What's new

E-cig battery explodes in mans pocket !!!

"David Yeo, 35, heard a massive bang that 'sounded like a firework' before he realised the spare battery in his pocket had suddenly burst into flames" - Says it all really. If he had a spare battery for his torch in his pocket as opposed to a spare for his vape gear would it have resulted in the same dramatic news coverage? Taking the accident in it's context, ie a battery in the chaps pocket, it really has nothing to do with vaping.
I await, with bated breath, the future news headlines about a burglar arrested while having a toke on an "e-cig" whilst leaving the scene of his crime and his defense lawyers propose that vaping made him burgle.
Even though it is now the 21st century, and we should know better, I'm sure that if Matthew Hopkins was around today he would find himself a nice little niche occupation as The Vapefinder General.

Last edited:
I didn't realise you needed a battery for pocket billiards.

Look on the bright side - at this level of intelligence one's head is unlikely to explode.

Yeah I'm pretty sure first time I clicked he was holding either a battery or a mech that had incinerated. It's a tough one, can't give these articles attention as they're all coming from journalists who have no clue and no accountability for what they write but it's obvious that many people don't actually have the knowledge they need to stay safe. SMH
PAY-David-Yeo-e-cigarette-main.jpg

It's a burnt 18650...
This is what happens when your balls outnumber your brain cells...

Cracked up at the comment section, "Firstly, it was a single 18650 battery as used in TORCHES as well as LAPTOPS and a massive number of other devices, including Tesla cars. Why not write it up with "Tesla car explodes in man's pocket leaving him with horrifying burns"

Too right.

I didn't realise these batteries are dangerous. I usually carry a spare in a plastic box but can they explode if they come into contact with another type of metal or is that all just 'stuff and nonsense'

I didn't realise these batteries are dangerous. I usually carry a spare in a plastic box but can they explode if they come into contact with another type of metal or is that all just 'stuff and nonsense'

If they're in a plastic case they're just fine, "Dangerous" is a relative term - I find them so dangerous that I carry 6 or 7 spares around and hold a mod that has three of them inside. However to put this in context - ANY battery will vent if you short it out with metal objects - the difference being 18650's have more energy in them - It's the difference between a pint of petrol and a gallon of petrol. Both will burn down a house - but one is seen as more dangerous, and wrongly so.

Back
Top Bottom