What's new

Ni200 coils or wire taste degradation

vape_buddy

Postman
hi,
Have you noticed a taste difference in the Ni coils within a day? I have tried several and always felt the difference and even the vapor production is reduced within a day of using them. Please share your experience too. Thanks

Which Ni coils are you using? Stock heads or building your own? I've never used stock ni200 coils, the ones I build myself tend to gunge up a little over time (2 or 3 days) and I need to increase the temperature slightly to overcome this as basically as the coils get coated the more heat they retain and the more your device will throttle back the power. I'd assume it's similar for stock heads especially with sweeter juices which will caramelise over the wire and gunk it up faster.

my stock ni200 coils in my arctic tank taste a bit metalic for the first tank then there fine for 4-5 days before they gunk up and vapor production starts to suffer

Thanks for your input. I have used kanger, ego one and melo stock coils. They all taste bad. I think the reason you mentioned is quite right. It's also true that one may feel metallic taste when new coils are used. Sometimes I get scared of using these coils because we are dealing with unknown.
So to conclude to increase the vapours after it starts felling a bit low the solution is to increase the temp n look for the gunge up coils.

It's a work around but a completely gunned coil is not going to work properly and increasing the temperature further will result in nasty stuff being formed by the heat which is one of the biggest reasons for using temp control in the first place. The problem is often the wicking of stock coils (one of the most important aspects of temp control) and the quality of the coiling itself is variable considering the asking price. This is one of the biggest reasons why I build my own coils.

Thanks beastie. Do you have any particular type of stock coil in mind which works best in temp control. Like dalta ii coils, Uwell coils etc? I have built few coils and have got 28g and 26g ni200 wires. Used 28g on subtank and it hardly last 3days taste wise. Strange but I have a feeling that there is something to Ni wire it's not like kanthal and does degrade. I will check on my next attempt to see whether there was any thickness change or not. Need a screw gauge though [emoji3]

I've yet to try any ni200 coils, have got some wire ready for when my bellus arrives. Will let you know once I've built a few. I think the ni200 is softer than kanthal so it's not gonna last as long. But we'll see.

There's plenty on how to build decent temp control coils in the relevant forum section, it's definitely worth checking g out. Stealthvape have a wire called NiFe30 which works reasonably well with nickel mode, check out DanB's post on wire selection for TC. As I said I'm not familiar with TC stock coils. 26g ni200 takes a lot of wraps to make a decent coil. I usually use 28g,spaced coils. One thing I do is to use alcohol wipes to clean the wire as thoroughly as possible and then use gloves when I wrap it to prevent any of the oil on your hands transferring to the wire or cotton. In the subtank mini I find 10 wraps or so of 3mm diameter 28g ni200 works well. To evenly space a coil wrap a normal contact coil and then stretch it when it's still on the coiling tool and then push it back together and it'll spring put evenly. Wicking wise, you should have a loose and fluffy cotton wick which you can pass with no resistance through the coil and with as short wick tails as possible, this seems to get the best results.

Good advice @Beastie, have had a look on coil winding apps and had figured it was going to be a pretty big coil. Are the gloves necessary? Can't say I've used them for that before!

Back
Top Bottom