What's new

Review By Leo, Calix V4

eyeball kid

Legend
Okay. Rob has already done a massively in depth review of the specifications of this rta and the differences from previous incarnations. So with that in mind mine will be more like me "simple"
Rob kindly sent me his calix v4 to try as he is pretty aware of my vaping style and also aware that cost is very much an issue. I don't mind paying for quality but I need to know it's going to be right for me before I invest.
I already have a calix pico (in fact I did have two due to my obsession with backing up my favourites) so this really needed to be special to improve on what I had and to cut a long story short it very much does.
My previous model had a slight airflow adjustment with a screw in the 510 pin the calix v4 is far more user friendly and the airflow is adjusted by an airflow ring, the type we are all used to.This is butter smooth and opens to reveal one 1.6mm airflow hole followed by two 1.8mm holes so you can choose 1.6, 1.8, 3.4mm (both first holes) 3.6mm (both the final holes) or 5.2mm with all holes open, if that makes sense.
In simple terms one hole open reminds me of the old nautilus on the largest hole and it opens up to a nice restricted lung hit and everything in between. This makes sense with the current trend for restricted lung hit becoming pretty standard and stops the possibility of the flavour ever becoming diluted.
The magic with the calix tanks is in both the deck. Probably the easiest deck to coil and wick ever and the flavour condensing chamber that also acts as a juice control by simply turning the drip tip. The juice control can be extremely finely tuned too which is excellent.
Build quality is another level. This feels twice as sturdy as the pico I already have and filling is a breeze by simply closing down the juice control and removing the top with a simple pull.
First I popped in a 2.5mm kanthal (26awg) 1.1ohm coil.
The deck can be turned so you can wick directly (in front of the juice control holes) or indirectly.

I wanted to try as many liquid styles as I could. First up some LiQuid RY4. I wanted to try a generic high pg liquid and I had some of this in the emergency box. As expected it wicked perfectly with the juice control barely open and it blew me away on the flavour front. In fact as the nic was higher than I'm used to it nearly literally knocked me over.
Next up some indigene tamahaak which is a 50/50 juice. This presented me with the best "version" flavour wise of this liquid I've ever had. No matter where I put the airflow the flavour was consistently excellent.
Next up I was going to start pushing thing's so I changed the coil to a 2.5mm 0.5ohm stainless steel Clapton.
You could fit a 3mm coil easy, in fact you could fit two if you wish.
I loaded up the calix with vgod' s dark cubano a 70%vg liquid and opened the juice control to halfway and opened up the airflow.
Boom. I have been unsure of this liquid but at twenty seven watts I reached nirvana. A thick loose mtl/restricted lung hit full of velvety vapour. Absolutely no issues in wicking even when chain vaping. Also due to the Ultem tank and drip tip (there's also a Ultem top cap included) the tank barely became warm.
Last test was some dripworx sweet Kentucky max vg (I believe this is up around 90%vg). Same coil and wick (muji) but I opened the juice control right up but to be honest I expected issues.
Nope no issues at all. In fact I had to close the juice control down a little as I was finding the wicks where a little "juicy". Again this isn't a juice review but the calix v4 offered up the best flavour I've ever had and between each draw comforting air bubbles would stream up each side of the tank reassuring me I wouldn't suffer a dry hit. Excellent.
Needless to say I'm saving my pennies for my own (im halfway there) as this is the best mtl rta I've ever had the privilege of laying hands on. Well built, well thought out and no stupid gimmicks.

Some of us in this strange world of vaping think of people like billie of by Leo as almost vape superstars in as much as we think they make limited runs of these tanks to produce demand before retiring back to their yachts with the profits. This couldn't be further from the truth here. Billie refines, designs and makes these out of the love of a good vape and I guarantee, you all make more per hour than billie makes on the sale of one of these. Support our genius artisans and keep that clone money in your pockets for a few weeks/months however long it takes and get yourself a genuine masterpiece otherwise you will loose them.
By Leo are superstars.
WP_20180122_21_17_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20180122_21_12_59_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Great review. I am definitely buying one. I love the V2 (just had to have 2 of them) but now you pointed out the versatility I am sure I will not regret getting the V4.

Nice review fella, I don't do clones...but may make an exception when a decent one becomes available.

Nice review fella, I don't do clones...but may make an exception when a decent one becomes available.

C'mon :) Support the maker and designer!! Seeing as at the moment there are only two in circulation............... Hopefully it'll be a while before the Cloners get their hands on one.
I understand the whole clone thing, but this manufacturer needs all the support we can give him after suffering in an appalling way at the hands of a very dishonest CNC shop. :( Very nearly went to the wall because of it, hence my pushing and pushing his products.

Back
Top Bottom