What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

The Underdog copper mech review

crunchynut

Achiever
Hey apes just thought I'd put up a review on the Underdog copper mech mod by Cloud Chasing Club ( CCC ) after some of you have shown interest.

So CCC is a small company run by James Russell who makes a hand full of vaping gear like rda caps and now his first mech The Underdog. I first started to buy off James when he had the Puffpalace website where he mainly sold clones then decided to go towards the authentic market so he started to sell authentic gear through his new site Vapor-royalty.com. At Vape Collective this year it was great to finally meet him have a chat about what he has been doing and what's to come. After chatting I was very impressed with his new mod so a couple of days later I got in touch to purchase one and being born on Oct 10th I was buzzing to be sorted out with number 10.
It's Rrp is £70 which for an authentic full copper mod with unique switch design I thought was amazing value and TBH when I ordered mine I was expecting it to be a lot more.

So here is the specs of the Underdog and then my thoughts but first why did he pick the name The Underdog ??
Well when James decided he was going to have a go at making a mechanical tube mod he was told by already established mod makers to stick to making top caps which you could look at that as a challenge and an insult so he gave us The Underdog.

The Underdog takes a single 18650 cell and is a fully mechanical hybrid competition mod

Specs

• 24MM Hybrid Full Copper Mechanical Mod Seamless Tube.

• Large Threads To Help Reduce Voltage Drop.

• Silver Plated Copper Contact.Self Adjusting Delrin Insulator, No Battery Rattle Side To Side Or Up And Down.

• Silver Plated Neodymium Magnets Plus An Optional Silver Plated Copper Spring.
Limited Run Of 300

I have not tested this mod in away other than vaped with it at builds ranging from 0.3 to 0.08 and I will say it hits very hard with no hot button issues.. I'd say on top of the finish what puts the Underdog up with the best is all in the switch, it's a fixed button unlike your typical screw off switch like a VCM but you can take it apart by unscrewing the bolt with a socket with a long arm. The Contact is machined dead flat to reduce arcing though in the photo below you will see a bit on mine as it is silver plated so with that its unavoidable but compered to others I can see it has reduced it , the reason behind the bolt design was so that part of the contact would constantly be in contact with the mod body meaning it was always grounded until you push the button - this helps reduce voltage drop in the mod itself and contains most of the nominal voltage that is left in the mod in the contact, also large threads on the contact and button make for less voltage drop. The button is a flush switch so no locking ring is required and has the CCC logo nicely engraved on it with serial number. With it being magnets it’s quite easy to fire with a short throw, you can also swap the magnets out with spring provided if you wish.
That's the switch the body is a copper tube with simple vertical groves going round to give it a sleek line design, in the hand though not particularly uncomfortable you do feel them, then you have the hybrid top which is removable to insert your battery.
All threads are machined well and smooth though on mine the hybrid ring does have a little movement in it which could be due to the wide threading but when all tightened down with rda screwed on and battery in there is no movement. All this comes in a black presentation box with a dogs face logo, inside with your mod you get one spring if you don’t want magnets and a safety card.

My thoughts
I think James has done an excellent job on the mod, I’ve been very happy with it as it looks good has a superb finish, hits hard and for me has a perfect easy to fire switch. It looks really well with the CCC competition cap and hopefully they will have other finishes soon namely brass for me or black would be nice. This is a link to where you can find them and a few pictures I've took of mine.

thanks for reading

https://vapor-royalty.com/products/the-underdog-mod-cloud-chasing-club

hdr_1466566502508.jpg

hdr_1466566580149.jpghdr_1466566742778.jpg hdr_1466566681526.jpg hdr_1466570303972.jpg

Attachments

• hdr_1466566998957.jpg
    hdr_1466566998957.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 199
  • hdr_1466566377508.jpg
    hdr_1466566377508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
  • hdr_1466570241877.jpg
    hdr_1466570241877.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 153
  • hdr_1466566902003.jpg
    hdr_1466566902003.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 245
  • hdr_1466566634899.jpg
    hdr_1466566634899.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Been waiting for tax rebate to come for this, hopefully there'll still be some left by Thursday

Excellent review. Thanks very much @crunchynut. I didn't know any of the story behind it, very interesting. I'm supposed to be saving a few pennies for vapefest, but I'm seriously tempted by this.

I'm still a bit confused by the switch though. Probably just being really stupid, is that a nut on top of the switch (inside the tube) that needs to be undone to take out the switch? Does it come with a tool to be able to get the switch out? If not, do you know what size spanner/wrench/ whatever is needed?

Looks like a great mod at a good price. I just think that if I'm spending that kind of money I'd want something I can strip down.

Again though, a great review. Not only interesting to read, but full of information and background on the mod too. Please keep them coming @crunchynut. [emoji106][emoji2][emoji108]

Excellent review. Thanks very much @crunchynut. I didn't know any of the story behind it, very interesting. I'm supposed to be saving a few pennies for vapefest, but I'm seriously tempted by this.

I'm still a bit confused by the switch though. Probably just being really stupid, is that a nut on top of the switch (inside the tube) that needs to be undone to take out the switch? Does it come with a tool to be able to get the switch out? If not, do you know what size spanner/wrench/ whatever is needed?

Looks like a great mod at a good price. I just think that if I'm spending that kind of money I'd want something I can strip down.

Again though, a great review. Not only interesting to read, but full of information and background on the mod too. Please keep them coming @crunchynut. [emoji106][emoji2][emoji108]
Thanks for that really appreciated with it being the first time I've wrote a review.

Yes it can be stripped down, I will have a go today let you know if it's an easy task to do. TBH it looks easy as it basically comes apart the way any other switch will just you get to it from the inside. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a tool as that would bump the price up but all you need is a 11mm socket attached to a long arm to reach it just like in the picture will do the job, you'd probably pick a cheap one up in the tool section of a pound shop or something. I will check but what I think you'd do is press the button in so the contact on the inside is up then put you socket in there to unscrew once that's off it will have 2 magnets opposed to each other.
I'll follow up soon as I've done it

Oh and yeah I'm trying to save for Vapefest to plus James will have a stand there and may have a Vapefest offer on.
uploadfromtaptalk1466858594956.jpg

If you liked my review but not keen on copper James posted this picture today which makes me happy as I knew about this last month and have been waiting on the black ones. I'll post more specs in an hour after I've spoke to him.
He is taking order but only had small batches so most will have gone but more are due in about 10 days
uploadfromtaptalk1467836067046.jpg

Also the copper Underdogs are doing that well they are now available from over vendors like Vapesque

Back
Top Bottom