What's new

Best wire for clouds

Nichrome 20awg if you can.find any...
Or nichrome 22awg tri Parralel 5 wrap.

Sorry slight hijack of thread!

I have a quick question of @Raguri, based on your recommendation (thanks!), I bought a selection of Nichrome wire. Can't remember the AWG - but 0.35, 0.4 and 0.5mm

Just built a dual coil using the 0.4mm for my Plume Veil (12 wraps on 2mm drill bit) and its coming out at 0.5 Ohms. However, I am finding it takes a long time to heat up the coil! (longer than my single coil 0.5mm Kanthal also at 0.5ohm)

I need to whack my regulated mod to above 40w - then I get copious vapour and great taste. Is this normal? is the timing factor because of the twin coil setup?

Not a huge issue, but means I can only use it on my mechs whilst the battery is relatively fresh - whereas with the single 0.5ohm single kanthal coil, I could use for quite some time before a noticeable drop in performance

BTW I am using VTC5 in my Mech and Samsung 25R's in my Sig 100w

any idea buddy?

Added picture: 20141028_224733.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry slight hijack of thread!

I have a quick question of @Raguri, based on your recommendation (thanks!), I bought a selection of Nichrome wire. Can't remember the AWG - but 0.35, 0.4 and 0.5mm

Just built a dual coil using the 0.4mm for my Plume Veil (12 wraps on 2mm drill bit) and its coming out at 0.5 Ohms. However, I am finding it takes a long time to heat up the coil! (longer than my single coil 0.5mm Kanthal also at 0.5ohm)

I need to whack my regulated mod to above 40w - then I get copious vapour and great taste. Is this normal? is the timing factor because of the twin coil setup?

Not a huge issue, but means I can only use it on my mechs whilst the battery is relatively fresh - whereas with the single 0.5ohm single kanthal coil, I could use for quite some time before a noticeable drop in performance

BTW I am using VTC5 in my Mech and Samsung 25R's in my Sig 100w

any idea buddy?

More wire requires a longer time to heat up compared to a setup at the same resistance using thinner wire at the same voltage. On your regulated you can pump more voltage through your coils compared to a mech with even a fresh battery which allows them to heat up faster

More wire requires a longer time to heat up compared to a setup at the same resistance using thinner wire at the same voltage. On your regulated you can pump more voltage through your coils compared to a mech with even a fresh battery which allows them to heat up faster

Thanks buddy, that makes sense

I guess one of the questions I am asking whether Nichrome heats up quicker than Kanthal. As I have no intention of going lower than 0.4 - 0.5 ohms - the only way I can build that with a dual coil setup is with lots of wire.

Perhaps I need to do some side-by-sid comparisons - or just stick to low res single coil setups :-)

For competition use you say?
4 wrap Parralel continuous strands, 0.6 nichrome, on 2.2mm ;)

Oh yeah, i never asked. What does this come out to?? Haha not that I'm scared to run it (I've run 0.06 on an Igo L on a king mod XD)
I will have this made early next week once my nichrome comes in. It shall run on my Tahiti with my Mutation X [: I'll be sure to post up a video on your "im better than you" (show me your clouds) thread [;

Thanks buddy, that makes sense

I guess one of the questions I am asking whether Nichrome heats up quicker than Kanthal. As I have no intention of going lower than 0.4 - 0.5 ohms - the only way I can build that with a dual coil setup is with lots of wire.

Perhaps I need to do some side-by-sid comparisons - or just stick to low res single coil setups :-)

Just use thinner wire, if you get thinner kanthal you can achieve the same resistance with less wraps giving a much better ramp up time. It has taken me a while to perfect my preferred builds with the right wire to fire well and the ideal surface area, but with a bit of trial and error I got there.

Oh yeah, i never asked. What does this come out to?? Haha not that I'm scared to run it (I've run 0.06 on an Igo L on a king mod XD)
I will have this made early next week once my nichrome comes in. It shall run on my Tahiti with my Mutation X [: I'll be sure to post up a video on your "im better than you" (show me your clouds) thread [;

No idea. Haha.
Iirc, it's 0.08... haven't had 22awg nichrome for a while

Back
Top Bottom