What's new

Why did I struggle with these claptons?

gscott1979

Achiever
Just thought I'd knock up some claptons ready in case my aromamizer comes in the post tomorrow,just as I was doing so it occurred to me I used to go through loads of wasted wire cursing the things every time I tried to make them,then it all just clicked the moment I started to put my pinky through the middle of the spool of 32awg to feed it and lightly hold the core wire with thumb and forefinger and fire the drill up full speed et' voila-clapton wire

I use fishing swivels when i do any coils now. For fused claptons i use 26 and 44awg. The 44 is like hair and any tension or seating cores snap it straight away, plus with swivels you dont get a kink in them if that makes sense.

Might have to try this in the future, have got some swivels out in the shed. Have tried it with a drill and a pair of pliers, managed to get enough for one coil then avalanche snapage occurred.

I use fishing swivels when i do any coils now. For fused claptons i use 26 and 44awg. The 44 is like hair and any tension or seating cores snap it straight away, plus with swivels you dont get a kink in them if that makes sense.
I tried everything before,the pen trick,rob from Stealthvape's brass tube method a few others that I saw and the swivel but that didn't work either all that did was snap the core wire over n over,the way I do them now I can whip up a few feet in a couple of minutes

Another good tip is straighten the core wire 1st. Put one end in the drill and hold the other end with pliers. Once you spun it to straighten it dont let go of the pliers end yet, keep it tight. Use your other hand to hold the wire close to the pliers BEFORE you let go because if you just let go it can twist back on you, if you hold it close to the pliers and then let go it ends up perfectly straight.

Another good tip is straighten the core wire 1st. Put one end in the drill and hold the other end with pliers. Once you spun it to straighten it dont let go of the pliers end yet, keep it tight. Use your other hand to hold the wire close to the pliers BEFORE you let go because if you just let go it can twist back on you, if you hold it close to the pliers and then let go it ends up perfectly straight.
Yeah that's what I do to straighten my kanthal

Back
Top Bottom