Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No and I do not plan to.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes I have but only some have replied

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Got this from my MEP, YES YES WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS!!!!

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for your email setting out your thoughts on a proposal issued by the European Commission to amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products. In responding to you I have been in touch with my Conservative colleague and leader of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group here in the European Parliament, Martin Callanan MEP, who sits on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety committee. He has been dealing with the legislation you refer to.

Among the products to be affected by the proposed changes are electronic inhalers, commonly known as personal vaporizers or e-cigarettes, which vaporize a liquid solution containing nicotine into an aerosol mist which is then inhaled to simulate the act of smoking tobacco. The Commission proposes to limit the amount of nicotine in solutions sold for use in electronic cigarettes to four milligrams of nicotine per millilitre, unless the products have been classified as for medicinal use. This would render the solution too weak to be a viable source of nicotine for smokers or ex-smokers, or would require manufacturers to apply for a costly licence to manufacture medicinal products. Mr Callanan has provided the response below which I hope you will find useful.

"You are not alone in contacting me on this issue - many constituents feel similarly strongly. I have examined the arguments and I see the potential e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I am particularly convinced by the fact that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke, that e-cigarettes appeal to adult smokers seeking to quit but not generally to children or those not yet addicted to nicotine, that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely return to smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases they might otherwise have avoided, with all the personal and societal consequences this would mean. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do much more harm than good.

Changes to EU tobacco legislation have been expected for some time but were delayed by the recent resignation of the previous European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs, John Dalli. His replacement, Tonio Borg, has expressed a desire to change the law before his mandate expires in June 2014. To prevent the proposed changes concerning e-cigarettes and all the negative consequences that would arise, we must work hard in the year ahead to build solid majorities in both the Parliament and the Council.

As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will do everything in my power to make the arguments and convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness.
I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vapourizing community. The internet offers considerable opportunities to draw the attention of a wide audience to the issue and to contact your elected representatives quickly and easily. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to write to your MP and request him to raise the matter in Westminster, and persuade other e-cigarette users to do the same. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument."

With very best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2013,

Martin Callanan MEP

Got this from my MEP, YES YES WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS!!!!

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for your email setting out your thoughts on a proposal issued by the European Commission to amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products. In responding to you I have been in touch with my Conservative colleague and leader of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group here in the European Parliament, Martin Callanan MEP, who sits on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety committee. He has been dealing with the legislation you refer to.

Among the products to be affected by the proposed changes are electronic inhalers, commonly known as personal vaporizers or e-cigarettes, which vaporize a liquid solution containing nicotine into an aerosol mist which is then inhaled to simulate the act of smoking tobacco. The Commission proposes to limit the amount of nicotine in solutions sold for use in electronic cigarettes to four milligrams of nicotine per millilitre, unless the products have been classified as for medicinal use. This would render the solution too weak to be a viable source of nicotine for smokers or ex-smokers, or would require manufacturers to apply for a costly licence to manufacture medicinal products. Mr Callanan has provided the response below which I hope you will find useful.

"You are not alone in contacting me on this issue - many constituents feel similarly strongly. I have examined the arguments and I see the potential e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I am particularly convinced by the fact that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke, that e-cigarettes appeal to adult smokers seeking to quit but not generally to children or those not yet addicted to nicotine, that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely return to smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases they might otherwise have avoided, with all the personal and societal consequences this would mean. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do much more harm than good.

Changes to EU tobacco legislation have been expected for some time but were delayed by the recent resignation of the previous European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs, John Dalli. His replacement, Tonio Borg, has expressed a desire to change the law before his mandate expires in June 2014. To prevent the proposed changes concerning e-cigarettes and all the negative consequences that would arise, we must work hard in the year ahead to build solid majorities in both the Parliament and the Council.

As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will do everything in my power to make the arguments and convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness.
I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vapourizing community. The internet offers considerable opportunities to draw the attention of a wide audience to the issue and to contact your elected representatives quickly and easily. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to write to your MP and request him to raise the matter in Westminster, and persuade other e-cigarette users to do the same. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument."

Martin Callanan MEP

Great Letter!

I removed your other thread as you all ready posted the letter here.

yes I got the same reply, The bit I've hi-lighted needs attention in my opinion from all UK citizens with a legal right to vote and air their views!

Dear Constituent,

Martin Callanan MEP

Conservative Member of the European Parliament for the North East

Leader, European Conservatives and Reformists Group

Thank you for contacting me about this issue. I too wish you all the best for 2013.

Yours sincerely,

Emma McClarkin MEP

I know most of this reply has been posted i just thought the bits I've hi-lighted needed a bit more attention!

A couple more replies

Dear Mark,

You make some good points and I have asked not just our Brussels office but the Lib Dem group's policy advisors to look critically at the proposals and the points you make.

Yours sincerely,

Kilian Bourke

Caseworker to
Andrew Duff
Liberal Democrat MEP for the East of England

And from UKIP

Dear Mr Davis

Thank you for your email dated 20th December 2012, addressed to Stuart Agnew
MEP. I am replying on his behalf.

Mr Agnew and his fellow UKIP MEPs were elected on a platform of withdrawal
from the EU and thus have no mandate for supporting EU legislative proposals
and would not, therefore, support this directive or its revisions. They are
opposed, as a matter of principle, to unelected members of the European
Commission being the sole originators of all new EU legislation, much of
which is binding upon the British people.

As you have rightly stated in your email, electronic smoking devices are
already well regulated in this country. We do not need the EU sticking its
nose in. Unfortunately, what you ask i.e. the UK Government not
implementing part of the directive, is not possible. If the revised
directive is approved by the European Parliament, which normally acts merely
as a rubber-stamping institution for the Commission, then the UK Government
will have to put it on the statute book, as a whole. They cannot pick and
choose which bits they want to implement.

Nevertheless, the UKIP MEPs will vote against this legislation when it comes
before the Parliament. It should be a matter for our elected Government and
Parliament at Westminster, not unelected officials in Brussels. However, do
bear in mind that there are 754 MEPs and the UK has just 72. Many of the
latter are EU supporters and will not vote against this nonsense.

Unfortunately, while we remain members of the EU, we will be subject to rule
by Brussels diktat. Sadly, much of what emanates from the Brussels
legislative sausage machine is extremely damaging to the best interests of
the British people and to our business sector.

UKIP was created in 1993 to campaign for our country's freedom from the EU
and we will continue to campaign for exactly that outcome. I do hope that
we can rely on your support at future elections, both domestic and European.

Best wishes,

Stuart Gulleford
Political Advisor to Stuart Agnew MEP

Office of Stuart Agnew MEP
UK Independence Party
145 New London Road
Chelmsford
Essex
CM2 0QT
Tel: 01245 266466
Fax: 01245 252071
Email: [email protected]
www.stuartagnewmep.co.uk
www.ukip.org

We are on it, yes. I'll be putting further information on the blog about this specifically, as soon as we have it put together. All the research is completed now, so it's just a crafting exercise from here.

Sorry not to have said anything sooner - it's been a mammoth undertaking to research it all, but we're getting there!

Cheers,

Katherine

I have added a poll to this thread :) Just a lil one about who's contacted or not.

I have added a poll to this thread :) Just a lil one about who's contacted or not.

I don't know which one to pick as I've had a reply from one MEP, 'wait a month for letter' from 2 others, nothing from the rest. Plus 'I'll raise your concerns with Jeremy Hunt' from my MP.
So, I've received replies and I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom