What's new

Just found this! Who misses these?

awwwww the memories .....i had two of these as a young un and loved them .... this post makes me feel a tad old now :18:

Ian tmb

@conanthewarrior don't know if your md is the same format as the one I used to have but I used to have to convert all my music to atrac format using the sonic stage software to get more music on the disc and that was a total pain in the arse tbh and sound quality suffered .
I'll be honest and say it's not worth the hassle imo .
Mini disc sounded great with uncompressed discs but Sony mdlp was just too much like hard work when atrac was unsupported by pretty much anything else
On the other hand I still use my old 16gb Sony mp3 player all the time which is tiny and the sound pisses over any phone and the battery lasts for weeks

@conanthewarrior don't know if your md is the same format as the one I used to have but I used to have to convert all my music to atrac format using the sonic stage software to get more music on the disc and that was a total pain in the arse tbh and sound quality suffered .
I'll be honest and say it's not worth the hassle imo .
Mini disc sounded great with uncompressed discs but Sony mdlp was just too much like hard work when atrac was unsupported by pretty much anything else
On the other hand I still use my old 16gb Sony mp3 player all the time which is tiny and the sound pisses over any phone and the battery lasts for weeks
image.jpg
Yep that’s the format mate and you are correct on it using ATRAC format for lossy compression for LP2 and LP4.

The few mixtapes I found actually sound good and one is only 30 minutes so it may have been recorded using optical or was not compressed into the LP format.

I studied to become a sound engineer and producer at the British academy of new music, and I haven’t listened through my studio monitors but using either the sennheiser HD25 I-II or Audio technica MH50Xs they sound quite good, and they are far from bad headphones.

I gather if it was LP2 or LP4 it would sound quite awful by today’s standards (apart from something that has been brick walled with harsh clipping- there’s some artists using that now as an effect, intentionally Clipping into the DAW for vocals and even instruments.)

What model player do you own? I may try and find an old IPod classic and stick a portable headphone amp on it

View attachment 264717Yep that’s the format mate and you are correct on it using ATRAC format for lossy compression for LP2 and LP4.

The few mixtapes I found actually sound good and one is only 30 minutes so it may have been recorded using optical or was not compressed into the LP format.

I studied to become a sound engineer and producer at the British academy of new music, and I haven’t listened through my studio monitors but using either the sennheiser HD25 I-II or Audio technica MH50Xs they sound quite good, and they are far from bad headphones.

I gather if it was LP2 or LP4 it would sound quite awful by today’s standards (apart from something that has been brick walled with harsh clipping- there’s some artists using that now as an effect, intentionally Clipping into the DAW for vocals and even instruments.)

What model player do you own? I may try and find an old IPod classic and stick a portable headphone amp on it

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-walkman-nwz-s639f-16gb

That's the old mp3 player I've got , used with a pair of sennheiser m2 in ears sounds awesome and very loud.
The killer for my minidisc was having to convert to atrac _ absolute pain in the arse . When with mp3 it's just drag and drop. You might have better luck if your converting from lossles or original audio but converting from mp3 to atrac is just pointless and a waste of time
To my ears ipods don't sound anywhere near as good as the Sony. There's so many different sound settings you can get it sounding exactly how you like it.
Just had a quick look on ebay and the sonys still go for decent money .

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-walkman-nwz-s639f-16gb

That's the old mp3 player I've got , used with a pair of sennheiser m2 in ears sounds awesome and very loud.
The killer for my minidisc was having to convert to atrac _ absolute pain in the arse . When with mp3 it's just drag and drop. You might have better luck if your converting from lossles or original audio but converting from mp3 to atrac is just pointless and a waste of time
To my ears ipods don't sound anywhere near as good as the Sony. There's so many different sound settings you can get it sounding exactly how you like it.
Just had a quick look on ebay and the sonys still go for decent money .
I will look into that player thank you mate.

Yes, I agree now as I have been trying to convert to ATRAC with no luck.

Could have been a great format if it wasn’t limited to that, and I imagine minidisc would have caught on a lot more over here.

A fellow engineer or audio fan I guess with those in ears?

The iPod classic can be great with a small amp, and if I remember correctly some custom firmware- 160GB of pure audio goodness. It’s a shame it was discontinued for the more expensive iPod touch.

Kind of like how my MBP has failed, I would switch to windows in an instant if it had something with the same workflow as logic. I like Cubase, but paying out extra for synths and samples annoys me when logic comes with so much included

Certainly not a sound engineer but I like to get the best sound for what I can afford..
just found Robert dyas are doing sennheisers momentum for less than 30 quid doesn't say if they are m1 or m2 but for that price are a absolute bargain
I paid a ton for mine acouple of years back
https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/sennhe...LPgBctVhrRXV0uB7GcQGFjGXhwECzXlIaAjw4EALw_wcB

Heres review of the m2
https://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/momentum-m2-iei/review

Just getting back into my synths myself . Most of my stuff I record live but really need to get a simple to use daw to do a bit of post and add a few bits here and there.

Never had a go on a ipod classic , but my Mrs old touch was absolute dogshit sound wise imo

Last edited:
View attachment 264202
I just found this in my draw, brings back a lot of memory’s, and the battery is still working! God knows how.

Have some strange mix tape in there at the moment, but who remember mini disc?

I’m not even sure if I could transfer songs to it now, but was proud as it could do the 4 times length- at a lower bit rate but made me happy it could hold that much music on one disc!

Think I am going to use this as long as there is still a way to transfer. I could use the studio and record through line in but that means playing the whole thing to record and hope it doesn’t clip or go wrong:

Anyone else found anything that’s made them smile lately from years before?

I bought a minidisc player (it might have been the same model as pictured) with my first full wages when I was in the Army. I bought some empty minidiscs as well and although they were all supposed to be blank and the box was wrapped from the factory, one of them had the OPM album Menace to Sobriety on it, wasn't a bad album actually.
I miss that minidisc player, they were so much better than cassettes.

Loved the colours of minidisks, came out about the time I was busy stealing music from the internet. Preferred C90s though tbh.

Loved the colours of minidisks, came out about the time I was busy stealing music from the internet. Preferred C90s though tbh.
I've always wondered about the Internet sites that allowed for downloading music for free, or theft as its called. The scale of cassette copying was huge when I was a kid, I must have made 50 copies of Pink Floyd The Wall for my mates, all off of a copy from my step dad's Vinyl. Was the scale of Internet down loads really that much larger than cassette copying or was it just easier to control? Genuine question.

I've always wondered about the Internet sites that allowed for downloading music for free, or theft as its called. The scale of cassette copying was huge when I was a kid, I must have made 50 copies of Pink Floyd The Wall for my mates, all off of a copy from my step dad's Vinyl. Was the scale of Internet down loads really that much larger than cassette copying or was it just easier to control? Genuine question.
Rather than taping an album for a mate, I was able to access everything I ever wanted to listen to - and more besides. I downloaded entire discographies, films, TV series, and comics by the containerload.

The whole ‘home taping is killing music’ was dwarfed imho. I think it genuinely threatened the industry at one point which is why so much effort and resources were put in to trying to catch and prosecute uploaders.

The downsides (apart from the illegality): poor compression rates and sound quality.

I’m very happy with the lossless paid-for streaming services now.

Back
Top Bottom