What's new

Kylin M, initial thoughts

richydraper

Postman
Evening you lot.

Kylin M RTA arrived today. Running on its standard kanthal mesh strips (0.15ohm) and the bundled cotton.

Initial thoughts are... its not great
I expected a LOT more.

I know this tank is considered "not for noobs" I don't consider my self as a noob when it comes to being able to build on or fix issues with rebuildables.

Running a 50/50 juice, I've rewicked numerous times I either get instant dry hit or huge flooding after Initial fill. Dry hits are happening well underneath the "recommended minimum" 40w of the strips.( wicks are loose enough without getting the deck flooded)

I'm having to run it at 30w to get even close to an acceptable vape but then vapour and taste take a dive.

As I write this I'm actually getting slightly dry hits whilst getting minor gurgling at the same time???

Pros:-
-The strips are easy to install.
-Beautiful tank, nicely made.
-Box comes with everything needed.

Cons:-
-Not as much air flow as I expected from reviews (drag behaviour changed as I'm used to a TFV12 on prebuilt mesh with a metric ton of airflow, the tight deck doesn't allow anywhere near TFV12 levels of airflow though)
-No where near able to chain vape as suggested by some other reviews
-wicking doesn't seem to have a happy median its either dryer than Aunt Sally or wetter than an otters pocket.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it just not the RTA for me?

I'm currently voting ⭐⭐

Would love to give ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐but I just...can't

You've not wicked it right, I run all mine at 65w and can chain vape the tank dry

If it's flooding & dry hitting at the same time it sounds like you don't have enough cotton packed under the mesh or have a hot spot on the mesh

Recheck your mesh strip, it's possible you've created a hot spot whilst wicking it or if your cotton pulls out easily, it's not enough cotton

I've never used the Kylin M but do have a Zeus X Mesh and Profile Unity and key to wicking them is making sure the cotton is packed tight as fooook under the coil, to the point where you have to push down on the ceramic plate to slide it through. Then once it's in and cut to size (edge of the deck for me) give the tails a really good combing before trimming again and tucking them in just a few mm above the deck. I then fully saturate the cotton and give it a few low wattage pulses before adding a few more drops of liquid (note: when pulsing you should see the mesh "drink" the liquid). Doing it this way I have only once or twice dry hit the Zeus and never on the Unity. This is using the Vandy Vape M Cotton, which I suspect is what comes with the Kylin M. Firebolt M Cotton is really good too - nice and dense. Also, FFIW I only ever vape 70/30 or 80/20 liquids so not sure how they'd perform with 50/50.

Will check mesh for hotspot(s)

Ill try rewicking... tighter than I think this time.

Thx guys. I have some Firebolt M on order should be with me tomorrow. Got 1 maybe 2 wicks left out of the stuff in the box.

Hi I don't have this tank but I do have all versions of the Profile and Unity as well as the Aromamizer Plus V2RDTA and the SC Titan all running mesh and I agree with @JohnNada with 50/50 juice being a large part of your problem. I think the juice is too thick to to keep up with wicking. Mesh needs a lot of juice and therefore the wicking needs to keep up a good flow of liquid. :2thumbsup:

50/50 juice is pretty thin, if it's not wicking with that there's a problem

OK so... triple checked mesh, heats beautifully from the middle outward

Swapped wick out. The aglet wrapped wick, included in the box, seems to be the "perfect" amount to wick the deck. Now gingerly running at 55w. No dry hits no gurgling.

Thanks @JohnnyAce & @JohnNada for separating the forest from the trees. Turns out I'm a little more noob than I thought

I now give the Kylin M RTA ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Easily done mate, each tank has it's own learning curve! Glad you got it sorted and it's working nicely for you now ;)

On additional note... 50/50 seems good I only run it in my home brew lemon sherbet, if I run any higher VG the lemon separates out.

Will try a Boulevard Clone at 80/20 after it's steeped

Fantastic mate, must've been the cotton under the coil, keep that sucker tight under there

Back
Top Bottom