What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Best wire for clouds

Nichrome 20awg if you can.find any...
Or nichrome 22awg tri Parralel 5 wrap.

Sorry slight hijack of thread!

I have a quick question of @Raguri, based on your recommendation (thanks!), I bought a selection of Nichrome wire. Can't remember the AWG - but 0.35, 0.4 and 0.5mm

Just built a dual coil using the 0.4mm for my Plume Veil (12 wraps on 2mm drill bit) and its coming out at 0.5 Ohms. However, I am finding it takes a long time to heat up the coil! (longer than my single coil 0.5mm Kanthal also at 0.5ohm)

I need to whack my regulated mod to above 40w - then I get copious vapour and great taste. Is this normal? is the timing factor because of the twin coil setup?

Not a huge issue, but means I can only use it on my mechs whilst the battery is relatively fresh - whereas with the single 0.5ohm single kanthal coil, I could use for quite some time before a noticeable drop in performance

BTW I am using VTC5 in my Mech and Samsung 25R's in my Sig 100w

any idea buddy?

Added picture: 20141028_224733.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry slight hijack of thread!

I have a quick question of @Raguri, based on your recommendation (thanks!), I bought a selection of Nichrome wire. Can't remember the AWG - but 0.35, 0.4 and 0.5mm

Just built a dual coil using the 0.4mm for my Plume Veil (12 wraps on 2mm drill bit) and its coming out at 0.5 Ohms. However, I am finding it takes a long time to heat up the coil! (longer than my single coil 0.5mm Kanthal also at 0.5ohm)

I need to whack my regulated mod to above 40w - then I get copious vapour and great taste. Is this normal? is the timing factor because of the twin coil setup?

Not a huge issue, but means I can only use it on my mechs whilst the battery is relatively fresh - whereas with the single 0.5ohm single kanthal coil, I could use for quite some time before a noticeable drop in performance

BTW I am using VTC5 in my Mech and Samsung 25R's in my Sig 100w

any idea buddy?

More wire requires a longer time to heat up compared to a setup at the same resistance using thinner wire at the same voltage. On your regulated you can pump more voltage through your coils compared to a mech with even a fresh battery which allows them to heat up faster

More wire requires a longer time to heat up compared to a setup at the same resistance using thinner wire at the same voltage. On your regulated you can pump more voltage through your coils compared to a mech with even a fresh battery which allows them to heat up faster

Thanks buddy, that makes sense

I guess one of the questions I am asking whether Nichrome heats up quicker than Kanthal. As I have no intention of going lower than 0.4 - 0.5 ohms - the only way I can build that with a dual coil setup is with lots of wire.

Perhaps I need to do some side-by-sid comparisons - or just stick to low res single coil setups :-)

For competition use you say?
4 wrap Parralel continuous strands, 0.6 nichrome, on 2.2mm ;)

Oh yeah, i never asked. What does this come out to?? Haha not that I'm scared to run it (I've run 0.06 on an Igo L on a king mod XD)
I will have this made early next week once my nichrome comes in. It shall run on my Tahiti with my Mutation X [: I'll be sure to post up a video on your "im better than you" (show me your clouds) thread [;

Thanks buddy, that makes sense

I guess one of the questions I am asking whether Nichrome heats up quicker than Kanthal. As I have no intention of going lower than 0.4 - 0.5 ohms - the only way I can build that with a dual coil setup is with lots of wire.

Perhaps I need to do some side-by-sid comparisons - or just stick to low res single coil setups :-)

Just use thinner wire, if you get thinner kanthal you can achieve the same resistance with less wraps giving a much better ramp up time. It has taken me a while to perfect my preferred builds with the right wire to fire well and the ideal surface area, but with a bit of trial and error I got there.

Oh yeah, i never asked. What does this come out to?? Haha not that I'm scared to run it (I've run 0.06 on an Igo L on a king mod XD)
I will have this made early next week once my nichrome comes in. It shall run on my Tahiti with my Mutation X [: I'll be sure to post up a video on your "im better than you" (show me your clouds) thread [;

No idea. Haha.
Iirc, it's 0.08... haven't had 22awg nichrome for a while

Back
Top Bottom