank for free to review. I'd had less than memorable experiences with the company before being both slightly disappointed with their original MTL RTA and, to be honest, pretty horrified by the MTL RDA. So as I waited for this new tank to arrive I didn't really have a lot of expectations..... so it was somewhat of a shock when I pretty much fell in love with that original Hastur tank, It's big, slightly clumsy and wasn't without some minor things that some people might not like and get annoyed with .... but 6 months on, that tank is still in my top 5 tanks as I recently posted in the MTL forum section thread. It's still never leaked a drop of liquid, however shoddily I wick it up in a hurry, even if I leave it stood for weeks half full it's always bone dry when I pick it up again..... the vape is great and it's never let me down, it's one of the most dependable items of vaping gear I own..... I bloody love that thing.

You can read my original review of the mini's big brother here.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...-hastur-mtl-rta-a-very-very-good-tank.151567/

Fast forward to now.... So I start seeing and hearing about the new Hasur mini and being a cheeky twat (and poor) I contacted Cthulhu and said "Hey, I love the original Hastur any chance you could send me the mini to review too?" I should say right here that I wasn't really expecting them to and if they hadn't I would have bought one and I still would have been writing this review..... but the guys at @cthulhumod were really kind and agreed to send me one, which I am very grateful to them for.

So anyway enough of all that lets have a look at her.

Hastur1.jpg

The RTA comes in a round tin, you get a bag of spares (including fill port grommets, which I didn't get with the original) a little folded manual, a spare frosted glass and the super long tip you've all seen in the promotion pictures, as well as a shorter black delrin type.... everything you'd expect and some nice additions, if they had included a couple of pre-wrapped coils to get you started it would have been perfect. I'm not gonna give you all the sizes measurements and stats for the tank, you can find them on the Cthulhu website, I'm going to be giving you my experiences here.

Hastur2.jpg

as you can see I passed on the two tips that came with it, I don't like metal tips very much and while the black was better for me I decided to use a nice little Ultum coloured one I had in my tip box.... which I love how it looks and using this one I don't seem to get any of the reported condensation either.

Hastur3.jpg

Building the mini is slightly more difficult than the original, mainly just because of the much smaller deck, but also because of the post design. I didn't have any real issues but I did end up using 26awg (2.5mm ID around 1 ohm) because it was just easier to trap the wire than it was with the 28awg. I don't think anyone who's has experience with MTL RTA's before will have too much trouble with this either though. ... for a new vaper, it may not be the easiest. ..... and as already stated in reviews and comments before, yes, you have to make sure you cut your legs flush, sticky out bits will not be happy here, there's just not enough room, keep it tidy and you'll be fine.

Wicking was fine and dandy, I found that slightly easier than on the original big hastur and filling is pretty much the same as the original, I think the grommets are slightly softer on this one though as I found pushing the top down to turn even easier.

How does it vape? really really good. The airflow is tight and dare I say it, prop .... no I'm not going to say that, what I will say is that you aren't going to be lung hitting this, I'm using it on the biggest hole and it's just loose enough for me and the two small holes under the coil seem to do a really good job of spreading the airflow across the whole coil. If you want to go tighter on the draw the option is there. I think almost all MTL vapers will be happy with the range of airflow here and it's smooth and very quiet. Top job.

Hastur4.jpg

I can't lie to you, I love this little thing, the flavour is great, it's a real pleasure to vape on ..... I love it a lot and I think Cthulhu should receive high praise for this tank. They aren't a big company and their products are sometimes hit and miss... but they are fast becoming a company I absolutely adore... and this tank will go straight into my top 5.... no question about that.

Does it leak? ... of course it doesn't.

Do I prefer it to the Savour, yeah I do.

Am I now just gushing about how much I love this tank without being totally subjective? probably.

A massive shout out to @cthulhumod for being lovely people and sending this tank to me to review.

It's good, really good. :)

http://www.cthulhumod.com/

I've been away for the weekend, so just catching up. A good review, I always rate your opinion, so may have to have a little dabble ;-)

I've been away for the weekend, so just catching up. A good review, I always rate your opinion, so may have to have a little dabble ;-)

Still vaping on it .... I do love it, I'm going to buy myself a black one too.

no leaks and I love the airflow, it's spot on for me... a little tighter than I usually vape at, but it works for this tank and it's not stupidly tight or loose, just right.

Great review Simong, thanks for taking the trouble to give us a detailed review. It’s on my list to try. [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom