What's new

Help coils reading wrong

Sounds like one of the coils is not connected in the deck. If a single coil reads 0.36 then two should read 0.18. Check to see what a single coil reads to see what the actual resistance of the coils are first.

Sounds like one of the coils is not connected in the deck. If a single coil reads 0.36 then two should read 0.18. Check to see what a single coil reads to see what the actual resistance of the coils are first.

I've just tried a pair of those coils (same brand, same design tub, same claimed 0.36 ohms) and got a reading of 0.35 for a pair. Both coils were glowing evenly so there was no connection problem - I've been vaping on them for the last 45 minutes in a 22mm Tsunami and they're OK at 55W.

I've also used the '0.45 ohm' KA1 mixed twisted coils that come in the same style tubs - the resistance should have been 0.22 - 0.23 a pair, but was way over 0.30. The quoted resistance for the coils in that range with the green ring on the label seem to bear little resemblance to the coils in the tubs. The same manufacturer does a range of complex coils (they have an orange ring on the label) the claimed resistance on these tend to be accurate but the coils are huge Kanthal jobs that need a lot of power.

I've just tried a pair of those coils (same brand, same design tub, same claimed 0.36 ohms) and got a reading of 0.35 for a pair. Both coils were glowing evenly so there was no connection problem - I've been vaping on them for the last 45 minutes in a 22mm Tsunami and they're OK at 55W.

I've also used the '0.45 ohm' KA1 mixed twisted coils that come in the same style tubs - the resistance should have been 0.22 - 0.23 a pair, but was way over 0.30. The quoted resistance for the coils in that range with the green ring on the label seem to bear little resemblance to the coils in the tubs. The same manufacturer does a range of complex coils (they have an orange ring on the label) the claimed resistance on these tend to be accurate but the coils are huge Kanthal jobs that need a lot of power.
Blimey, makes you wonder why they bothered putting a resistance value on the tub in the first place.

I'd bet that the resistance reading is right and the specs of the coil are wrong. ... seems more likely than the other way around.

Maybe the stated resistance is for a pair, they do that sometimes.

I'd bet that the resistance reading is right and the specs of the coil are wrong. ... seems more likely than the other way around.

Bit of a buggar if your planning on using them in a single coiler

You can never tell the exact resistance until it is fitted. And the resistance may go up when pulsing and dry burn.

If a single coil reads 0.36 then two should read 0.18. Check to see what a single coil reads to see what the actual resistance of the coils are first.
I'd do this bit ^^^ but on both coils then fit as duel and see if they half.
If not I'd bin them.

You're probably right. I've bought coils before that have been labelled with the resistance for a pair. The only way to find out for sure is to remove one of them and see what the resistance is for a single coil.

Back
Top Bottom