What's new

voltage regulation, best choice/practice?

Thanks for the pointers, I've pretty much decided on the raptor.

The obvious sources I've found are:

20a raptor
VV / VW Boards

20a raptor
VV Boards

Hmmm actually, where do you get the more powerful model? to be fair though I think 20 amps is enough for me.

Also Hammy, that wiring diagram, it looks like the power is supplied through the fire switch, not keen on that. Or maybe I've read the diagram wrong?

I think using a combination of these two wiring diagrams I'll base my build on this.

This one has no idle drain and the button does not carry any current.

raptor 20a.jpg

From this I'll use the wiring for the volt meter and trim pot.

raptor7.jpg

Any thoughts?

It depends on the power source you are using. The first diagram builds in a whole load of protection but a bit OTT IMHO.

I pretty much use the second diagram but omit the master switch and instead fit another switch in line with the fire switch to turn off, as finding a 20A switch of a sensible size is tricky. I also omit the p-FET as not really concerned about using reverse protection with LiPo's as it is difficult to get it wrong with shaped plugs or fixed wiring!

Sent from somewhere inside a huge cloud!

It turns out the raptor module has an idle drain..... its only small but enough to ruin the batteries if they go flat and are left in the box. The first wiring diagram uses the mosfet to disconnect the ground, everything is wired back to the mosfet and not the battery's negative.

Also @Hammy, that wiring diagram, it looks like the power is supplied through the fire switch, not keen on that. Or maybe I've read the diagram wrong?

I grabbed the diagram of the FB box modders group, the main guy there does say it's not for beginners, but it does look as though all the power goes through the fire switch.
I assume the P-fet is there for RP protection which you wouldn't need with a lipo, so i'd ditch it and power the board through a N-fet instead.
I'm no electronics expert so don't take my word that it would work.

I also noticed if I build this mod I could add a heavy duty pin style power socket to the box... then I have the option of removing the batteries all together and using a 12v power source.... thinking "mains" vaping when I'm at home :)

I'd be happier building some kind of switching circuit though so if the batteries are in it the external power connector is disconnected... if I hooked it up to an external power source and left the batteries in it then disaster would ensue.

HELP!!! College project building own Vaping mod

Hi all,

I am designing and building a Multi-use Vaping Mod as my idea of chose.
This idea is based on two things, an E-cigarette and a USB Charging device output to charge a phone via USB all combined into one (Same principle as the MPV 2).

But I need help with the circuit designing, because I am struggling with getting it to work as I don't have much experience in electrical engineering, This is what I have done so far to designing the circuit I want... in theory I just need to join them up and make them one circuit, but I don't know how complicated or simple that would be, and thats why I'm here.

If have have the wrong circuit diagrams then please help and guide me.

USB-Mobile-Charger-Circuit-Diagram.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 18.54.42.jpg

I think using a combination of these two wiring diagrams I'll base my build on this.

This one has no idle drain and the button does not carry any current.

View attachment 35309

From this I'll use the wiring for the volt meter and trim pot.

View attachment 35310

Any thoughts?

Forgive me if i sound dumb I'm new to electronics, I'm doing a project at college and need to design and build my own mod, but i need the schematics for one of the raptor chips or the DNA 20/30/40 chips, because i can't just to buy one its to simple for a distinction.
Is that the schematics for the raptor chip?

Back
Top Bottom