What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Ulton DotShell style Rba for DotAio/OhmAio

red5

Achiever
Ulton DotShell style Rba for DotAio/OhmAio

2DF497F5-428E-43F5-9426-C9CDA6B16438.jpeg

Having recently purchased the OhmAio I was interested in trying out the atmizoo DotShell rba, but at nearly three times the cost of the OhmAio t was a hard sell… luckily the clones have started to make an appearance and here I’ll be trying out the Ulton clone which I purchased from 2fdeal.

It comes in the usual plastic tub common to most clones these days which protects things well during shipping. Inside are three plastic baggies containing the tank and rba in the first, a 510 adapter in the second, and the optional airflow adapters and spare deck screws in the last. It’s good that the optional mtl airflow pins are included as this gives you everything you need although it’s a little disappointing that there aren’t any spare o-rings included in the package.

2625A726-542A-4DAD-AD30-EBE6F31B715B.jpeg

The build quality seems fairly good overall although there is a fair bit of chatter inside the chimney section in particular which I’m sure you wouldn’t get on an authentic atmizoo product. The fill port plug seems much more robust than the one on the OhmAio tanks as well so hopefully it won’t disintegrate after a weeks use like that did.

3C32E1F9-96D6-4998-A53D-0C4DA1799995.jpeg

The deck comes apart by unscrewing the positive pin from the bottom if you want to use the included 2mm airflow adapter, if you want to use the optional 1.0, 1.2 and 1.5mm airflow these plug into the standard 3.8mm airflow from the top. When you put everything back together make sure you keep track of the peek insulators and you’re going to need to get everything tight as the positive pins hold the positive block in place as well.

D59C0131-DBC1-4DD5-9548-9F3F4CD53A20.jpeg

For my first build I went with a simple round wire build around a 2.5mm bit which came out to 1.2 ohms with the 1.2 mm airflow adapter. Trapping the wires under the screws was tricky as they had a tendency to pop out, I found wrapping the legs around the screw and clipping the leads on the inside of the deck worked best in this application, if you look at the bottom right photo you can see where I’ve clipped the lead to give you a better idea. Wicking was super easy, simply cut the wicks at the edge of the deck juice everything up and fit the tank over the top.

This gave a much better mtl experience than the official DotAio/OhmAio rba and this is definitely the way to go if that’s your preferred vaping style. The ulton package comes with the full range of airflow pins plus the adjustable afc so you should be able to find the setting to suit your style, although one obvious downfall of this system is that you need to remove the coil to change the pins.

24247737-BB9B-4150-941C-CC1D42783BB4.jpeg

My second build was a small fused Clapton. Trapping the leads under the screws was easier but I did find that I had to really crank those screws down as I the legs popped out from under the screws a couple of times whilst I was attempting to straighten the coil out, you also need to make sure you clip the leads really flush with the deck so you won’t short out on the chimney as well… it looks like pulling the legs around the screw and clipping on the inside of the deck may be a better option.

The coil came out a little higher than I anticipated at 0.51ohms, it was a piece of wire I had laying around my desk from a previous coiling session and I think it may have 0.25mm cores rather than the 0.29mm cores I thought it was (calculations on steam engine seem to bear this out as well). Now this is more my speed, a nice restricted direct lung vape with plenty of flavour and you almost certainly wouldn’t be able to get this build in the DotAio/OhmAio rba sections. Whilst the chassis of the OhmAio still provides a good bit of the restriction I also found that the afc on the ulton DotShell is far more effective than the DotAio/OhmAio rbas allowing you to further tweak the airflow to your liking.

Pros:
  • Decent quality clone, although not as well made as the authentic
  • Works in the OhmAio (for those of us who don’t have the DotAio)
  • Deck is fairly easy to work on allowing greater flexibility for your builds
  • Comes with the optional mtl airflow pins included

Cons:
  • Can be tricky to capture leads under the screws
  • No spare o-rings
Conclusion:

This is still fairly expensive at around £24 given I only paid around £21 for the for the OhmAio, it is however around a third of the cost of an authentic DotShell so is fairly good value for money in comparison. Obviously the build quality isn’t quite the same with some obvious tool marks etc. but it is still perfectly functional and is light years away from the original DotAio/OhmAio rbas in terms of flexibility and performance. I’m more than happy with my purchase so far and this is definitely worth a look.

Antony Lord

Cheers for the review, looks to be what the Ohm needs.

Fair play, they took a fair few chunks out of that chimney piece ;)

So those deck screws, are the underside of the heads chamfered ? is that whats pushing the wire out, or are the heads just too small ?

Do you know the tank capacity of the Dotshell @red5 ? Can't find any info on that.

No idea and I don’t have any syringes etc. to make a measurement. The original tank/coil combination is supposed to be 2ml and the DotShell chimney takes up less room than a DotAio coil so I would guess at least an extra 0.5 to 1.0 ml capacity.

No idea and I don’t have any syringes etc. to make a measurement. The original tank/coil combination is supposed to be 2ml and the DotShell chimney takes up less room than a DotAio coil so I would guess at least an extra 0.5 to 1.0 ml capacity.

Cheers Antony. Gives me some idea at least.

I have the same one coming soon hopefully and will see for myself what it's like compared to the ohmvape rba which I find not that bad compared to other aio ones I've tried

Back
Top Bottom