What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Uwell Whirl S.

Astral

Achiever

Uwell Whirl S

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Healthcabin and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF9786 (2).JPG

Uwell have got me all of a Whirl.

In the dizzying world of starter kits this Whirl S device I'm reviewing today is clearly one of the better ones and one of the few that are almost entirely fully featured.

It may be unapologetically basic and a bit of a throwback but it has everything a beginner could want.

Auto-draw? Check. Top-filling? Check. Replaceable coils? Check. Adjustable airflow? Check.

In reality there's not much more Uwell needed to add.

It provides a route into vaping that's far less confusing and intimidating than most bigger kits and it fulfils its remit perfectly.

The only thing it really lacks is adjustable wattage, but then that would conflict with the remit of simplicity so it doesn't really need it.

It has a choice of just one coil - an 18w 0.8ohm Kanthal mesh - and it features a perfectly sufficient 1450mah battery with USB type-C charging that's more than enough to get its clientele through the day.

The window on the tank provides adequate insight into your juice level and the hard-stopping airflow control ring on its base provides a decent level of adjustment.

DSCF9821 (2).JPG DSCF9831 (2).JPG
DSCF9834 (2).JPG DSCF9818 (2).JPG

On the negative side, this does mean you have to remove the tank to set your desired draw, but once it's set it sits inside the mod so it won't move and you can leave it alone.

Filling the magnetised, 2ml tank is easy enough too and can easily be done with it left in place.

Just unscrew the top-cap, poke your bottle’s tip through one of the two kidney style ports and squeeze.

The tank won't rotate in place either because its locating tabs set around its rim lock it into place on the mod.

The only time you really need to remove it is to change the coil or clean it - and both of these are child's play too.

The coils protrude more than enough from the base to be pulled out easily, and cleaning is recommended by simply running it under a tap. You don't even need to risk your nails!

You do need to be a bit careful when doing this though as the plastic hard stopper on the airflow control ring doubles as a clip for holding the coil in place and this could easily be broken if you don't retract it far enough when removing them - but as long as you're mindful of this it does add an extra safety feature.

Another thing that's handy is the mod itself.

DSCF9793 (2).JPG DSCF9794 (2).JPG
DSCF9798 (2).JPG DSCF9802 (2).JPG

It might be just a simple 20mm X 122mm stainless steel pen style kit but it's got a quartz glass viewing window, a removable 510 MTL drip-tip and a nice tri-colour battery level LED indicator around the power button that illuminates green when your battery's above 60%, blue when it's 30 - 60% and red under 30%.

It comes in a choice of four duel matte and polished colours - dark grey, blue, coffee and rainbow.

It's powered by a traditional five clicks on, five clicks off approach and the nicely weighted oblong, dual power/fire button is tactile enough to be intuitive and complements the efficient and effective auto-draw system well.

The non-adjustable 18w mod provides a medium to warm vape and is neither offensive or overpowering but it's probably on the warm side for a beginner kit.

Uwell have billed this as a joint MTL and RDL device hence the wattage and 0.8ohm coil, but given its airflow, it's really just a decent spectrum of MTL.

It's not quite cheek puckeringly tight but it's tight enough to activate the auto-draw well and will enable a smoker to feel they're mimicking a cigarette and transition without it feeling too alien.

If you're more experienced though and prefer to use the fire button, this works equally well too and probably ramps up the coil a little faster.

Vapour production is adequate too while being perfectly acceptable in polite company and the throat hit is satisfying, although this is naturally dependent on the potency and composition of your juice.

As for the flavour, that's fantastic.

The UN2 mesh coils are similar in spec and material to the legendary Caliburn’s so they're naturally going to be good, but their shape is different and they're not interchangeable.

You even get a spare which is not always a given these days.

Once upon a time a spare coil wouldn't have been anything to boast about but times have changed and you don't always get them, but they're an important thing for starter kits as incorrect usage is more likely.

The other things you get in the box are a short USB-C cable, some spare O-rings and your reading literature.

DSCF9842 (2).JPG DSCF9847 (2).JPG

On the whole, my views on this kit are generally positive. There are certainly more pros than cons, and most of the negatives are just me nit picking.

If I'm being hypercritical, I could say that perhaps the tank could have been a little bigger and the coil retention clip a little sturdier but at this price point they're understandable.

All in all, this kit does all it sets out to do and marries the best of old and new together well.

The top fill tank, stainless steel construction and decent battery life combined with the convenience of an autodraw pod is a real boon and provides the user with a feeling of substantiality and solidity that you don't get with a plastic pod kit.

If you're looking at giving up smoking or just want a simple backup device you could certainly do worse than this and I'd certainly have no problem giving it to a friend; I’d happily use it myself too.

Kits like this may not make the world turn but I've been more than happy to give it a Whirl.

If you'd like one you can get one from @Healthcabin for the price of $15.99 here. You can also get 30% off just for signing in and a further 10% for being a new customer.

HealthCabin is also one of the biggest vape wholesale distributors in China. If you're a vape business owner, just contact them to get competitive wholesale prices.

Performance: 8.5
Flavour: 8
Aesthetics: 8.5
Build quality: 8
Value for money: 9

Great review mate. Will keep it in mind.

Nice one xx

Great stuff mate, great review and looks a jolly good bit of kit!

Thanks guys, this one was the biggest surprise out of my three @Healthcabin reviews. I ended up really liking this one and using it a lot. The draw on it is perfect and the flavour good too. I'm still using it now the review is over and will continue to do so. For the price, it's well worth a look, particularly as something pocketable or for converting smokers.

Thanks guys, this one was the biggest surprise out of my three @Healthcabin reviews. I ended up really liking this one and using it a lot. The draw on it is perfect and the flavour good too. I'm still using it now the review is over and will continue to do so. For the price, it's well worth a look, particularly as something pocketable or for converting smokers.
I've got one still in its box! Looking forward to trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom