What's new

We have the technology - can we rebuild him?

VaperCaper

Achiever
So I have in my possession many deceased Sigelei v2 Zmaxes (er about 7) and an old Lava tube.

All of which contain perfectly working electronics but are broken for other reasons.

I'd like to take out the PCB's and turn them into some bespoke mods over the course of the next few months.

So I thought I'd ask the collected wisdom of the POTV modders what tools and materials I might require to do this with and what would be a good thing to turn these into. I could just repair them, or get someone else to repair them for me, but this lacks adventure and I need a reason to justify buying some useful tools.

Who knows what I might discover along the way.

What fun you will have with those VaperCaper, box mods, wooden box or tube mods, mint tin mods...

This list is just off the top of my head, other mod makers and those who like 'tinkering' will probably add more :D
What I think are essential tools
Soldering Iron - minimum 40w with electrics tip (do not use copper tips)
Lead Free Rosin Core Solder
Electronics Tools (diagonal cutters, needle nose pliers, mini screwdrivers etc)
Drill or Dremel with appropriate sized bits
Not necessary but very useful
T-Handle Taper Reamer
A Good Multimeter
Helping Hands, nice if it has the solder iron holder and an LED ;)
Good Bench or Table Lighting
Epoxy or hot glue

I'd love to see a bespoke tube mod, so:
A mate with a lathe
And the above stuff

The zmax board is nice to work with as well VaperCaper just be careful of the screens, :) box mods are a good first step, I'd make one of those first, then move onto something else.

What fun you will have with those @VaperCaper, box mods, wooden box or tube mods, mint tin mods...

This list is just off the top of my head, other mod makers and those who like 'tinkering' will probably add more :D
What I think are essential tools
Soldering Iron - minimum 40w with electrics tip (do not use copper tips)

Hi Gill,

Why not copper tips for soldering iron?
and what are electric tips made of?
and why 40w min?

(are we there yet dad?)

Back
Top Bottom