What's new

Expired Eliquid safe to vape?

OK so e-liquid isn't food, it cannot make you sick. you could vape e-liquid that was 10 years old without any problems there.

PG is anti-microbial and VG is bacteriostatic, that's a fancy way of saying nothing is going to grow in there.
(incidentally that's also why home made juice and kitchen sink mixed juice doesn't make people ill, even if you sneezed all over your e-liquid when you made it up the bulk of it stops germs multiplying and can even kill off some germs so your average immune system is more than able to handle any stray ones that live long enough to make it into the vapour you inhale)

As e-liquid ages the nicotine in it degrades. It oxidises and does 'stuff' to the flavours that are in there too. This changes the colour and can also effect the flavour.

You want this to happen at the start of an e-liquids life. We call it steeping.
Eventually the steeping goes too far and the nicotine content drops away and the flavours can turn 'odd' How the liquid is stored can speed up or slow down this process. Kept in a cool dark place e-liquid will last a long time. Keep it in an open bottle on a bright windowledge and you might only have a couple of months of life.

So vape on. If you vape it and it tastes rank throw it away. If you vape it and nothing much happens nic wise, then the nicotine is probably gone and throwing it is a good plan. Otherwise it should be fine.

I'm not 100% sure about vaping nicotine that's degraded. It breaks down into other chemicals. As far as I know those other chemicals aren't going to do you any damage.

Use by dates are really only best before dates

Last edited:
As I've heard that nic base has an optimum shelf-life of 2 years (unless kept in the freezer), I'm assuming the expiry date (which in my experience is always 2 years after the date of manufacture) is more about it being guaranteed to be optimum strength up to that time.

I wouldn't have any qualms about vaping juice much older (not that my DIY would be around that long) - I would consider the expiry date to be a "best before" rather than "use by"

Back
Top Bottom