What's new

decades of covid

@Mitz posted an interesting open letter from anthony costello and other scientist published in the telegraph (i think?) the other day (yesterday even?) that was saying the government have no plan, and that lifting any restrictions due to increasing pressure to do so while the case numbers are as high as they are and the vaccine is still being rolled out is a terrible idea. but the post seems to have sank.

devi sridhar was on channel four news last night saying much the same thing. having a chunk of folk vaccinated while the virus is still running amok creates a good chance of vaccine resistant mutations.

looks like we are fucked for some time yet.
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/threads/the-vaccine-is-not-enough.202896/

I saw an interesting statistic on CNN a couple of days ago. According to the CDC a virus that is 50% more deadly will result in 1.5 x the deaths. A virus that is 50% more transmissible will result in 11.4 x the deaths. Took me a while to get my head around how they got to that figure but I presume it must be the result of the extra exponential growth of the virus. X more people will catch it who in turn will spread it to X more. The extra exponential growth would be considerable.

It's all very well Dr Death, Dr Doom and Johnson coming out with might be's or could be's, they need to back it up quickly with the relevant scientific and medical data. Put my missus in a right tiz, and she is far from alone in that, many people are quite literally looking at the end of their rope, mental health wise.

It's all very well Dr Death, Dr Doom and Johnson coming out with might be's or could be's, they need to back it up quickly with the relevant scientific and medical data. Put my missus in a right tiz, and she is far from alone in that, many people are quite literally looking at the end of their rope, mental health wise.

This. Absolutely this.

Far too much speculation.

i think this estimate is based on statistics, no? i can’t think of another type of evidence something like this could be based on.

i think this estimate is based on statistics, no? i can’t think of another type of evidence something like this could be based on.

I get that Zou, but then don’t estimate and don’t go on the TV with maybe and what if. Quote facts innit.

That’s what Andy is getting at, and I totally agree with him. That’s why so many people are fried - the way this is being handled is farcical.

I get that Zou, but then don’t estimate and don’t go on the TV with maybe and what if. Quote facts innit.

That’s what Andy is getting at, and I totally agree with him. That’s why so many people are fried - the way this is being handled is farcical.

i do agree it’s a farce. but i’m not sure with this they can have absolute facts. only statistics, from which they can extrapolate. and i think it’s better they tell us that it looks more fatal than not tell us. they’d get criticised for that just as much.

i’m the first to criticise these incompetent cretins, but i don’t think warning the public about the new strain potentially being more fatal, when it looks like it probably is, is really that worthy of criticism.

Last edited:
To be fair, if they were given this information and said nothing and it does turn out to be true wouldn't they be crucified for withholding information?

People need to understand that it's only preliminary data and that should be made crystal clear.

IMHO.

But I totally get why it upsets and angers people. My missus gets stressed about it too.

Ninja'd by Zou. :assassin:

Last edited:
Scientists say signs a new coronavirus variant is more deadly than the earlier version should not be a "game changer" in the UK's response to the pandemic.

Boris Johnson has said there is "some evidence" the variant may be associated with "a higher degree of mortality".

But the co-author of the study the PM was referring to said the variant's deadliness remained an "open question".

Another adviser said he was surprised Mr Johnson had shared the findings when the data was "not particularly strong".

A third top medic said it was "too early" to be "absolutely clear".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55779171

Back
Top Bottom