Vape Superstore
What's new

Vaporesso Luxe PM40

OzoreXS

Achiever
I´m not afiliated with @Vaporesso or POTV; this review was made just for my own entertainment, its solely my own opinion, and theres is not any interest of any kind behind it.

What can I say thats not already told about this PM40? Maybe nothing, but I´ll do my own way, using my own words and from the perspective of what I am, a DTL vaper ;)

I was lucky (again :D) and won a generous @Vaporesso past Xmas giveaway. A few weeks later, it arrived right at my door.

Lets get started!!

VAPORESSO LUXE PM40

upload_2021-1-24_17-35-32.png

<<< INTRO >>>

2020 has been the year of the Pod/mods/AIO/multi-kits.
For me, the real race started with Vaporesso announcing their Target PM80 late 2019.
The PM80 was, if I´m not wrong, the first vape device using GTX coils. Vaporesso was also one of the first manufacturers using that coilhead format (now there are many on the same boat).

We have seen traditional "POD" changing and evolving for the last 2 years. Nowadays users can choose among many pod options, from the classic MTL focused -Caliburn style- to more polyvalent devices able to offer different vape experiences due to the addition of more advanced vape features like airflow control, big pod eliquid capacity and even the hability of using different replaceable coilheads.

The Luxe PM40 is one of those evolved pods. In the other side of the road, you can find the Xros which is another nice pod but designed to be a more classic pod.

Vaporesso classified this pod inside their "LUXE" product branch, but, how much luxe it has? deserves to be within the LUXE family?
Lets find out.

<<< SPECS & CONTENTS >>>

upload_2021-1-24_17-56-46.png

upload_2021-1-24_17-57-16.png

upload_2021-1-24_17-57-28.png

upload_2021-1-24_17-58-2.png
*Xmas special edition like mine comes also with a lanyard and 2 extra spare coils with the same specs of the original kit (.6 and .8 GTX mesh)

<<< FIRST IMPRESSIONS >>>

As usual, Vaporesso delivered this pod inside a nice and carefully detailed packaging:
upload_2021-1-24_18-3-9.png

As you can see, the packaging is a bit different from the regular one as it was some sort of special Xmas limited edition. However, no special or custom panels were added to the pod. Mine is a carbon fiber effect, well known and widely used finish inside Vaporesso home.

Lets pick it. The first thing I reallized was: its a substantial pod, not heavy (around 80g), but you feel it in the hand.
Shape is ergonomic and allows you to handle as you want, theres not specific way to hold it.
Soft contours, perfectly aligned panels and display, inmaculate paintjob and 100% clean.
It really reminds me the quality of my Luxe mod.
+2 Luxe points ;)

Carbon fiber panels are subtle and needs some lighting to show up its weft. It looks plain black most of the time. Of course its not real carbon fiber but mimics it very well.

The mouthpiece looks comfortable because it is comfortable :D. Nice job here.
The fire button is OK (a bit in the hard to click side), you find it easely and its perfectly placed, whatever the way to hold the pod you will be able to find and click it without covering the airflow slots. Smart design.

Its not too big, I was expecting something bigger due to the 1800mAh battery, but its not too fat. Here, a picture with some familiar for reference:
upload_2021-1-24_18-28-39.png

Love to have one of those great Vaporesso USB cables, it is simply perfect. More on that later.

Papers: warranty, user manual (short and clever), etc.
Enough, lets vape it :D

<<< VAPING IT >>>

upload_2021-1-24_18-20-54.png

I´m vaping the PM40 for a few days, switching the included 0.6 and 0.8 mesh coilhads and the regular 1.2 GTX also. For the 0.6 I used 4mg freebase eliquid and 24mg nic salts for the rest. Both 60VG/40PG.

As Im an airflow hog, I went straight for the 0.6 GTX. Coilhead that I know well because I also use it in my PM80. Prime, let it soak for a few minutes and ready to go.
Lets inspect some common features first.

- Refilling:
This is our first removable top cap pod at home. Its waaaaaay more convenient compared to the regular refilling procedure: take off the pod, open the silicon artifact, fill, wait for the pod to take a breath, fill, -repeat-, clean the liquid mesh, close, clean the remanent mesh, drop the pod back in its place.
Vs
Open the top cap -> refill -> put back the cap on the pod. No need to remove the pod.

upload_2021-1-24_18-34-36.png

This picture was taken after >1000 puffs. Bone-dry. Amazing. Im glad to see the new double o-ring/seal on the GTX coilheads is working properly. Cant see if the condensation chamber in the pod is collecting any liquid but ,sincerelly, how cares if the housing of the pod is nice and clean!
+2 Luxe points ;)

- Airflow control check:
"So this thing comes with an AFC?" Yes it does. And it kinda works.
Wide open, I feel an RDL in the tight side. A bit noisy by the way. Im used to tanks in which you can breath thru them if you want, so I find it quite restrictive... a bit less than a GT CCELL coilhead for comparison.

upload_2021-1-24_18-57-5.png

It decreases to a point I would consider MTL. "Too loose" many say, but I think its perfectly MTL-able.
With the airflow fully closed off, theres no perfect seal; So you can still get a puff due to the air leakage. At this point, I would compare the airflow with a regular MTL tank 1.5/2mm opening.

Lets face it, the drip or mouthpiece its not ideal for a proper MTL. You can MTL it, but you will feel that lack of vacuum.

To operate the AFC you´ll need some nails or a little tool to help it slide into the desired position. But its good the AFC lever do not protrude much.

-Battery:
1800mAh delivers some nice power and lasts for a while.
Even using the 0.6 at the suggested 27w, it makes a whole day and a bit more with no problem.
The whole device tends to heat up a bit if you chainvape a lot... but nothing worrisome, it doesnt even activate the overheat protection.
It fully charges in around 50 minutes using a >2A USB fast charger. And here is where the USB cable matters:
Not all USB cables are the same, there are good, mediocre and terrible cables.
Vaporesso USB cables are top. Really. If you want to use the 2A fastcharge feature, make sure you use their provided USB cable. Otherwise you will wait a bit more. But its not just about waiting but safety. Remember this tip ;)

Oh, the display shows battery life in %. What does it cost?! Love it.

-Chipset and display:
Having a good chipset under the hood and keep things simple its possible.
Display layout and operation cant be more simple. Usual 5 clicks to turn on/off device and 3 to select watts. AND THATS ALL.
The Axon chipset may look underused, but remember that all the protecctions, Smart features, and power delivery are still inside and working.
+2 Luxe points ;)

Talking about power delivery, its does a nice job. You cant perceive any perfomance drop until you are at 10% battery, here you will feel it slightly less powerful.

upload_2021-1-24_19-17-44.png

-Coilheads (finally!):
As I said before, I know each and every GTX coil except the 1.2 mesh. That one is elusive :D.

A) GTX 0.60 = With airflow fully open its a RDL beast. My favourite out of the 3 possible. Flavour resolution and vapour production is out of this world. 24w FTW, good balance and compromise for coil longevity.

B) GTX 0.80 = perfect for loose MTL; as its still mesh, it will last for a good while and the flavour is on point. 15w FTW. Vape is a bit mild compared to the 0.6 IMO.

C) GTX 1.20 (regular) = my choice if I need a good nic punch and more aggresive throat hit. Its obviously poor in vapour production but the flavour is not bad at all. 10.5w FTW.

D) ?¿?¿ GTX 0.30 = not tested yet, I dont even know if chipset will allow to use it on this device. Its a bit no-brainer tho.

Overall, I find it a pleasant quality vape. Its really ease to find the sweet spot and just vape and vape... each puff equal to the last.
Depending on the coil you install, this thing is able to deliver very different vapes and thats a huge pro: being able to choose, depending on what you feel like.
Im used to this feeling when I vape in the PM80, but the AFC gives a bit more play room.

GTX coils are awesome (+2 Luxe points!! :D)
As you know their main challengers and brothers are the PnP and the Manik (and some others not relevant).
Its not a surprise seeing other manufacturers using this coilhead format because it is, for stock coilhead standards, outstanding. These little mother chuckers can perform like others double sized, and flavour resolution is on par with many decent RBAs IMHO.

<<< FINAL THOUGHTS >>>

I like it.
I cant blame Vaporesso of creating it, because its very nice.
-"There are a million of pods out there already!!, its enough"-
Yeah, maybe. But you can buy them or skip them. And if you are loyal or feel affinity with a brand, you usually sitck to it because they never let you down.
Vaporesso have many friends and sympathizers, and you dont achive something like that creating bad vapes. You cant lie to many people or for too long.

Is this a true "LUXE" family member?:
In my opinion, it is. It deserve to have the "Luxe" noun.
Forget about its looking, forget about anything that makes you complain about it and make yourself this question:
-HOW DOES IT VAPE? I bet we will share the same answer: It vapes very nice!
And for me, a nice vape is another form of luxe.

PROS:
- Compact, stylish, ergonomic, good looking
- Takes 4 different coilheads (cross compatible with others!)
- Refilling procedure is simple, convenient and clean
- Axon chip works!
- Battery
- My wife like it. Finally! I found another vape she likes :D

CONS:
- Smart mode could remember the custom power setting if the same pod is dettached/attached. It usually pick a good wattage setting automatically tho.
- Body/frame could be painted with some more attractive colours. That would be the definitive "Luxe" touch.
- Air leaks when AFC fully closed.

So, Im glad to have this piece @Vaporesso created as a "next-gen-pod?" with some nice twists ;)

THANKS FOR READING

upload_2021-1-24_20-0-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-24_18-34-15.png
    upload_2021-1-24_18-34-15.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Smoore
Vape Green
Update #1: Ms. XS

I´ve been looking for an alternative to the Xtra pod for her since almost a year now.
First she tried the Osmall, that was discarded quickly.
Then the Xtra came home.
Shes have been vaping it since it reached her hand. She have burnt like 10 pods so far, not bad considering how much she vapes with it. Each one is lasting for a month for her! thats pretty nice.

I bought a PM80 for her birthday, with 2 non TPD pods and 1.2, 0.8 and 0.6 coils (1 box of each). I tried everything for her liking it, adjust the airflow with the rubber stoppers, coils, wattage... she just doesnt like it. And worse, she doesnt know how to vape it without coughing.
Not a problem, I use it for my 40mg salts trips :D (that shit leaves me like a ragdoll)

Then there was another couple of pods she liked... but just for 1 or 2 days. Damn woman.

BUT that nice people at Vaporesso sent me this one, the Luxe. She vaped it yesterday for the full day (milestone!). Guess what was her first comment: "why this one makes so much flavour?"
She has no idea about vaping, I promise, she cant even mix her salts. This is the proof that it vapes nice, the POV of an ex-heavy smoker means a lot.
Likes & taste, yeah, each to its own. Whatever. It works.
Shes using it with 24mg salts and the 0.8 mesh @15w and airflow 1/5 open ATM, as it the closest to the xtra 0.8 pods. However, vapour production is not the same. GTX coils have much more "kick".

It think the mouthpiece was the key for her. She can MTL the PM40 without any problem, automatically, even with the AFC wide open. She never could do that with the PM80 even with all the intake holes covered. I cant understand, the PM80 its perfecty suitable for MTL.

Its the first time I see her using a vape as vape, enjoying it, playing with the aiflow and the power. She always used her pod as a nicotine deliverer, but now shes really enjoying vaping: the flavours, the throat hit, the nic rush :D ...

Im well chuffed :)

Last edited:
Nice one mate, good review and good to hear your thoughts. Great device and use my most days.

Innokin
Nice one mate, good review and good to hear your thoughts. Great device and use my most days.
Thanks mate, I apreciate some kind works coming from front page reviewers.
Its good indeed.
I will keep using our PM80 for out and about situations as this PM40 is oficially kidnapped and I wont be able to use it anymore :D

Back
Top Bottom