What's new

noob coil making question

mcboffin

Achiever
Hello all

I've started on the whole RDA journey and have a burning (not literally question).

When I've seen pics on the interwebs of coils, they look all neat and stuff and not like one from a fly-tipped mattress. Mine look like they've come out of the aforementioned mattress and always seem to sit diagonally on the deck no matter what I do.

Is this just a "needs more practice" issue or am I making a common noob error?

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Youtube may help but just made me realise that Im wank at building coils.

Im waiting for my coil jig and big magnifying glass ;)

Youtube may help but just made me realise that Im wank at building coils.

Im waiting for my coil jig and big magnifying glass ;)

Worryingly, I've watched a shed load of YouTube videos and am using a coil jig. Maybe I have hands like cows' tits?

Thats me screwed then with sausage fingers and crap eyes.

Ive got a FT selection somewhere in the post as backup...

I've got an omega clone and a plume veil clone. I've dismembered them in preparation for a delivery from Tom at South Coast Vapes.

I'll take a pic when I rebuild them.

Keep practicing! Even if you end up using a whole roll of wire, just keep snipping off 5-6 inches and wrap it tightly round a 2.5-3 mm screwdriver until you can consistently get something decent.

Unless you're using less than 0.3mm wire, in which case you're frakked! Pain in the arse that stuff.
Get some 0.4mm and you'll get on a whole lot better. :D

I've got some 0.25 and 0.3. The coils I've made so far seem to vape pretty well, they just look pretty hideous.

Single coil on the omega clone (best looking one yet by far! Should give you an idea about the others).

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1426020456.709116.jpg

Last edited:
I've got some 0.25 and 0.3. The coils I've made so far seem to vape pretty well, they just look pretty hideous.

Mostly it's just practice, but firstly make sure you wind tightly on to the forming tool, keep the forming tool or some other suitably sized screwdriver or drill bit in the coil when you are mounting it and finally make sure you use a reasonable pair of tweezers when you heat and squeeze the coil after it's fitted. Using pliers will usually result in you crushing the coil and flimsy cheap ass tweezers get hot quicly or just bend all over the place - turning your carefully crafted and mounted coil into something from an Salvador Dali painting...

Back
Top Bottom