What's new

Geek Vape Talo X RDA (a review of something other than a pod!)

Simon G

Olympian
This was send to me by the lovely Sue @Healthcabin in return for this review.

It's good to see a new RDA from Geek Vape and it's good to see that it comes with everything you need to get going right out of the box. This wasn't the case at all not long ago for most RDAs and I always felt it was a bit cheap not to include a couple of coils and some cotton. The Talo X not only comes with those things but Geek Vape also include a little leg length measuring tool, a tri-tool screwdriver, a 510 tip adapter, spares and a hollow pin for squonk use. Overall a pretty nice little package.

Talox1.jpg

It's a 24mm RDA and it's very compact, especially for a dual coil RDA which I like a lot. The blue version I was sent, appears to be some kind of anodized coating that looks good but can get scratched quite easily, a gentle scrape with my penknife quickly revealed the silver underneath ... after just a few days use there's some marks on the inner airflow adjustment section from twisting it too. If that kind of thing bothers you I would recommend getting the plain stainless steel version as it will likely look newer for longer.

The deck is a drop in design and is very easy to build with the provided coils. I don't build RDAs with coils like this often but even for me it was a very simple and painless process. It's a bit odd that Geek Vape provide you with the coils and the leg measuring tool but don't offer any suggestion of what they should be cut to in the manual or on the bag that includes the coils. I ended up cutting mine down to 5mm which seemed to be about right as the coils dropped right down to the post tops, then after fitting I just lifted them a little when I straightened them out. … but really how hard would it have been to write “Cut legs to 5mm using the tool” somewhere?

The manual doesn't really say much at all though, it's easy to presume people already know how to build and use an RDA when they buy one but if this had a better instruction manual it would be a good recommendation for a completely new RDA user as it's easy to build and comes with all the stuff to get you started. Without it, it's harder to recommend as you do need some extra knowledge and experience that the manual doesn't even touch on.

talox2.jpg

The 'shoe lace' type cotton that comes with the RDA is perfect however and makes wicking very easy. This is the first time I've used cotton like this and I can see why people like it. The fused clapton coils took a bit of bedding in and a lot of brushing, pulsing and scraping to get an even glow, but that's the nature of these large fused claptons. (They came out around 0.2ohms as a pair) For me they are way too power hungry and I would prefer a couple of simple claptons with a bit less wire to heat but that's always going to be down to personal taste. Thanks to the excellent adjustable airflow options it's perfectly possible to run smaller coils though. After some cloud chucking fun I put a pair of simple 26awg round wire coils in and was happily using the Talo X around 40w which I enjoyed far more.

The airflow adjustment is one of the highlights for me, there are radiator grill type slots in the barrel and these can be shut off horizontally or cut down in size vertically as you twist the top. It's possible to go from a very restricted airflow to wide open (which is open enough for most I would think, unless you like zero restriction on your draw) There is also some movement (with stops) on the barrel so you can centre the airflow on your coils even if you've shut half of the grill slots down. I think overall a lot of people would be happy with how this vapes. There a lot of good usable adjustment here and the airflow is pretty smooth and quiet all things considered.

talox3.jpg

The 810 drip tip is a standard 'no o-rings' type so you can swap it out easily with your favourite. The one that comes fitted looks fine but it's a bit short for my personal tastes. I do really like the internal bore size though which is a little narrower than the other 810 tips I have. With the included 510 adapter you can fit anything you want though, so that's all good.

The squonk pin is probably an essential addition there days and the liquid flows easily and comes out both sides of the centre almost directly onto your cotton, it works well, no complaints there either. It's not 100% squonk friendly, if you go nuts it will eventually come out of the airflow slots but it will hold a fair amount of liquid, so just don't go nuts and you'll be fine. Talking of pins, the positive connection pin is well insulated and protruding plenty enough to be considered 'hybrid safe' in my opinion, but obviously check your own example and make sure you are comfortable before wacking it on a mech.

For a dual coil RDA I think this is a pretty versatile option to consider, it's not just suitable for cloud chucking and with the slots cut down vertically and a couple of lower power coils those looking for a more restricted draw will probably enjoy this too. There's plenty of room to experiment with the Talo X, with both the airflow, different tips, coil and coil placement options. On my last build I left the legs a little longer and pulled them further towards the airflow which gave me some really good results.

The only negatives for me are the instruction manual (if you can even call it that) and the finish which can be damaged quite easily. It's not going to just fall off in normal use but be careful with sharp objects like screwdrivers and cutters or you could end up scratching it. The included coils aren't really to my taste and I would have preferred a couple of simple claptons with a few more wraps.

Other than that I think this is a decent package overall. The extras provide some value and it's nice to have have everything you need to start using it in the box. The deck is probably one of the best/easiest to build I've experienced and the I really like the airflow. I don't think you can go wrong for the price if you are looking for a new dual coil RDA that's versatile and won't break the bank.

You can find the Talo X at Health Cabin here The original price for Geekvape Talo X RDA is $17.99, but after you logging in, you will get a VIP price at $14.44, finally you will get $11.55 after using the code: SANTA20.

Don't forget the 20% OFF : SANTA20 coupon code will be applied to your whole order and 25% OFF Any E-liquid with coupon code: SANTA25

Check out all the Health Cabin Christmas deals here.

Thanks again to Sue at the @Healthcabin .... Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Good review Simon. If I was still into RDAs I'd defintely like this one. Alas, I'm a lazy bugger these days and have the recliner right back in the evening so dripping isn't practical for me anymore.

The airflow and the extras are what would sell it to me.

Good review Simon. If I was still into RDAs I'd defintely like this one. Alas, I'm a lazy bugger these days and have the recliner right back in the evening so dripping isn't practical for me anymore.

The airflow and the extras are what would sell it to me.

yeah, I'm a lazy vaper too .... which is why I need to track down some shoelace cotton in a smaller size. I could seriously get used to using this, it makes everything so easy! .... but this stuff is way too thick to think about stuffing through a 2.5mm mtl coil. :D

yeah, I'm a lazy vaper too .... which is why I need to track down some shoelace cotton in a smaller size. I could seriously get used to using this, it makes everything so easy! .... but this stuff is way too thick to think about stuffing through a 2.5mm mtl coil. :D
Vapefly Firebolt do 2.5mm as does Fallout, Ecigone brand. Both decent ;)

Back
Top Bottom