Innokin
What's new

Review Geekvape Athena mech squonk kit.

eyeball kid

Legend
Now first off, like Mr teatime's recent excellent review of the aleader killer this was sent to me by Maggie from @Healthcabin
Normally I avoid such requests but She offered no pressure apart from to try it out. In the spirit of this I offer a review.
As ever I would normally offer this up for freebies after but I'm passing it on to a fellow ape (Name available on pm if you feel there's any funny business). I will however be offering some fine juice up later or tomorrow depending on time. So keep em peeled.

This is a classic and now familiar design of an 18650 squonker. Silver plated contacts, nice sturdy button and a mercifully leak free 510 to bottle connection.
The kit comes with a choice of two bottles. One firm like the classic wraith, inbox style. One of the newer soft silicone style ones. I personally prefered the firm but both worked excellently and without leak or issue.
The Athena is a full mech device which means no circuits, no protection and no clicky fire button. The button just pushes the silver plated contact to complete the circuit between battery and rda.
Geekvape have built in a nice external slide switch under the fire button that engages a locking bar when not in use to prevent accidental firing. I suggest you make use of this. The box itself is very compact and made from some kind of alloy so probably the most solid mech squonker I've ever tried. The squonk hole is perfectly placed and comfortable to use and both side panel's are removable and reveal another hole to help you remove the battery which is a nice touch. The geometric design on the side's is very tasteful too.
I've had the chance to try a few of the big "collectable" branded mech squonkers before and also spent a few weeks with the excellent pulse and I can say this little squonk box hits as hard if not harder than any I've tried before. It is incredibly hard hitting with a fresh battery and a suitably set up rda (we shall get to that shortly) I first tried a few of my own rda's as the kits that have previously been released have been extremely disappointing in the rda department. I started with my everyday mtl choice, the strike. This offered up an excellent vape if a little pokey with a freshly charged cell. I then tried the sentinel with a simple nichrome 0.5 coil and again an excellent vape was provided.
With trepidation I then coiled up the Athena rda with a brochrome flatwire 0.3 ohm coil. And awaited a washed out vape.
No. This rda is actually very good indeed. It's designed perfectly for what most mech squonk user's want. Top airflow to prevent leaks from over squonking (the airflow is adjustable from closed to wide open). The deck is similar to what we've seen in rda's like the cosmonaut. A block with four holes for coil legs and the coil is mounted above the deck. Unlike the csmnt there's a deep well under the deck which the squonk pin feeds into and into which your wick tails feed down into. A very good design indeed and unlike previous rda's this one has really been designed perfectly for the job. Plumes of thick tasty vapour poured out of this thing and my choice of bunkr rhubarb tart wasn't wasted.
Technically you could dual coil this with little issue but for the best results from a mech squonker a single coil is best.
Mrs kid thought I was a walking air freshener.
If your after a hard hitting mech squonker this is it. Yes you can pay five times the price for a designer logo but you would struggle to better the performance and this one seems pretty indestructible unlike some pretty expensive 3d models I've seen with shabby finishes.

Now then mech squonkers. I don't like them, there I said it. I can absolutely see the attraction. For a mtl fan like me you get to sample all the flavour notes of your juice as you work down the voltage. For a lung hitter they are simple, easy to maintain and fix and at this level offer an incredible vaping experience. If you are new to squonking a big bottle (7mls here) of juice on tap and one button does it all.
On this forum I know that anyone after one or using one is well catered for with safety advice and build experience but these new wave of powerful and affordable Chinese boxes are turning up in every high street juice peddler and I worry what instructions are being given. In educated hands these are a joy but to the new vaper (and the customer is always right) These are terrifying to me.
The exclusive nature of squonking previously kept these in the right hands but now, not so much.
That's just my self righteous rant and ultimately I'm sure it's none of my business.
My summary for POTV members is if you ever wondered what all the fuss is about. This is the complete package to answer your questions. It's a fantastic kit. Can't find fault in the design or operation, Christ even the rda is decent. If your already a squonk fan then this is a perfect all day beater and should last you years.
The kit is available from health cabin and if you use the code athena15 you get 15% off. (Active until 06/03/2018)
https://www.healthcabin.net/geekvape-athena-squonk-kit-color-p/17311.html
New zazzy colours too.
Edit: Looks like the colours have flown out. Here's the other link.
https://www.healthcabin.net/geekvape-athena-squonk-kit-p/16115.html

Pics to follow.
WP_20180221_22_48_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20180221_22_48_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20180221_22_48_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20180221_22_48_25_Pro.jpg

Apologies for photo dump. The phone is having a moment.
Just a quick update.
Healthcabin are running a giveaway on an aio package. Maggie asked me to pass it on and she's such a nice lady I will.

http://vape.healthcabin.net/justfog-minifit-giveaway/

Last edited:
Vape Club
Beautifully written and explained, THIS is what we NEED more of Folks. Concise Reviews such as these are to be applauded.
Lovely Job @eyeball kid :) That has earned you extra Onion Rings I shouldn't wonder!! :worship:

Vape Green
Cracking review mate, and I too share your concerns about the potential dangers in uninitiated hands. Then again tube mods have been available for years, and not all vendors check buyers are suitable for them.

I have two of these, mod only, which are up there as my favs, usually used daily, though your findings on the rda make me wish I'd got the full kit too. Might have to purchase another, but full monty this time.

One of mine has however just developed a fault, which I have resolved, though I suspect it's only a temporary fix. So my only complaint for the mod is that the 510 unit doesn't fully strip down, because I suspect the fault is internal. Thankfully the MM 510 will fit, with slight modification to the metal connection strip, as I really don't want to be without it.

The form factor and simplicity is great, and £ for £ knocks everything (and I mean everything) I own out of the park.

Premier Ecigs
Cracking review mate, and I too share your concerns about the potential dangers in uninitiated hands. Then again tube mods have been available for years, and not all vendors check buyers are suitable for them.

I have two of these, mod only, which are up there as my favs, usually used daily, though your findings on the rda make me wish I'd got the full kit too. Might have to purchase another, but full monty this time.

One of mine has however just developed a fault, which I have resolved, though I suspect it's only a temporary fix. So my only complaint for the mod is that the 510 unit doesn't fully strip down, because I suspect the fault is internal. Thankfully the MM 510 will fit, with slight modification to the metal connection strip, as I really don't want to be without it.

The form factor and simplicity is great, and £ for £ knocks everything (and I mean everything) I own out of the park.
Thanks yoda. I know your a fan. It is excellent as you already said. The problem with the mech squonkers is they've arrived at a time when vaping is really hitting it's stride. When mechs where popular we had one vape shop in town and you had to know your stuff before you could get one. Also by the very nature of the prices back then they where only for the advanced now I see much squonkers in shops where the sales assistants don't even able let alone know ohms law and for under £30. You couldn't get an I stick 20 for that back then. Believe it or not our local petrol station has a costa and subway concession and has now added a totally wicked concession. Totally wicked at the petrol station.

Thanks yoda. I know your a fan. It is excellent as you already said. The problem with the mech squonkers is they've arrived at a time when vaping is really hitting it's stride. When mechs where popular we had one vape shop in town and you had to know your stuff before you could get one. Also by the very nature of the prices back then they where only for the advanced now I see much squonkers in shops where the sales assistants don't even able let alone know ohms law and for under £30. You couldn't get an I stick 20 for that back then. Believe it or not our local petrol station has a costa and subway concession and has now added a totally wicked concession. Totally wicked at the petrol station.
Yep worrying mate. Maybe this year will be a better year for multi cell regulated squonkers, that don't need big hands or a trolley to manage it, or something akin to the Pico squeeze, but that can handle 24mm+ attys, and as safe and affordable.

For me the Athena ticks all my boxes.

AcmeFog
Yep worrying mate. Maybe this year will be a better year for multi cell regulated squonkers, that don't need big hands or a trolley to manage it, or something akin to the Pico squeeze, but that can handle 24mm+ attys, and as safe and affordable.

For me the Athena ticks all my boxes.
I'm with you. With eleaf making there boards smaller I'm hoping they do something on the dual cell pico design. Wouldn't need more than an extra mm all round and we'd have a tiny 200w squonker. Perfect.

Good review that. I've got exactly the same finish on my Athena, and apart from Woody The Squonker, which I fashioned out of a 3d printed box and MM bits, it's pretty much the only squonker I use. The Pulse had to go, and my Squeeze just sits there looking forlornly as I pass it by to pick up my Athena. Some people mentioned it is a little "sharp" in the hand, what with its very pointy corners and sides, but it packs a punch and I got used to it pretty much in minutes. Like Yoda, I only bought the mod, but paired with a Narda it's pretty much perfect.

E-liquids.com
Good review that. I've got exactly the same finish on my Athena, and apart from Woody The Squonker, which I fashioned out of a 3d printed box and MM bits, it's pretty much the only squonker I use. The Pulse had to go, and my Squeeze just sits there looking forlornly as I pass it by to pick up my Athena. Some people mentioned it is a little "sharp" in the hand, what with its very pointy corners and sides, but it packs a punch and I got used to it pretty much in minutes. Like Yoda, I only bought the mod, but paired with a Narda it's pretty much perfect.
I have to be honest. I was really surprised how good the rda was. As I said these complete box set ups have been disappointing in the rda dept with the exception of the pulse which already had a well established squonk rda but this one really is the complete package and I'm not being payed to say that and as good as it is I don't keep review items.

Back
Top Bottom