What's new

Should restrictions be lifted on the 19th?

Should restrictions including wearing masks and social distancing be lifted on the 19th?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Banana

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes but it won't eradicate the risk

And wearing a seal belt or bike helmet doesn't guarantee you won't die if you crash. It still reduces injury and death dramatically so we wear helmets and seat belts. It's about minimising risk, not eradicating it.

And wearing a seal belt or bike helmet doesn't guarantee you won't die if you crash. It still reduces injury and death dramatically so we wear helmets and seat belts. It's about minimising risk, not eradicating it.
I agree totally.

My gripe is being told I was wrong that you can still pass on the virus when vaccinated.

More than half of COVID hospitalisations are patients who tested positive after admission - report

Only 44% of patients in England who are classed as being hospitalised with COVID actually tested positive ahead of admission, leaked NHS data reportedly shows.

This suggests significant numbers are being considered hospitalised by COVID when they initially arrived with other conditions, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The majority of cases were not detected until patients underwent virus testing carried out on everyone admitted to hospitals in England for any reason.

Some 56% of COVID hospital admissions fell into this category, according to the data.

So give or take, the numbers, half of the covid patients in hospital are only covid patients after admission.

Which ties into what i was posting last week about covid patients not necesserily recieving treatment for covid but being classed as one.

the actual number of medical covid patients could be a lot lower than it actually is, combined with falling cases.......... Maybe the government was right to open the country up completely?

Ahh seems there is also a case of patients only catching covid in hospital after being admitted....

NHS 'doing absolutely everything it can' to ensure less people infected with COVID in hospital

We reported earlier how more than half of COVID hospitalisations in England are patients who tested positive after admission, according to leaked data seen by the Telegraph.

However, speaking to Kay Burley, the chief executive of NHS Providers Chris Hopson said the findings are more "sophisticated" and "nuanced" then initially suggested.

He said there are two things that could impact the reported data: asymptomatic patients not testing positive until three days after admission, and the risk of catching the virus while in hospital.

"When you do testing both at admission and three days later, what you find is you might admit someone and them not have COVID and then three days later they might have COVID so that might be what's going on," he said.

"The second thing is that there is a risk of people catching COVID in hospital, particularly with this variant that is 66% more infectious than the previously dominant Alpha variant."

He added: "The NHS is doing absolutely everything it can to make sure that the hospital-acquired infection rate is as low as possible but it is a challenge.

"What you've got in hospital is an unfortunate combination of people with COVID, but also patients who are ill, and who have got much lower immunity."

So give or take, the numbers, half of the covid patients in hospital are only covid patients after admission.

Which ties into what i was posting last week about covid patients not necesserily recieving treatment for covid but being classed as one.

the actual number of medical covid patients could be a lot lower than it actually is, combined with falling cases.......... Maybe the government was right to open the country up completely?

Ahh seems there is also a case of patients only catching covid in hospital after being admitted....

But you're something very important - they're taking up a bed in a Covid ward. Regardless of if they have Covid knee and if they eventually die of Covid knee or WITH Covid knee they are still a Covid patient - if is irrelevant if Covid is discovered on admission or if was known to be present - anyone being kept in hospital is there because they need constant medical supervision, if they are in a hospital ward and they are a covid patient they are a covid statistic so MUST be classified as a Covid statistic,

It sounds like you would like infinite statistics for every ailment/injury that every patient is hospitalised for to be duplicated for covid/non covid and broken down yet again into sub categories of how serious/life threatening each ailment is and label that patient accordingly. It would entertain the armchair experts - but it would take an awful long time to collate that information and create a database to store it. But first maybe you should ask yourself - what's the point?

Some people will contract Covid in hospital, some will contract it doing their weekly shopping, some may catch it from the toilet seat for all I know. Its a highly infectious disease, these things happen - its shit that you can get it in a hospital, but if measures were 100% effective Covid would have been eradicated 18 months ago.

We'll find out If the country was right or not to open up on the 19th one way or another in the next few weeks, I hope so.

Maybe the government was right to open the country up completely?

Personally, I haven't really heard anyone question the need to open up, either on the forum or off. I think most people with reservations are simply concerned with the manner in which it was done; opening up entirely whilst cases were still so high and climbing, with still many unvaccinated people or with a single dose only, PLUS throwing caution to the wind and removing virtually all mitigation, all at the same time. Even if the gamble pays off it doesn't mean it was done the right way.

Right or wrong, the manner in which it was done was trounced by almost every qualified person who expressed a public opinion. I've genuinely started to believe that the intention was to maximise infections in a rip it off vs pull it slowly mentality ushered in with the departure of Hancock.

But you're something very important - they're taking up a bed in a Covid ward. Regardless of if they have Covid knee and if they eventually die of Covid knee or WITH Covid knee they are still a Covid patient - if is irrelevant if Covid is discovered on admission or if was known to be present - anyone being kept in hospital is there because they need constant medical supervision, if they are in a hospital ward and they are a covid patient they are a covid statistic so MUST be classified as a Covid statistic,

It sounds like you would like infinite statistics for every ailment/injury that every patient is hospitalised for to be duplicated for covid/non covid and broken down yet again into sub categories of how serious/life threatening each ailment is and label that patient accordingly. It would entertain the armchair experts - but it would take an awful long time to collate that information and create a database to store it. But first maybe you should ask yourself - what's the point?

Some people will contract Covid in hospital, some will contract it doing their weekly shopping, some may catch it from the toilet seat for all I know. Its a highly infectious disease, these things happen - its shit that you can get it in a hospital, but if measures were 100% effective Covid would have been eradicated 18 months ago.

We'll find out If the country was right or not to open up on the 19th one way or another in the next few weeks, I hope so.

exactly, and in addition, there is no reason to think that people admitted to hospital for some other reason, who subsequently get diagnosed with covid, would not go o. to become seriously ill with it. in fact it’s probably more likely simply by virtue of the fact that they have been admitted to hospital to be treated for some other health ailment.

exactly, and in addition, there is no reason to think that people admitted to hospital for some other reason, who subsequently get diagnosed with covid, would not go o. to become seriously ill with it. in fact it’s probably more likely simply by virtue of the fact that they have been admitted to hospital to be treated for some other health ailment.

Yup, isn't it weird how the most obvious things can be the most difficult to spot?

Back
Top Bottom