What's new

i know these are meant to be fiddly until you get the hang of them but f*ck me...

m0th

Postman
so i've just taken delivery of a kraken clone from fast tech. my first go i managed to get a build going with a stainless steel mesh wick using .28mm kanthal at a resistance of about .6 ohms. it was working ok but getting a metallic taste because of a few hotspots (i think). i've tried 3 times since and burnt out the coil trying to get the hot spots out every time. i've just had another go using a cotton wool u-wick and i'm still getting dry hits after a few tokes.
i think the really sad thing is that i'm in my element, i've taken a 5 minute break to write this post because i was about to throw my mod at the wall but that's nothing new, i'm a stressy kind of guy. i'm really enjoying it.

My latest and most stable build in the Kraken, I cheated: made two microcoils around a drill bit just thick enough so that the SS rope wick would pass through, fixed the coils in place, and then slid the wicks down into them afterwards. No hotspots, no metallic taste (both of which had been a problem).

What drill bit you use will depend on the thickness of your SS rope and how much mesh you wrap around it; the inner diameter of your coil doesn't want to be any larger than it has to be. It is a matter which requires the most delicate judgement on both sides (as Sidney Greenstreet once said, about something else altogether).

My latest and most stable build in the Kraken, I cheated: made two microcoils around a drill bit just thick enough so that the SS rope wick would pass through, fixed the coils in place, and then slid the wicks down into them afterwards. No hotspots, no metallic taste (both of which had been a problem).

What drill bit you use will depend on the thickness of your SS rope and how much mesh you wrap around it; the inner diameter of your coil doesn't want to be any larger than it has to be. It is a matter which requires the most delicate judgement on both sides (as Sidney Greenstreet once said, about something else altogether).

i'm not using stainless steel rope, just rolled up ss mesh ala rip trippers noob genesis how to video (the one he did before his beard got too big and made him crazy). i always get a hot spot on the top loop of the coil as it doesn't seem to be wicking fast enough. i've got a set of allen keys that are .9mm 1.27mm 1.5mm and 2mm. there are some bigger ones but i've never used them, i might give your method a go tomorrow. cheers for the tip.

i've given up for today. i'm going to really really lose my temper with it shortly so i'm walking away. :)

fuck that s/s wick .looks too much like hard work /only ever heard people moaning how hard gennies are to set up .. no need for gennies when there are kayfuns in the world :umm:

Gennies generally need to be tipped to aid juice flow.
The odd cotton wicked genny kept up but mesh never did in my experience.

My Kraken/Prometheus/Steam turbine have been sat on the shelf since the Taifun GT was purchased tbh.

anyone tried putting silica up the inside of the ss mesh? wonder if that'll give it a bit more upward flow?

I tried it with cotton, swiss roll stylee.
I still had to tip.

i don't mind having to tilt. i was getting a dry/hot spot and burnt taste about half a second after firing, even after a tilt. just want it to work for long enough to get a good vape off it. i'll get the hang of it in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom