What's new

Dovpo MVP Community Review - The Results

hack400

Legend
Dovpo MVP Community Review

Hello everyone and welcome to the Dovpo MVP Community Review. This time around we reviewed the new Dovpo MVP Mod.

Before we head in, I’d like to thank Andy (@dovpo_uk) for putting this event together. Without his hard work and support we wouldn’t be able to do these reviews, which are great fun. I would also like to thank all the testers involved, without your input this review wouldn’t work, so a big thanks from me!

First off, before getting into the review let’s quickly look at the mod. The MVP is an evolution of the Dovpo MVV Mod, which was a Variable Voltage only mod. The new MVP uses the same body shell as the MVV, but Dovpo saw an opening and replaced the Variable Voltage board with a full featured regulated board. The new MVP now supports all the normal features you’d expect on a mod, with Watt, Temp Control and keeps the VV mode.

The MVP is being marketed at the budget scale end of the price range, but that doesn’t mean you’re getting a budget device. More on that later.

The MVP is a dual 18650 regulated mod, capable of 220W.

Styling is very similar to the MVV, and it is available in 4 colours and transparent shell and comes with different door options. Let’s have a quick look.

upload_2022-8-4_13-38-13.png

Unlike the MVV, the new MVP is a regulated mod with everything you’d expect, with Power, Voltage and Temperature Control modes. It comes with a 0.96” TDT Display and the usual menu controls.

upload_2022-8-4_13-38-44.png

Here are the specifications

upload_2022-8-4_13-39-0.png

In the box you’ll find the mod, a USB-C cable, Instruction manual and the authenticity certificate.

upload_2022-8-4_13-39-16.png

Ok, that’s enough of the marketing effort, let’s get into the Review.

The Review.

As you probably know, a selection of 4 members were randomly drawn from a list of hopeful participants. The event participants are

@ForestMagpie
@Genghis Fogs
@pixelhazard
@Sam Andrews

We were also joined by @KG1690, who was the winner of a draw that @dovpo_uk ran on that social media site we won’t name.

Along with this merry crew there was @RichieRich (thanks for all your help!), me (@hack400) and @Andrew_Vaping_101 also popped his head in once in a while.

A chat room was created, and it wasn’t long before the usual banter started flowing. @RichieRich was soon to get scorecards organized and everyone was presented with a choice of colours to pick. Andy joined, got everyone in line, and before long he had a list of all the mods he had to spend the weekend packing up (as well as some other goodies), before posting them off on Monday.

Very quickly everyone had their MVP In hand, and everyone started digging into their brand-new mod. The mod comes in a very nicely presented package that has a premium feel to it.

upload_2022-8-4_13-40-25.png

The included manual has all the basic information on how to operate the device, although most will find the menu intuitive enough to ignore the manual and get stuck in. We’ll deep dive into the operation later on, but first let’s have a closer look at the mod.

The mod is well constructed, while maintaining a light weight, and even though it is all plastic it has a solid feel to it.

RichieRich – “Seems well built, 510 section well finished. Battery door creaks when holding device.”

Sam Andrews – “solid build, detailing on the door panels is brilliant not a sticker. no rattles etc”

Genghis Fogs – “I was disappointed that the 510 pin was corroded* / not fully plated. Not sure if this impacts on conductivity. Besides this I think the build quality is good. Fire and menu buttons are good, nice and clicky and I like that they are round and protrude. The door panel is really thick and feels high quality, but it moves when pushed up and down, could have been a better fit. The door magnets aren't that strong, but they do the trick. No rattles and overall, it feels very solid.”

*Note that the 510 pin issue did not cause problems with the use of the mod.

A few close ups to keep you interested.

upload_2022-8-4_13-40-56.png
upload_2022-8-4_13-41-3.png

There was a bit of a fight over the visibility of the battery terminals, something about who buys a clear plastic mod and then complains about being able to see inside, but we’ll leave that one lie…

As you can see in the first photo above, the mod is well sized, and should be comfortable to hold in one hand.

pixelhazard – “light weight compared to other mods in similar size, nice and grippy, comfortable to hold in right or left hand”

The display is nice and bright and shows everything you need to see on the main display. One drawback is that there are only 2 colour options available, red and green, which is a bit limiting, especially in bright light.

upload_2022-8-4_13-41-39.png

RichieRich – “No complaints here. Much better than the Riva. Nice and bright. Also bonus of having a brightness option. Would have liked to see more theme options than Green or red”

Sam Andrews – “everything you need displayed could be a little brighter “

hack400 – “All the basic functionality you expect is here. Red is a pretty useless colour for my eyes, small letters and numbers are difficult to read (red has this problem, it blurs). Only other option is green. White would be a useful "colour" option.”

ForestMagpie – “Some of the info is a little small, it's fine for me as my eyesight is excellent but those who don’t have great vision it will be a little hard to read at times. Could make the screen a little bigger in my opinion to enhance it. Though I appreciate the screen colour options, to only have a choice of 2 colours feels like a missed opportunity. Screen is bright enough for me but can be tricky to see in bright sunshine.”

The instruction manual contains everything you need to operate the mod, but the device is so easy to use that you can probably get going without even looking at the manual (who does?). But just in case, here’s some details from the manual just to beef out the review.

upload_2022-8-4_13-42-1.png

upload_2022-8-4_13-42-43.png

It contains all the basic information, so I won’t bore you with any more details.

Sam Andrews – “easy to use mod very little info needed. leaflet explains what you need”

RichieRich – “TC adjustment/mode operation could do with being in the same section.”

Genghis Fogs – “Covers the essentials of the Mod - but could be written in much better English. Some sentences don't make sense. This is so easy to do, just seems somehow unprofessional not to get it checked and done properly.”

Standard fare for a mod manual!

As you saw earlier, there are quite a few colour options available with this mod. Dovpo have tried to make the mod appeal to everyone, from basic colours to fancy door panels. Here are a few pictures of some of the different configurations, as well as a warning.

Clear/Carbon

upload_2022-8-4_13-43-13.png

Fire Demon Beast/Black

upload_2022-8-4_13-43-41.png

Geishe / Black

upload_2022-8-4_13-43-57.png

And now for some confusing photos. Here’s the Pink and Purple mods.

upload_2022-8-4_13-44-29.png

Now, here’s the Purple mod with some pink batteries (30Q’s probably).

upload_2022-8-4_13-44-44.png

As you can see that purple quickly changes to pink.

Same mod in a different light.

upload_2022-8-4_13-45-2.png

Well, we will leave it up to you to decide, but we thought we’d warn you that the purple can change colour on you

ForestMagpie – “Not purple. Besides that, I think the options are good. If you want the plain mod you have some good choices though and with the addition of the design ones I think there should be one for everyone. Perhaps one with the Forest logo would enhance the range further.”

Ok, so enough about how it looks and feels, what you really want to know is does it vape properly, are the controls sensible and are they easy to use. Well, I do want you to keep reading, so I won’t answer those questions right now, but will drag you through some more details as we answer the important questions…here we go.

First off, is it easy to use. I think the simple answer to that is yes. What did the reviewers say?

Genghis Fogs – “I would recommend this mod to someone wanting to move on from a pod system / try our more variable wattage etc. It's really easy to use.”

Sam Andrews – “3 buttons control everything needed on the mod”

And my favourite…

RichieRich – “Piss easy”

I do think that last comment sums it up though, it really is a very easy mod to use, as a mod should be. You shouldn’t need a degree to battle the menu system every time you want to change anything, and you’ll find this mod easy to get on with.

The Menu System is intuitive and very self-explanatory. There are limited options (it’s not a DNA mod) but everything you need is easily available.

Wattage Vaping.

It’s a very straightforward mod to use. Put the tank on, it reads the resistance, set the W and away you go.

What did the testers think?

ForestMagpie – “All nice and easy and worked brilliantly for me, set and fire, fires quickly and is easy to set, lock and use. I'd like to see the wattage increase/decrease in 0.1w increments but that's a personal thing.”

RichieRich – “Super easy. + or - to adjust wattage. Simples, and works well. Adjustments in 0.5w increments, not sure it’s needed unless you plan to fine-tune an MTL vape rather than DTL”

KG1690 – “gave this a pretty high score as it’s the only mode I use with being a new vaper”

Sam Andrews – “could have maybe added .1 increments but doesn't make a difference”

Genghis Fogs – “Really like it in wattage mod. I see no difference between this mod and some of my more expensive ones. I like the 0.5 increments. Round robin would have been good from 220 to 0, but I don't generally vape higher that 80w so it's not an issue for me.”

Temperature Control Vaping.

Well, here’s the rub. I am the only person in the group who uses TC, so you’ll have to go with what I think. I took a Profile Unity with a 0.15ohm SS316L mesh coil that I had been using a slapped it on the mod. It was easy to select SS Mode from the menu. Adjusting the Temperature is just +/- and obvious. I did not read the manual very well, and @dovpo_uk had to tell me how to adjust the Wattage, which is a case of pressing the Fire and + buttons at the same time to enable the Wattage controls. Once I figured that out, I was off and running. Worked perfectly well for me and produced a very good vape.

Variable Volt Vaping.

This one worked as described. Just adjust the volts up/down. It does show you the Watts, so to me this seems a little bit of a weird one, but what do I know…

ForestMagpie – “Again no issues in VV at all, all vaped nicely and no complaints at all”

Genghis Fogs – “I don't vape in voltage mode usually, but the controls are good.”

RichieRich – “Again, simple to use.”

Well, that’s it then folks, we’ve reached the end of the review. All there is now is to tell you the scores, so here they are.

hack400 - 8.1/10

Genghis Fogs - 8.5/10

pixelhazard - 7.4/10

Sam Andrews - 9.0/10

KG1690 - 8.1/10

RichieRich - 9.3/10

ForestMagpie - 8.6/10

Average - 8.5/10

The average score across all testers was a very reasonable 8.5/10. For a mod that you can buy for £30 that’s pretty good.

You can read all the details in the attached PDF’s which contain all of the tester’s feedback. I will also be attaching full size images in a second post, which will include lots of photos that were not in the main review.

Thanks for reading, please post any comments good or bad below, or any questions you have for the review team.

Bye for now…

Attachments

• MVP.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 43
Not been posting much lately but just saw this yesterday. Thanks @hack400 or the write up. I do enjoy these community reviews and it's a good one again from all involved. Nice looking mod as well, quite fancy one.

Back
Top Bottom