What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Uwell Havok V1.

Astral

Achiever

Uwell Havok V1.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Sourcemore and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

IMG_20210624_133445 (2).jpg

The Uwell Havok.

When the lovely people at @Sourcemore sent this to me for review I thought that was exactly what they were playing with me.

I’d already got plenty on my plate and didn’t really need another review to do, but being an obliging chap I did my duty and gave it a go - and fortunately it was ultimately to my benefit and gain - and as a simple pod system it certainly wasn’t a challenging one.

It was quite enjoyable in the end.

Everything about this kit seemed well thought out and intuitive. There’s nothing revolutionary here but the coils are great and the handily membraned, top fill system and simple airflow slider a real boon too.

The pod is well affixed and clicks into place with a pleasing snap so there’s no rattle or looseness - and well I say well affixed, I mean well affixed. It’s actually too well affixed - I couldn’t get it off to start with and almost broke my nails trying!

But once you do, all you’ve got to do is find your preferred coil, fill your pod to its 4ml [or 2ml TPD] capacity, set your airflow and off you go.

The fixed drip-tip can make this a little difficult for the largest of bottles but if you’re using a regularly sized one you won’t have too many problems.

Filling and adjusting the airflow are no trouble at all though. While the sliders may be simple, they’re tensioned perfectly and remarkably effective.

IMG_20210624_133946 (2).jpg IMG_20210624_133957 (2).jpg
IMG_20210624_134045 (2).jpg

Aesthetically it’s a bit of a love it or hate it affair. From it’s glossily polished-in branding on the matte side to the resin panelled ‘Jackson Pollock-ian’ splatter design on the other, it’s going to be a matter of taste.

Fortunately you can only see the branding when it catches the light but the size of it is probably a bit too much for most, and some of the details could easily have gone on the bottom where the USB-C charging port sits instead.

It would have been nice to have had continuity on both sides rather than the seeming indecision - but it does come in a nice range of basic primary colours - black, red, silver, green and blue.

The boxy, rectangular nature of it could also be a deal maker for the piddlier pawed amongst us too.

DSCF9235 (2).JPG IMG_20210624_133725 (2).jpg
DSCF9244 (2).JPG DSCF9258 (2).JPG

You may or may not find this comfortable and want to give it a try first, but nonetheless, it fitted me perfectly and none of this affects the performance of it, and this is where it really does well.

As I started out by saying though: this is a really intuitive device. A real ABC, painting by numbers affair, and unless you’re a complete newbie you’ll pretty much know how to operate it before you even begin - and even beginners will pick it up pretty quickly.

Five clicks on, five clicks off and two buttons to scroll through the stacked, simple, black and white menu that features all your basic information like your wattage, voltage, resistance, battery life, puff time and puff counter, on the bright 0.96in OLED screen.

Holding the left and fire button down together locks the device, and doing the same with the right one locks the settings. Holding them together clears the puffs.

Another plus is that it also has smart technology that prevents you from overstretching your coil and maxes it out at a decent 65w.

IMG_20210624_133828 (2).jpg IMG_20210624_133828 (3).jpg

The 101g aluminium alloy 100mm x 42.9mm x 19.2mm construction balances the mod nicely in the hand and the fire button has a nice feel to it with a comfortable depression.

The airflow can be adjusted reasonably tightly too. It can do a decent-ish MTL, but it’s clearly aimed at more of an RDL/DTL market, but as long as you know this you won’t be in for any surprises.

On the down side, the airflow is a little audible as it draws its current from the near top, side-set slider to the underside of the coil. This is a design hazard and one I’m prepared to live with though as I feel it makes for a better vape.

The drip-tip is comfortable in the mouth and slightly conical in shape, tapering at the tip. Unfortunately if you don’t like it you can’t change it as it’s moulded into place.

Firing is pretty quick too and ramp up time is pretty minimal, delivering excellent flavour from the coils whichever one you choose - and so far there are only two, although that’s likely to increase in time.

With a bit of luck perhaps they’ll even introduce a dedicated MTL one which would arguably enhance this device no end and may even be the making of it.

I’m certainly going to look forward to what they have to offer with this kit in the future too as coils really are Uwell’s strong point.

In the box you naturally only get the two medium resistance ones on offer for now though so you can’t stretch it to it’s limits yet but they’re both good performers all the same.

These consist of your pre-installed Meshed 0.25ohm one and a 0.6ohm spare.

You don’t get much else though. You only get some spare O-Rings and a range of glossy leaflets and literature.

There’s unusually not even a USB-C cable for your 5v/2amp charging. I couldn’t believe it when I opened it. I thought there’d been some sort of oversight with mine, but nope, I checked, no cable. What’s going on Uwell?

I know I’ve got a million already but even so… Maybe it’s part of some sort of forthcoming green agenda? We can but hope I guess.

Vaping it is already quite green though. It’s certainly fairly low on the power consumption stakes.

IMG_20210624_134756 (2).jpg IMG_20210624_135059 (3).jpg

If you’re a lighter end vaper, vaping will easily last you a whole day with its built in 1800 mah battery and recharging to full capacity takes less than an hour.

Enviably it also has pass through protection so you can still vape it while tethered. I always find this an excellent addition purely in case I forget to top-up. We can all be forgetful, can’t we? Me more than most.

The presentation of the device is satisfying and features good quality boxing too.

The literature comes in a nice sleeve and the mod and the coils in a nice foam tray.

All in all, I’ve found this to be a very effective and practical device that is already good to use and has the potential to be even better when the new coils come out.

If you love vaping, or just love boxes dressed in Hawaiian shirts, you’ll probably love this.

In a nutshell, it all comes down to whether you like the looks of it, and if it offers you what you want.

Personally I’d have preferred a little more for MTL users from the outset but that’s just me, and it seems par for the course these days. You can still do a decent MTL but the mid-tier coils make it mostly a little loose and the initial spurning of us pucker suckers from the get-go is a little neglectful.

In time I suspect that will change and lower resistance coils will tighten it up perfectly. It’s certainly not far off now.

It would also have been nice if they could’ve made it a little quieter too, but as I said, I understand why it isn’t.

That said there’s nothing major to complain about here and many positives - and if it suits you, there are far worse pod systems to get, and with its build quality you’ll probably find it a happy investment, particularly with the wonderful coils already available and potentially even more to come.

Now all you need is a nice Hawaiian shirt to match your new pod and probably a pair of sunglasses to view it through!.

I feel sure to say that if Magnum PI vaped, it would probably be this - and who doesn’t want to be Magnum PI? Tom Selleck eat your heart out.

If you want one you can get one from @Sourcemore here for the special price of $27.99 using the code: HAVOK.

Last edited:
Great review as usual Astral! I've been surprised by the flavour from the 0.25 coil (not tried the 0.6 yet) and pretty much agree with all you've said here, shame it sounds like living next to East Midlands airport but all in all I really quite like it.

Great review as usual Astral! I've been surprised by the flavour from the 0.25 coil (not tried the 0.6 yet) and pretty much agree with all you've said here, shame it sounds like living next to East Midlands airport but all in all I really quite like it.

Lol, thanks @ForestMagpie. It is a bit audible isn't it?

I just want to be Magnum PI though. Now I've got the Hawaiian pod, I just need the 308!

I think my neighbours think I'm testing a new jet engine. Ha ha but do you have the Hawaiian shirt?

Unfortunately not, but I might have to get one. Still in thermals at the moment, Hawaiian thermals might be a new thing though? I think I'm on to something here!

Thanks for the review mate. Not subtle enough for me looks wise and not ideal for MTL. Good to know its capabilities though.

Thanks for the review mate. Not subtle enough for me looks wise and not ideal for MTL. Good to know its capabilities though.

Thanks @rew, much appreciated. They certainly intended it to eye-catching that's for sure.

Thanks for the review. Has anyone tried cutting the airflow off completely? Does that help with the noise and offer a decent MTL experience? I saw GrimmGreen do it in his review.

Back
Top Bottom