Innokin
What's new

Why Box mods hit so hard.

u8myufo

Achiever
Just come across this and thought I would share,an explanation of adding more batteries for those that may not know what happens.The sound could have been better but still worth a watch imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vape Superstore
My first attempt at building a box mod involved use of odds n ends I had laying around.
One 18650 was simply not enough to overcome the internal resistance of the wires/battery contacts & switch & although it could be used to power a 0.3 ohm RDA there was almost sod all vapour.I added a second parallel 18650 & this meant the atty instantly started chucking out decent amounts of vapour.

Proof of the internal resistances was demonstrated when the wires I had soldered to the switch kept detaching itself,and when I finally cured this....the switch itself melted internally.

Fast forward several months & my box building had progressed to use of lipo cells in parallel(bumping up the maximum current draw from 20A to over 80A)and a high power rated mosfet to protect the switches.My first box was now powering 0.1x dual coils with 4 x 1000 mah cells in parallel,and showing just a 0.1V drop and also powering the atty for 30 hours+ on 0.3 ohm builds or 12 hours+ on lower sub-ohm builds.

I am now using 4 lipo cells(bigger 2200 mah rated 40C cells)with 2 parallel & 2 series,and using ohms law to discover that I would need 0.6 ohm coils to get the kind of wattage I like to vape at with 8.4V.The box containing these bigger lipos is a little on the ungainly side of fucking huge,but as it is plastic it is actually lighter than the 4 x 1000 mah metal enclosures.I have added a little voltmeter to the front as I kept over-discharging the lipo pack and my balance charger refused to recharge the pack,so had to remove the cells & recharge them individually before rebuilding the box mod.I now have a box mod that suffers just 0.2V drop,regardless of how much load I place on the cells and will power my RDA for 14 hours(average)before I start to notice a change to the vapour.

My biggest issue is finding a happy medium for the wire I use to coil it.If I try using single strands,the fecker will melt instantly even with 0.5mm kanthal unless I make the actual coil very very long(it only just fits under the cap of the Zenith)and despite the driptip being mounted in a delrin insulator,2 or 3 tokes & the fucking driptip is too hot to go near.I have used up all my 0.25mm/0.3mm wire,experimenting with twisted coils so am waiting for my order being delivered of both these sizes as the quad twisted 0.25 was close to being perfect & I wanted to try triple twisted(but had no more sodding wire)and the reel of 0.3mm has gone & hidden itself(or the gremlins have stolen it)as I reckon triple 0.3mm might also be brilliant.

There seems to be a kind of delicate balancing act needed to create the perfect vape,between resistance/thickness of wire/voltages & number of wires in the twisting process.

Vape Green
The Electronic Cigarette Company
On your thread about sx350's, was sure you asked why yihi were offering their boards with this option.

Nope. Thanks though. Hopefully this will help some people to understand ;)
What it was was someone saying that the boards need 7.4 and that their batteries fully charged were 8.4.
They were worried about over loading the chips.
I wondered why batteries are marked at 3.7 when they are 4.2 fully charged and have since googled it and found out why from here: Why are Li Ion batts labeled at 3.7v, when they charge to 4.2v?

Thanks though fella.

Ahh, that'll teach me to actually read threads and to wait until I've fully woken up, lol

AcmeFog
No need for quad boxes, just go for 8.4V and this halves the drawn current, so even shitty soldering of joints doesn't really affect the output:)

Vape Club
No need for quad boxes, just go for 8.4V and this halves the drawn current, so even shitty soldering of joints doesn't really affect the output:)
for this same reason, cars running on 48v (or even 24v like some tractors and trucks) instead of 12v would be simpler too. Thinner wiring, save money etc etc

Back
Top Bottom