What's new

What wire do I need?

Diche

Veteran
I am currently running a tobh dripper which I have been playing with for a couple of weeks. So far I have been doing builds around 1-1.2 ohms as that seemed a sensible starting point to get the feel of things. However now I have reasonable confidence at putting a coil together I feel like I should be experimenting to see what sort of resistance suits me best. All my builds so far have been with 28awg (0.3) kanthal which I originally bought for coiling kanger heads, so I need some more wire and I am not sure what to get. I fancy having a play with some ribbon and a couple of different grades of kanthal, what sizes would you suggest I buy?

I am currently running a tobh dripper which I have been playing with for a couple of weeks. So far I have been doing builds around 1-1.2 ohms as that seemed a sensible starting point to get the feel of things. However now I have reasonable confidence at putting a coil together I feel like I should be experimenting to see what sort of resistance suits me best. All my builds so far have been with 28awg (0.3) kanthal which I originally bought for coiling kanger heads, so I need some more wire and I am not sure what to get. I fancy having a play with some ribbon and a couple of different grades of kanthal, what sizes would you suggest I buy?

Vapemeshcompany.
0.5, 0.6, 0.8 for shits and giggles.
Ribbon wise, 0.7x1 and 1x1 ;)

Basically, get every size you can, try Them and learn how they're different.
For example. 0.8 takes ages to heat up, but, once it's hot give a huge clouds.
0.6 heats instantly, but doesn't give off clouds as big :)

If I have the theory worked out right in my head it is all a balance of resistance vs surface area. The thinner the wire the higher the resistance and the faster it heats up, but because there is less surface area it doesn't vapourise as much juice creating smaller clouds and less flavour. Have I got that about right? I am really looking for flavour rather than dense clouds, cloud-chasing in public could be a little anti-social and risk my right to vape at work.

Vapemeshcompany.
0.5, 0.6, 0.8 for shits and giggles.
Ribbon wise, 0.7x1 and 1x1 ;)

Ok I have obediently put together my shopping basket lol, though I went for 0.7 rather than 0.8 as the 0.8 was only available on 20m spools and that seemed a little excessive for a trial run. I have been quite happy with my cotton wicks so far, but is the ecowool or silica worth looking at? They also have a range of igo drippers, are any of them worth buying with the intention of drilling for a shits and giggles device?

Ok I have obediently put together my shopping basket lol, though I went for 0.7 rather than 0.8 as the 0.8 was only available on 20m spools and that seemed a little excessive for a trial run. I have been quite happy with my cotton wicks so far, but is the ecowool or silica worth looking at? They also have a range of igo drippers, are any of them worth buying with the intention of drilling for a shits and giggles device?

Cotton is king.
As for igos, not for serious clouds, weak insulators. Tobhs are great, even better when you cut the afc tab off using a dremel or metal file.

Cotton is king.
As for igos, not for serious clouds, weak insulators. Tobhs are great, even better when you cut the afc tab off using a dremel or metal file.

Ok, that will have to wait then, because I am not butchering my copper tobh.

If I was to get a spare tobh where in the UK would you recommend for decent prices? I am not sure I have the patience to order one from fasttech.

Back
Top Bottom