What's new

Curiosity of rebuilds

The Labo is well worth the purchase. I was definitely sceptical when I first read about it. Been using it for 3 months now and I wick mesh coils with it using a whole pad (don't tell anyone), but also use it for MTL and DTL coils. I have barely dented the pack. It will last years.
That's exactly what we need, something economical

Yeah I've been told about that before but you have to peel away and faff doing Scottish roll technique? Seems to be just something more to do?
I only do the Scottish roll thing with it because I'm too tight to peel it and throw the peeled bits away. :8:

Does this seem ok?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117_200059_com.stasbar.vape_tool.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117_200059_com.stasbar.vape_tool.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220117_200114_com.stasbar.vape_tool.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117_200114_com.stasbar.vape_tool.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 31
Does this seem ok?

It will work, but a 5 wrap coil of 24 gauge will only be about 3mm or so wide - it will heat up REALLY fast in a DL tank, but the heat will spread across a narrow area giving a high possibility of burning the cotton. Personally I would go at least 8 wraps, but a wrap or two more won't do any harm. 5 wraps is great for MTL where small narrow coils are desirable but they're not so great for DTL when using simple round-wire. If you look at the tub of coils you have many of them are 5 or 6 wraps - but these are either made from several pieces of twisted wire or claptoned wires (core wires with thinner wire wrapped around them) which effectively makes the wire considerably thicker giving better cotton coverage.

8 or 9 wraps sounds like a lot, but 24 gauge is just over 0.5mm thickness so if you add wraps it still won't have excessive mass and will ramp up to vaping temperature pretty fast. Don't be tempted to buy thicker wire than 24 gauge - thicker wire WILL give better cotton coverage but it will take more energy to heat up, and, more importantly, take a long time to cool down - which can make your tank retain heat and get too hot. Thicker gauge round-wires used to be popular for mech mod use - but hardly anyone uses them these days as they are a little bit shit compared to the lower resistance complex coils now available.

24 gauge is the right place to be when you start making your own coils - don't be scared of adding a few wraps as the mod can handle it easily, and if you want to experiment you can always take off a wrap at a time to see what the effect will be - on a regulated mod you won't run into any safety issues because if the resistance goes too low it will give an explanatory error message and refuse to fire.

Last edited:
It will work, but a 5 wrap coil of 24 gauge will only be about 3mm or so wide - it will heat up REALLY fast in a DL tank, but the heat will spread across a narrow area giving a high possibility of burning the cotton. Personally I would go at least 8 wraps, but a wrap or two more won't do any harm. 5 wraps is great for MTL where small narrow coils are desirable but they're not so great for DTL when using simple round-wire. If you look at the tub of coils you have many of them are 5 or 6 wraps - but these are either made from several pieces of twisted wire or claptoned wires (core wires with thinner wire wrapped around them) which effectively makes the wire considerably thicker giving better cotton coverage.

8 or 9 wraps sounds like a lot, but 24 gauge is just over 0.5mm thickness so if you add wraps it still won't have excessive mass and will ramp up to vaping temperature pretty fast. Don't be tempted to buy thicker wire than 24 gauge - thicker wire WILL give better cotton coverage but it will take more energy to heat up, and, more importantly, take a long time to cool down - which can make your tank retain heat and get too hot. Thicker gauge round-wires used to be popular for mech mod use - but hardly anyone uses them these days as they are a little bit shit compared to the lower resistance complex coils now available.

24 gauge is the right place to be when you start making your own coils - don't be scared of adding a few wraps as the mod can handle it easily, and if you want to experiment you can always take off a wrap at a time to see what the effect will be - on a regulated mod you won't run into any safety issues because if the resistance goes too low it will give an explanatory error message and refuse to fire.
I'm not MTL and it'll be dual coil so shall I make 3.5 and about 8 wraps each? I don't want to be using high wattage just to get the flavour

I'm not MTL and it'll be dual coil so shall I make 3.5 and about 8 wraps each? Will I need a higher wattage to get the flavour? Thank you

I'm not MTL and it'll be dual coil so shall I make 3.5 and about 8 wraps each? I don't want to be using high wattage just to get the flavour

I'm not MTL and it'll be dual coil so shall I make 3.5 and about 8 wraps each? Will I need a higher wattage to get the flavour? Thank you

Unless the tank you are using is massive I would stick with 3mm i.d. coils - in the Kensei I would use 2.5mm diameter. With dual 8 to 10 wrap SS 316L coils you won't need to crank the power up any more than you would for that tub of various coils.

8 to 10 wraps sounds a lot, but as you stated, these coils aren't to be used for MTL - you need a pair of relatively large coils for DL and 5 round-wire wrap just won't give you that because they won't cover enough cotton.

Don't worry too much, SS316L is low resistance wire (a dual 8 wrap 3mm will be around 0.18 - a 10 wrap around 0.24) your mods will have no problems whatsoever firing these coils, and you won't need particularly high power settings to make them wolrk, just start low - 40ish and bump up be power progressively until you find your sweet spot. Round wire builds don't use a lot of metal as it is just one strand being wrapped instead of multiple wires being twisted or bound together to make a single, much thicker, wire so they don't need extra power to heat up - if anything they will need a little less power to achieve the same temperature, and they will ramp up just as fast.

Back
Top Bottom