What's new

Thinking of switching from smoking to vaping?

I want to change my banner!
According to that, I will soon have saved my first grand, but it is more like £40 !

The life change though, has been priceless. This community has played a big part in that. (The positive feelings, not just the shiny-spend) ;)
And my daughter is vaping, and no longer smoking. That was a guilt that gnawed at me.

i've not lost anyone close to me through cancer but my grandad did have both legs amputated due to furring of his arteries he smoked 80 capstan full strength a day and in the end it got the better of him he died of respiratory failure.

We watched my Nan die of emphysema due to smoking. As she lay dying in the bedroom we took turns to pop out for a fag. I look back now and can't believe the sheer stupidity and lack of compassion in our actions. At the time (back in the early 90s) it just seemed so normal. I gave up smoking 8 weeks ago tomorrow. Through choice I have never smoked in front of my four kids and even though I love vaping I still pop out to the garden workshop to blow my clouds in there. I don't want to appear righteous but just trying not to normalise what I like to do in front of them. A powerful message in the video and can only hope it saves some poor unfortunate souls from going the same way.

Here's one I made earlier using Planet of the Vapes

Look at it this way, why inhale numerous amounts of carcinogens just for the nicotine when you could vape instead without those carcinogens and still get the nicotine? The plus side to vaping, if you want to cut down you can do it in controlled measurements, 36mg, 24mg, 18mg etc...

According to my phone its been 253 days since I quit smoking. I decided when I quit that I was going to save the money I wasn't burning and use it for something stupid, not waste it, but not have general household eat the money and have nothing to show for it. All my life I have driven big cars, 3 litre, 6 cylinder stuff. But always hankered for a mini (I passed my test in one 30 years back so always had a soft spot for them). Anyway, I got in one last month and hated it (not as much as I hate BMW minis, but not far off). So that blew the silly notion of the mini out of the water. While I was there though I tried a few other cars of the 'you wont see me in one of those' style of car.

Long Story short, I now own my free (ridiculously small but funny and makes all sorts of statements) car. Suddenly walking around with a brabus key ring and a stupid grin. Come Sunday, the money I haven't spent on cigs will have totally paid for the car.

Absolutely brilliant, well done. Loving the car.

Try it... Do it...
If not for yourself, do it for your family and friends

I did it if I can ANyone can... might take a while and couple fails but vape my freind it works

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried everything on the market to quit smoking, patches, gum, plastic inhalers, quickmist, nasal spray, lozenges, if they sold it I tried it. I smoked for about 23 years. I'd attempt to give up every year, and fail at it, after my last attempt to give up I told the wife I was giving up (She groaned as she had to live with Mr GrumpyAngryObnoxiousBitchingBarSteward) But nodded politely, smiled and wished me luck. After day 2 I was stealth smoking while she was at work, at the gym, out with her friends, I was taking 6 showers a day and popping out for a smoke every time she wasn't going to be around for an hour. I even hid outside when she was semi paralytic on the sofa after her Christmas works do (She's not a drinker and went a bit daft one night, probably I drove her to it by "Quitting again") After a few months of this behaviour we had family come to visit for a week, and I had to work out a way to be able to not smoke, as everyone knew "How well my quitting smoking was going, I was a star, I was amazing, I was winning and I wasn't even grumpy most of the time, only after about 7pm. I'd finally beaten it......

So I popped into the Tobacconist in town, they sold these disposable E-Cigarettes, I bought one, it was not bad, it took some of my grumpyness away, and allowed me to vape in the bathroom while family was about. They went home, I went back to stealth smoking and then one day I was wandering past the Tobacconist and the had refillable Ego E-Cigarettes in the window, £14, Liquid, battery, clearomizer and a USB charger. I thought why not. So I got one, I smoked real Tobacco while she was at work, and the Ego after 5pm. It worked really well, I was no longer grumpy after 7pm I had the best of both worlds, real cigarettes in the day, the Ego at night, she really really thought I'd cracked it this time, come new year we had friends around and everyone was remarking about how well I'd done, It was great etc etc. I felt like a right bar steward.

I still continued with my behaviour for a few months, but over that two months I lost the appetite for real tobacco, the Ego won me over and I switched to it full time. It was great, something I thought I would never quit until I was 6 feet under. I am pretty sure without an E-Cigarette I would never have quit. I tried and tried and tried, probably 40+ attempts, maybe more.

Give it a go, you can pick up a starter pack for the price of 40 Cigarettes or 50g of Golden Virginia. It worked for me and I am pretty sure nothing else would have, you get a throat hit, you get a taste. You get Nicotine, It wont ever taste like a real cigarette and you'll walk behind a smoker for a while thinking how wonderful it smells, but it passes, and you can do it.

Its the best thing I ever did and used in regards to giving up the habit.

Good luck and sorry this turned into an essay length post.

A penny for Um

I was a smoker for 45 years ish, during that time I had tried all manner of naughty substances hard and soft, as the years went by I managed to kick all of them but the bloody fags were stubborn, I don't think I could ever really face the thought of finishing with them. I used to think this is horrid it's killing me and for what? But never really tried to stop although the thoughts haunted me every time I lit up.
Just before Christmas I had a little health scare, it came to nothing but it was a huge prod in the back. I had a small e-cig I had brought a year or so ago but never really used, so over Christmas I decided that the bag of bacci I had was going to be the last, oh boy did I eak that bag out. Once it had all gone I started using the e-cig but soon found out it was not going to cut the mustard so I did so hurried research and brought a bigger vaporiser and some 18mg liquid. And now it has been a month and no fags, I have become a bit obsessed with the vapor but that has to be better then smoking, it covers the nicotine craving and the actions of smoking including the sensations.
I have lost the wheeze I had developed over the last 15 years, I don't stink and I have more money in my pocket.
I would say give it a go you have nothing to loose really, but I would say get a device you can control and use different strength liquids in.
Best of luck.

I tried everything on the market to quit smoking, patches, gum, plastic inhalers, quickmist, nasal spray, lozenges, if they sold it I tried it. I smoked for about 23 years. I'd attempt to give up every year, and fail at it, after my last attempt to give up I told the wife I was giving up (She groaned as she had to live with Mr GrumpyAngryObnoxiousBitchingBarSteward) But nodded politely, smiled and wished me luck. After day 2 I was stealth smoking while she was at work, at the gym, out with her friends, I was taking 6 showers a day and popping out for a smoke every time she wasn't going to be around for an hour. I even hid outside when she was semi paralytic on the sofa after her Christmas works do (She's not a drinker and went a bit daft one night, probably I drove her to it by "Quitting again") After a few months of this behaviour we had family come to visit for a week, and I had to work out a way to be able to not smoke, as everyone knew "How well my quitting smoking was going, I was a star, I was amazing, I was winning and I wasn't even grumpy most of the time, only after about 7pm. I'd finally beaten it......

So I popped into the Tobacconist in town, they sold these disposable E-Cigarettes, I bought one, it was not bad, it took some of my grumpyness away, and allowed me to vape in the bathroom while family was about. They went home, I went back to stealth smoking and then one day I was wandering past the Tobacconist and the had refillable Ego E-Cigarettes in the window, £14, Liquid, battery, clearomizer and a USB charger. I thought why not. So I got one, I smoked real Tobacco while she was at work, and the Ego after 5pm. It worked really well, I was no longer grumpy after 7pm I had the best of both worlds, real cigarettes in the day, the Ego at night, she really really thought I'd cracked it this time, come new year we had friends around and everyone was remarking about how well I'd done, It was great etc etc. I felt like a right bar steward.

I still continued with my behaviour for a few months, but over that two months I lost the appetite for real tobacco, the Ego won me over and I switched to it full time. It was great, something I thought I would never quit until I was 6 feet under. I am pretty sure without an E-Cigarette I would never have quit. I tried and tried and tried, probably 40+ attempts, maybe more.

Give it a go, you can pick up a starter pack for the price of 40 Cigarettes or 50g of Golden Virginia. It worked for me and I am pretty sure nothing else would have, you get a throat hit, you get a taste. You get Nicotine, It wont ever taste like a real cigarette and you'll walk behind a smoker for a while thinking how wonderful it smells, but it passes, and you can do it.

Its the best thing I ever did and used in regards to giving up the habit.

Good luck and sorry this turned into an essay length post.

Think you will find, if you asked her, that your wife knew you were still smoking due to the smell of the smoke.
I have been vaping for over a year now, and my sense of smell is now fully working. My wife visits my daughter who smokes, and when I go to pick her up, I can smell the smoke on the wife.

Back
Top Bottom