What's new

Warning when using keystone battery holders and Sony VTC5's !!!!

BaDaBooM

Mod Maker
keystone battery holders are not too friendly with the vtc5 batts. the clips tail or whatever its call got under the battery and shorted it. The tail is straight so it can easily get under the wrapper on a vtc5.

Don't know who is really to blame, sony for wrapping the battery or keystone for a miss design. Don't think the sony vtc5's are inteded to be used in battery holders, think they are intended to be hard wired in battery packs for cordless drills and stuff like that, maybe somebody here knows. Comparing them to batteries like efest that buy cells and then just rebrand them they have a lot better wrapper.

Top one is the original one, bottom one is modified.
20140830_161551_zpsc761ebd8.jpg

Poor vtc5 :( I mangled it trying to get the frigging thing out.
20140830_161632_zpse89f5730.jpg

Do you have a few holders to compare?

After reading this, I wapped the vtc out of my mod to check the contacts and it seems mine already bent like your modified one!

Not sure if they came like this, or they have formed that shape naturally as I shortened the holder by about 10mm, and its a snug fit.

Either way, I can verify your modified way will certainly fix the problem :D

keystone battery holders are not too friendly with the vtc5 batts. the clips tail or whatever its call got under the battery and shorted it. The tail is straight so it can easily get under the wrapper on a vtc5.

Don't know who is really to blame, sony for wrapping the battery or keystone for a miss design. Don't think the sony vtc5's are inteded to be used in battery holders, think they are intended to be hard wired in battery packs for cordless drills and stuff like that, maybe somebody here knows. Comparing them to batteries like efest that buy cells and then just rebrand them they have a lot better wrapper.

Top one is the original one, bottom one is modified.
20140830_161551_zpsc761ebd8.jpg

Poor vtc5 :( I mangled it trying to get the frigging thing out.
20140830_161632_zpse89f5730.jpg

bottom one is how it should have been IMO...good job, mine are shaped with lead in like that

Do you have a few holders to compare?

After reading this, I wapped the vtc out of my mod to check the contacts and it seems mine already bent like your modified one!

Not sure if they came like this, or they have formed that shape naturally as I shortened the holder by about 10mm, and its a snug fit.

Either way, I can verify your modified way will certainly fix the problem :D

I had 4 holders to compare and they were all the same, might be a bad batch, I'm the master of picking bad batches.

I tested the shit out of my modified and it works, still the sony wrapper is crap but like I said maybe they are not intended to be used in battery holders, its just a hunch I have.

I had 4 holders to compare and they were all the same, might be a bad batch, I'm the master of picking bad batches.

I tested the shit out of my modified and it works, still the sony wrapper is crap but like I said maybe they are not intended to be used in battery holders, its just a hunch I have.

as you say sony only make batteries for oem devices not consumers

bottom one is how it should have been IMO...good job, mine are shaped with lead in like that

Its an easy fix, put the clip in a vice use a 3mm dill bit in the kink and hit with a plastic hammer. Felt like smacking myself with the hammer after I just finished that silver sx350 hana and had to gut the hole mod because a £3 battery holder failed.

as you say sony only make batteries for oem devices not consumers

Wasn't sure but Sony seem like a brand that wouldn't go cheap on a wrapper if it was for consumers.

Wish efest would re-brand the vtc5's like they did with the vtc4's.

Cheers for the heads up Badaboom! All my single Keystone holders are exactly the same, good to know as I haven't used a single one yet.

The double 18650 holders have a much better profile on the contacts, the whole end is turned back like you have done to give a more rounded end and is working fine without any mods with 2 x VTC5's. Although they are held extremely tight and need tools to pop them out if required.

Pic of double 18650 holder contact as it comes-

14ne1qw.jpg

Just checked mine and all of them were like this, four singles and a double. Didn't take long with the pliers to sort them out though.

Back
Top Bottom