What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Lack of flavour

I've just rewicked as I thought I might be a bit light on the cotton. I've also popped a different flavour in just in case it was the juice that had a slightly muted flavour.

I use the subtank's rba plus all the time with 2.5mm builds and it kicks ass. It doesn't need loads of cotton to produce good flavour.

Your build looks fine. As long as the cotton is wicking ok and is saturated (which it appears to be), then the I would surmise that the issue is either a flavourless juice (maybe it needs steeping) or you've got vapors tongue.

As an afterthought, I'd be careful with the length of your coil tails as there's not much room between the deck and the rba cover (a few mm). If your tails touch the rba cover then you'll end up with a short.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well I've ruled out most things now. I've re-wicked the twisted coil, no change, replaced the juice, no change, changed the twisted coil to dual running at 0.5 ohm, no change. The only thing I can see is either I have vipers tongue, been vaping for about 7 months, can you get that any time? Or the Honey Vapes juices are just too mellow for me. The only way I can get any flavour is by ramping up to around 37w and at that point I'm getting an uncomfortable throat hit, not a dry hit from the cotton more a dry throat hit making me cough if that makes sense.

On an aside can anyone recommend a heavy hitting vanilla/ custard base flavour juice?

That's pretty strange. I've been vaping on Honey Vapes juices for the past week around 20w using the subtank's rba and found them to be very flavoursome.

I've had vapers tongue a number of times. It just seems to come unannounced, but I've definitely noticed that it's more likely to arise if I'm vaping a lot of dessert type juices. I usually switch to a strong menthol and wait for it to pass (which it always does).

If you're looking for a stunning vanilla custard vape, I can't recommend isleofcustard.com enough. Their custard range is to die for, plus they're offering a 25% black Friday promotion tomorrow. All their juice is made to order so it will need steeping.

Good luck with it though. :)

It looks as though it was a fairly simple issue in the end. Having moved to sub ohm recently I hadn't switched down in nic level. I ve just been to my local vape shop to pick up a 3mg, usually I vape at 6mg and the throat hit has lessened, it is much more comfortable and I'm getting decent flavour from a Kilo Cereal Milk. Out of interest what do you think would give better flavour using the same gauge wire, a single twisted coil or dual coil ?

Gonna give Isle of Custard a try. Just ordered the Deckhands bundle. Couldn't see it in the discount code section but got 10% by adding POTV10.

Really pleased that you've got that sorted and found a more pleasurable vape. That's what it's all about, and keeping away from the killer tobacco. :)

As to the flavour and different types of wire / builds, this is a subject that's hugely subjective and can really only be determined through experience. It's all about what works for you. From personal experience, I've used quite a few dual coil devices, but I think you only get the true benefits of using dual coil if you want to vape at high power ratios and put out some serious clouds. For me personally, it's not about whether I can fog up my living room with a few puffs, it's about just having a satisfying vape experience. Therefore, I tend to stick to single coils in most of the devices I use, and I'm more than happy with the performance. As regards twisted kanthal, given the wire has a larger surface area than a single strand of kanthal, in theory this should allow more wire to have contact with the wick and therefore produce more vapor. Have a go with it and see what you think. I've played around with twisted kanthal and can't notice any discernable difference to using single kanthal. Each to their own. It's all down to finding out what works for you personally.

With regards to the subtank rda, I've been using 24awg (0.5mm) kanthal single builds for months, simply because it's a thick wire so I don't have to keep rebuilding the coil every time I want to rewick and change the juice. 5 spaced wraps (spaced wraps work better with high vg) on a 2.5mm bit work out around 0.46 ohm. I could just as easily stick in a different gauge of kanthal, with a different resistance rating, and have exactly the same vaping experience (given I vape around 20w on regulated devices, the resistance rating of the coils is pretty irrelevant as long as I'm within the parameters of what the device can handle).

Good call with the Isle of Custard. Remember their juice is going to require steeping, but I think you'll be blown away with their custards. :)

Really pleased that you've got that sorted and found a more pleasurable vape. That's what it's all about, and keeping away from the killer tobacco. :)

As to the flavour and different types of wire / builds, this is a subject that's hugely subjective and can really only be determined through experience. It's all about what works for you. From personal experience, I've used quite a few dual coil devices, but I think you only get the true benefits of using dual coil if you want to vape at high power ratios and put out some serious clouds. For me personally, it's not about whether I can fog up my living room with a few puffs, it's about just having a satisfying vape experience. Therefore, I tend to stick to single coils in most of the devices I use, and I'm more than happy with the performance. As regards twisted kanthal, given the wire has a larger surface area than a single strand of kanthal, in theory this should allow more wire to have contact with the wick and therefore produce more vapor. Have a go with it and see what you think. I've played around with twisted kanthal and can't notice any discernable difference to using single kanthal. Each to their own. It's all down to finding out what works for you personally.

With regards to the subtank rda, I've been using 24awg (0.5mm) kanthal single builds for months, simply because it's a thick wire so I don't have to keep rebuilding the coil every time I want to rewick and change the juice. 5 spaced wraps (spaced wraps work better with high vg) on a 2.5mm bit work out around 0.46 ohm. I could just as easily stick in a different gauge of kanthal, with a different resistance rating, and have exactly the same vaping experience (given I vape around 20w on regulated devices, the resistance rating of the coils is pretty irrelevant as long as I'm within the parameters of what the device can handle).

Good call with the Isle of Custard. Remember their juice is going to require steeping, but I think you'll be blown away with their custards. :)
Thanks for that.i did check on their website and apparently it's only the 100ml that needs steeping, the 10 & 30 Mrs are pre-steeped. Is that your experience or do you only use their larger bottles?

I use larger bottles. Keeps the costs down. That's good news though, you can crack it open straight away. :)

Back
Top Bottom