Vape Club
What's new

scottish parliament health & sport committee

steffijade

Achiever
Saw this linked on fb by KMS/VMS and it's an interesting watch.

The video takes a while to load so be patient and if you're on a lowish bandwidth, you can alter the streaming rate via the control on the bottom right of the screen (700k worked well with no buffering for me on a 2mb connection).

The portion covering vaping lasts a little over an hour and features contributions from Jeremy Mean (boo), Andrew Thomson (hiss), John Britton (yay) and 'our' Katherine Devlin (whoop, whoop, you go girl).

The tone is broadly positive apart from BMA rep Andrew Thomson and even Mr Mean speaks some sense (within the confines of his big pharma regulatory agenda). Hopefully the MSPs will take on board the general positive points and discount the obvious fear fuellers ( :grin2: ).

Parliament TV - News & Media Centre : Scottish Parliament

The Electronic Cigarette Company
Thanks @steffijade for the link but I'm afraid I nodded off.

Quick summary for you:

Most of the panel members were generally positive, John Britton made some good contributions and Katherine was a star, as per usual.

The BMA rep Mr Thomson was a bit of a cock end, basically wanted assurances of absolute safety (which we all know isn't possible as nothing is ever absolutely 100% safe) and fell back on the hippocratic oath as his reasoning. Said that 'first do no harm' was his guiding principle and as 100% safety couldn't be guaranteed, he couldn't in good conscience recommend vaping.

Given that there's no 100% guarantee of safety from a plethora of drugs and surgical procedures, it seems to me he's actually falling back on the 'hypocritc' oath rather than the hippocratic. We all know the BMA have a set agenda so his attitude wasn't really surprising, but his view seemed to be a minority position and overall the panelists were pretty positive.

Hopefully it'll translate into a proportionate outcome for vapers in Scotland.

Vape Green
Quick summary for you:

Most of the panel members were generally positive, John Britton made some good contributions and Katherine was a star, as per usual.

The BMA rep Mr Thomson was a bit of a cock end, basically wanted assurances of absolute safety (which we all know isn't possible as nothing is ever absolutely 100% safe) and fell back on the hippocratic oath as his reasoning. Said that 'first do no harm' was his guiding principle and as 100% safety couldn't be guaranteed, he couldn't in good conscience recommend vaping.

Given that there's no 100% guarantee of safety from a plethora of drugs and surgical procedures, it seems to me he's actually falling back on the 'hypocritc' oath rather than the hippocratic. We all know the BMA have a set agenda so his attitude wasn't really surprising, but his view seemed to be a minority position and overall the panelists were pretty positive.

Hopefully it'll translate into a proportionate outcome for vapers in Scotland.

From the small portion that I watched I get the impression that some of them don't realise that a genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom