What's new

Any legal guys/gals on here???

I read these type of threads every few weeks here and usually refrain from commenting as it tends to go downhill but here goes....

You're onto a loser here.

Just as your employer is not obliged to provide facilities for smokers, he's also not obliged to provide facilities for vapers.

He doesnt want either activity to take place in certain areas and that's pretty much the end of it.

Taking research papers in/education/promoting the health benefits won't make a jot of difference if he doesn't want you to do it. It's not a human rights issue, rather a condition of your employment.

I've been down this route. Working for the NHS. Similar situation to yours. Took all the research papers in to an appointment with personnel. They didn't even want to see them, just said that they had included electronic cigarettes in with the no smoking policy and it was now a condition of my employment. I could either accept it or move on.

Pretty plain and simple.

Whilst I love vaping, I value (need) my job far more.

Unfortunately you are spot on there. Until such time definitive research is released proving beyond doubt the health benefits vaping has over smoking, the general public and employers are going to be fed anti vaping misinformation.

Thankfully I can vape at work, but then I am self employed.

My manager vapes in the building but I actually prefer to go outside. 70% of the time I'd vape where I would smoke.

I think it's fair enough for him to ask you to go outside and vape but don't treat it like your on the stinkies!!!!

banned in my hospital and all its grounds so we have to go to the one smoking shelter which is just opposite the psyciatric wing.

weve even been added to the signs all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_20150527_123029.jpg
    IMG_20150527_123029.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 181
There could many reasons an employer might want you in a certain area whilst doing certain activities. It may be a condition of their insurance, it could be to protect the image of the company, it could be ignorance, it could be feedback from your colleagues, try asking your employer what led them to make that decision. Surely your allowed off site during breaks and can do what you want?

Some employers do not allow people to 'smoke' on the 'curtailment of the property' because it looks 'bad' for the 'customers'. However, requiring you to vape in the smoking shelter if you are a 'non-smoking vaper' is arguably against the law. I would love to see my company try that one on me, because I really think it needs to be pushed all the way, but unfortunately, so far they have been eminently reasonable.

As much as it pains me to say it. Your boss is probably right. You see, I vape. I choose what to inhale, but when I exhale all that Vapour ends up in everyone else's lungs.
I got to decide what I breath in, it's only fair they do too.

So I don't mind going outside. Besides the social scene there is better

Just as your employer is not obliged to provide facilities for smokers, he's also not obliged to provide facilities for vapers.

I work in construction as a supervisor and we are obliged by law to provide smoking facilities but there is nothing we have to provide for vapers!!

With me being in charge and there being no laws for vaping I generally let the vapers vape wherever they please apart from inside the welfare facilities!!

banned in my hospital and all its grounds so we have to go to the one smoking shelter which is just opposite the psyciatric wing.

weve even been added to the signs all over the place.
No smoking of any sort means no need to pay smoking related insurance of any kind.

As much as it pains me to say it. Your boss is probably right. You see, I vape. I choose what to inhale, but when I exhale all that Vapour ends up in everyone else's lungs.
I got to decide what I breath in, it's only fair they do too.

So I don't mind going outside. Besides the social scene there is better

That's actually the one thing I knew i'd miss and continue to do even now ... most of my friends at work are the smokers, the people I talk to at break times, so I still go outside and hang with them. It also gives me the opportunity to show them how I managed to give up and hopefully inspire them to make the switch too. Some were really shocked as I was probably the heaviest and longest smoker there. I used to chain smoke for the full 15 mins.

Back
Top Bottom