What's new

Review 4nine mechanical Mod - Clone - From Fasttech

cheersm8

Achiever
A review of the Fasttech version (clone) of the 4nine mechanical mod, purchased with my own money and used for 10 consecutive days.
Review applicable only to SKU: 1728300, and whilst using 18350 batteries. I have not tried any other battery configurations or any other clone variations.
Price paid: £9.31

Simply my best Fasttech purchase by far! Which can hardly be considered as a review, so I am obliged to expand :D

The Bits - Arrived in a black cardboard box, and it's components consisted of,1 x 18350 tube,with recessed basal cut outs for the switch. 2 X extensions (18500/18650) Tubes are a heavy and solid brushed stainless steel. 1 x 'slim' brass top cap, with delrin insert and 510 threaded 'hole'. 1 X copper switch button with magnet insert (one half of the switch). 1 X delrin insulated "battery magnet" (the second half of the switch).
All parts well machined and finished with no sharp edges, swarf, or residues.

Assembly - 1. Drop the copper switch base into the tube so that it sits,neatly, in the base. This took me a few goes to develop a technique as it had a habit of 'flipping' and ending up upside down or sideways. Once I had taught myself a way, which basically meant keeping the tube in a vertical position, it fitted in place very easily.
2. Attach the second half of the switch (magnetic disc assembly) to the base of your battery, making sure that the poles of both magnets are in 'repel' position. My switch assembly arrived with both halves of the switch stuck together and the most difficult part of the whole 4nine scenario was separating the little beasties.
3. Drop you battery,with magnet attached, into the tube and, if you have the poles the correct way round, the battery sits in a 'floating' position.
4. Attach the top cap. That's it, all assembled. The repelling force of the magnets is enough to keep the base button switch sitting nice and tightly in place with no horizontal slackness.
5. Screw on your atty! The top cap positive connection on the 4nine is a direct connection between battery and atomizer pin, and, although flat top batteries do fit and work OK, the 4nine design makes it more suitable for button tops. Obviously, because of the non adjustable, direct connection to the atty, the positive pin on your atomiser must be 'standing proud'. This has not proved to be a problem with any tank/atty that I have used, as the atty pin only needs to be sticking out by the tiniest of distances to make a good connection.

Firing - This was a weird one for me and I doubt that anybody will be lucky enough to find a comfortable holding and finger position first time out. About half an hours use gave me a feel for what was comfy for me and the best finger position for me to have comfy and easy firing. Once this was sorted, my 4nine now gives me positive and easy firing every time. I can see that, for some users, firing may feel 'awkward' and is, as far as my limited usage so far,is concerned, a very mild 'negative' that, although corrected over time and experience,does justify a mention in this review.

Performance - Damn! This thing hits! Well, you would expect it to with that direct battery connectivity with the atty! I have found no more heat produced than any other mechanical mod, and the bottom button has never felt so much as warm.There appears (by feel and use, I have not measured) to be very little voltage drop and it is giving me a powerful, consistent, vape throughout the charge life of the battery. For reasons unknown to me, the 4nine seems to work (as far as power goes) on an all or nothing basis, and it most definitely tells you when to change your battery. It goes something like this, full power,full power, full power,until 'weak as p*ss,no in between half measures with this mod.

Final notes - I purchased this mod for use as a small,convenient, pocket sized, 18350 mech to be used with a Kayfun PMMA'd nano,as an out and about device. In this respect, It has excelled, for me, way beyond my expectations. It has worked with all of my tanks and atties, although it's too top heavy and cumbersome (for me) when used with a Taifun GT, and, again for reasons unknown, performance,when used with a full sized Kayfun 3.1 ES,was less than perfect.

I have had an atty 'weld' to the top cap only once, and, after that one stuck atty, I'm making a point of keeping the top cap clean and polished, and have,since then, had no problems with any stuck atomisers.

Top Class stuff from our friends at Fasttech!

Photo to show a size comparison against other mechs in 18350 mode.

4nine.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using flat top batteries? I went with button top and have had issues to sort out with my m-vapes one.but loving it.

Are you using flat top batteries? I went with button top and have had issues to sort out with my m-vapes one.but loving it.

On at least one site it says use nipple tops. My two - from focalecig, not FT - are very picky about the 18650s they'll use. All of my 18650s are flat tops and they only work properly with Samsung INR-15M 18650s for me. I can get the other 18650s to work but it's a pain.

All my 18350s are nipple top and work just fine if I had any atomisers of high enough resistance to stick on top.

I'm using nipple top batteries. I have also used flat tops without issues, but my preference is for nipple tops, as the fit,snugly, into the top cap, when assembled.
Something that I forgot to mention in the review is that there are minor switch throw and battery adjustments possible via screwing in or out the copper/magnet insert (the battery disc part) within it's delrin surround.

Last edited:
I'm using nipple top batteries. I have also used flat tops without issues, but my preference is for nipple tops, as the fit,snugly, into the top cap, when assembled.
Something that I forgot to mention in the review is that there are minor switch throw and battery adjustments possible via screwing in or out the copper/magnet insert (the battery disc part) within it's delrin surround.

I will have a play with that I probably have to gain .5 of a ml for mines to be perfect.

Ok had a play it is at least part of the solution. have been able to get my 4nine working without a spacer on my 510 connector though I would like a fraction more drop on the switch a little more fiddling and it will be sorted thanks.

Last edited:
Ok I have got it working to my satisfaction.The drop on the switch is small but large enough to be safe.
my current understanding is that there should not really be any adjustment to be had by screwing the magnet up or down in its insulator the magnet should be screwed fully in (perhaps mine was not)in this position the brass connector sits snug against the base of the battery and the insulator is snug on the battery insulation that comes round the base.I also had a little brass nipple left from the machining of the conector I have removed this gaining another fraction of a mm.So thanks again for enlightening me that the magnet was screwed into the insulator without that info I am sure I would have come up with a less satisfactory solution.

Thanks to you also oldhippydude . Seems we have both learned a little something. The battery magnet is not, as I originally thought. 'adjustable' but rather that, if necessary, it should be screwed in to where it should be, as you discovered, with the delrin sitting snug against the battery.

Last edited:
What are the 2 clear tanks you've got there? Look nice :)

Sorry for being two months late with a reply Chuck Norris The clear tanks are Kayfuns. The short one is a fasttech full pmma nano kit,which has a pmma evaporation chamber and chimney. The longer one is also from fasttech, a pmma KF Lite. They both work OK, but neither are as good as a 'normal' Kayfun, the top cap O-rings can be a bit iffy, and the plastic parts of the nano are a bit brittle. Still worth the pennies,just for varieties sake though.

A review of the Fasttech version (clone) of the 4nine mechanical mod, purchased with my own money and used for 10 consecutive days.
Review applicable only to SKU: 1728300, and whilst using 18350 batteries. I have not tried any other battery configurations or any other clone variations.
Price paid: £9.31

Simply my best Fasttech purchase by far! Which can hardly be considered as a review, so I am obliged to expand :D

The Bits - Arrived in a black cardboard box, and it's components consisted of,1 x 18350 tube,with recessed basal cut outs for the switch. 2 X extensions (18500/18650) Tubes are a heavy and solid brushed stainless steel. 1 x 'slim' brass top cap, with delrin insert and 510 threaded 'hole'. 1 X copper switch button with magnet insert (one half of the switch). 1 X delrin insulated "battery magnet" (the second half of the switch).
All parts well machined and finished with no sharp edges, swarf, or residues.

Assembly - 1. Drop the copper switch base into the tube so that it sits,neatly, in the base. This took me a few goes to develop a technique as it had a habit of 'flipping' and ending up upside down or sideways. Once I had taught myself a way, which basically meant keeping the tube in a vertical position, it fitted in place very easily.
2. Attach the second half of the switch (magnetic disc assembly) to the base of your battery, making sure that the poles of both magnets are in 'repel' position. My switch assembly arrived with both halves of the switch stuck together and the most difficult part of the whole 4nine scenario was separating the little beasties.
3. Drop you battery,with magnet attached, into the tube and, if you have the poles the correct way round, the battery sits in a 'floating' position.
4. Attach the top cap. That's it, all assembled. The repelling force of the magnets is enough to keep the base button switch sitting nice and tightly in place with no horizontal slackness.
5. Screw on your atty! The top cap positive connection on the 4nine is a direct connection between battery and atomizer pin, and, although flat top batteries do fit and work OK, the 4nine design makes it more suitable for button tops. Obviously, because of the non adjustable, direct connection to the atty, the positive pin on your atomiser must be 'standing proud'. This has not proved to be a problem with any tank/atty that I have used, as the atty pin only needs to be sticking out by the tiniest of distances to make a good connection.

Firing - This was a weird one for me and I doubt that anybody will be lucky enough to find a comfortable holding and finger position first time out. About half an hours use gave me a feel for what was comfy for me and the best finger position for me to have comfy and easy firing. Once this was sorted, my 4nine now gives me positive and easy firing every time. I can see that, for some users, firing may feel 'awkward' and is, as far as my limited usage so far,is concerned, a very mild 'negative' that, although corrected over time and experience,does justify a mention in this review.

Performance - Damn! This thing hits! Well, you would expect it to with that direct battery connectivity with the atty! I have found no more heat produced than any other mechanical mod, and the bottom button has never felt so much as warm.There appears (by feel and use, I have not measured) to be very little voltage drop and it is giving me a powerful, consistent, vape throughout the charge life of the battery. For reasons unknown to me, the 4nine seems to work (as far as power goes) on an all or nothing basis, and it most definitely tells you when to change your battery. It goes something like this, full power,full power, full power,until 'weak as p*ss,no in between half measures with this mod.

Final notes - I purchased this mod for use as a small,convenient, pocket sized, 18350 mech to be used with a Kayfun PMMA'd nano,as an out and about device. In this respect, It has excelled, for me, way beyond my expectations. It has worked with all of my tanks and atties, although it's too top heavy and cumbersome (for me) when used with a Taifun GT, and, again for reasons unknown, performance,when used with a full sized Kayfun 3.1 ES,was less than perfect.

I have had an atty 'weld' to the top cap only once, and, after that one stuck atty, I'm making a point of keeping the top cap clean and polished, and have,since then, had no problems with any stuck atomisers.

Top Class stuff from our friends at Fasttech!

Photo to show a size comparison against other mechs in 18350 mode.

View attachment 28574

What is that clear tank on the 4nine? Looks good

Back
Top Bottom