What's new

The 3d printing thread

hi @ax and @peps1 i been thinking about getting a 3D printer and quite like the look of the prusa i3. i have watched a few build video's and am sure i won't have any troubles building one its the using one that i am worried about. is there anything i can read that would explain how to actually use one ?

hi @ax and @peps1 i been thinking about getting a 3D printer and quite like the look of the prusa i3. i have watched a few build video's and am sure i won't have any troubles building one its the using one that i am worried about. is there anything i can read that would explain how to actually use one ?

Prusa i3 are a excellent pick for a first printer, though I would look as the Wanhao Duplicator i3, its a fully built steel printer that is cheaper then most i3 kits.

I would really recommend working your way through Tomas Sanladerers videos, they explain many elements of a 3D printer.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasSanladerer

Its hard to give you to much info on how to use a 3D printer as it will very between printer to printer.

The basic process of how to 3D print is:

Get your CAD 3D model, ether designed by yourself or downloaded for a site like https://www.thingiverse.com/, then import this file (it will be a .STL file 90% of the time) into a bit of software called a "Slicer", this program will take you 3D solid model and slice it into lots of horizontal layers that the printer will be able to print one on top of the other.

In this slicer software you all put in the setting for what temperatures you want the "hot end" (where the filament is melted and extruded) and your Heat bed (the bed of the printer that can be heated to help the plastic adhesion to) these temperatures will change depending on what type of filament you are printing with, as there a man types of plastics used for different applications, like PLA, ABS, PETG and flexible filaments.

The slicer then exports the model as "G Code" this is very basic movement data that the printer can understand.

And ask lots of question here! :)

Whut @peps1 sed. Use programs like Sketchup, OpenSCAD or Designspark Mechanical to design something, export it to STL, then open it up in a slicing program like Slic3r, Cura or Simplify3D (S3D is a paid for software, ~£100, but soooo worth it), get your correct settings and export the GCode, This can either be put on to a SD card if your printer has a reader or streamed using the slicing software or control software like Repetier Host or Pronterface. My CTCForge*, runs on SD, my Migbot Prusas stream off of a Raspeberry Pi using Octoprint, which is browser based control software.

My workflow is generally design using OpenSCAD, export to STL, import into Simplify3D, get the correct settings, export the GCode and save to either the SD for the CTCForge or upload to the Pi for the Migbots.

*The CTCForge is a modified CTC Replicator that now has Flashforge guts, as a note, stay away from CTC, unless you want to throw about the same amount of money at it again...

Regarding the 3D design software, tinkercad is a good introduction to 3D modelling
And when you are looking for something more advanced, blender will have most of what you need.

And they are both free software!

Pepsi and Ax,
The Kossel turned up yesterday, !!

7hours into the build, and about 1/3 done.

Planning to have it all built and calibrated for my first print on Sunday!

No mishaps so far. But I will keep you updated.
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1448626151.829670.jpg

Regarding the 3D design software, tinkercad is a good introduction to 3D modelling
And when you are looking for something more advanced, blender will have most of what you need.

And they are both free software!

Pepsi and Ax,
The Kossel turned up yesterday, !!

7hours into the build, and about 1/3 done.

Planning to have it all built and calibrated for my first print on Sunday!

No mishaps so far. But I will keep you updated.View attachment 70959

Moar pictures!!

Sorry 13 hours total build here is the carnage left over
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1448673705.738178.jpg

And here is the final result
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1448673745.188133.jpg

Now to the commissioning!

To be honest I was going to do bit by bit photos but the instructions on the think3dprint3d website are so good I couldn't better them, it just went together without a hitch.

Mind you I haven't commissioned it yet .
Will report back tomorrow

All commissioned but hit a brick wall with a faulty nema extruder stepper motor,! So first print is delayed. Auto level looks cool to me , time will tell how accurate it will be

All commissioned but hit a brick wall with a faulty nema extruder stepper motor,! So first print is delayed. Auto level looks cool to me , time will tell how accurate it will be

Here is a handy way to double check its the motor that faulty and not the driver.

Back
Top Bottom