What's new

0.15 ohms. Yay or Nay?

xibxang

Postman
I've just finished making my best work yet. 27 gauge Kanthal parallel coils around a 1.5mm needle. 6 wraps each and they're coming in at 0.15ohms. By my calculations, that's 28 amps. I'm using Sony 18650 VTC5s and I'm nervous that 28 is real close to the 30 amp limit.

I've done a few test vapes on a battery that was at 3.8 volts and the vapour quality is outstanding. I mean, it's sick as tits.

Am I riding way too close to the limit here? If I insert a new battery, is Carl Sagan going to ride a chariot down from the skies and nuke my genitals?

Am I riding way too close to the limit here?

Yes.

I don't understand why anyone needs less than about 0.5ohm, but to each their own. :)

the thing to remember with batteries is that the quoted amp limit is when the battery is new. If you're using a battery that's well used it might not be up to being pushed that hard.

If that low resistance is your thing then go wild, but please stay safe.

Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt be along soon with suitable battery recommendations.

I've just finished making my best work yet. 27 gauge Kanthal parallel coils around a 1.5mm needle. 6 wraps each and they're coming in at 0.15ohms. By my calculations, that's 28 amps. I'm using Sony 18650 VTC5s and I'm nervous that 28 is real close to the 30 amp limit.

I've done a few test vapes on a battery that was at 3.8 volts and the vapour quality is outstanding. I mean, it's sick as tits.

Am I riding way too close to the limit here? If I insert a new battery, is Carl Sagan going to ride a chariot down from the skies and nuke my genitals?

How much do you trust the resistance measurement? Conventionally half the least unit of measurement which is I suspect strongly optimistic. But let's assume accuracy (Which at the prices those atomiser testers sell at is wildly optimistic or more correctly delusional) so your resistance is between 0.145 and 0.155 ohms. Or between 29 and 27 amps. If, as is more probable the second digit is not at all reliable you could be between 0.1 and 0.2 ohms. That is not so good. That's somewhere between 21 and 42 amps.

It is your face the mod will be stuck in - you choose.

Am I wrong in thinking 30a is the continuous limit.

For short bursts, the rating is higher.

Safe practice from my experience would be taking draws >10secs and giving a resting period in between to let it cool back down.

I decided to sack such a low resistance build. It just wouldn't sit well in my head.

I decided to sack such a low resistance build. It just wouldn't sit well in my head.

... I. Use the same at 0.04... man up ;)
3 to 5 second pulls max.

But on a serious note. .15 is fine, anything.under .1, you need to know when your batteries are getting warm.

Last edited:
its each to there own but to me thats like russian rulet,only a matter of time before something goes bang! But some people like to push the limits & thats there choice,

its each to there own but to me thats like russian rulet,only a matter of time before something goes bang! But some people like to push the limits & thats there choice,

I've vaped a 0.10 daily for a month, sod all happened. :P did it to test to see if anything did..

... I. Use the same at 0.04... man up ;)
3 to 5 second pulls max.

But on a serious note. .15 is fine, anything.under .1, you need to know when your batteries are getting warm.

Dude! thats 441Watts @ 105Amps, you really are a nutter! :whiteflag:

Back
Top Bottom