What's new

Mods Vandy Vape Simple EX Squonk Kit - Pod Killer

Bought with my own money hands on review which is based upon my experience and opinions of this mod & RDA kit.

For today's review we have the:

VANDY VAPE SIMPLE EX SQUONK KIT
http://www.vandyvape.com/kit/Simple_EX_kit/
(worth a quick look at the official bumf)
RRP £39.99 but you should find it for a lot cheaper, I paid £19.99, best price I found as of today (19th March 2019)
https://www.sr-vapes.co.uk/product/vandy-vape-simple-ex-kit-free-spare-bottle-included/
(free bottle is just the silicone bit, no top or tube)

VV-Simple-EX-1.jpg

I have extensively tested this before reviewing for almost 1 month of regular use.

In this review I will cover:
  • 1 Line Review (For those that can't be arsed to read through).
  • Rating out of 10
  • In The Box.
  • First Impressions.
  • Mod review and info.
  • RDA review & info.
  • Compared To: Assorted Pods & Pico Squeeze (original)
  • Conclusion
  • Pros & Cons
  • Links and additional specs & Bumf.

One Line Review:
Simple EX is a POD rival and an upgrade in my opinion, compact, stylish, adjustable Voltage, superb flavour & ideal for Nic Salts.

Score = 9 out of 10
(highest I have rated a device)
Read on if you want to know why:

In the Box
  • 1 Simple EX Squonk Box Mod
  • 1 Simple EX RDA (BF Pin Fitted)
  • 2 1.24ohm Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Coils
  • 1 Screwdriver
  • 1 Allen Key
  • 1 Regular 510 Pin
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • 1 Warranty Card
  • 1 User Manual
VV-Simple-EX-3.jpg

Unboxing & First Impressions:

For such a small device it comes in an disproportional large box, that said it's well packed and well laid out, I really like the extras such as the all metal RDA top and the option to pop on a colour matched 510 drip tip for a tighter draw.

I has the colour matching Plastic RDA cover fitted which matches the 4ml squonk bottle cover, unpacking it all was pleasant to see everything laid out and already felt great value for money, first thing was to pop the mod on charge while I set about building the RDA.

I have a Vandy Vape Pulse mech and I couldn't help thinking it had a smart baby.

VV-Simple-EX-10.jpg

I was genuinely impatient to get this charged and built, high expectations and hoping it vaped as good as it looked.

VV-Simple-EX-4.jpg

Mod Review

The mod itself features a very limited screen and menu which is actually one of it's strong points 'SIMPLE' as all you can adjust is the Voltage from 3.3V to 4.5V, Voltage Changes in Increments of 0.3V, simply press the Left button to decrease and the Right button to increase - simples, you can turn the mod on and off with the usual 5 clicks of the fire button.

The ergonomics and design of the mod is impressive, squonk bottle, internal 800maH battery, adjustable Voltage screen and RDA all fitted into a very compact pocket friendly design, it has a metal chassis and it's a little heavier than some pods but nothing to complain about.

VV-Simple-EX-8.jpg

Battery life is pretty good, though it's unlikely to last you a day and is obviously relative to the chosen voltage, I would have liked a higher maH but it would have made the mod larger.

The squonk bottle aperture is near perfect, plenty of room to get your digits in to press and only requires a small press.

Refilling the bottle is also easy enough, nothing innovative, just unscrew the top cap, pour in your liquid and close, you get the usual top overspill if you fill it too high, I left around 3mm from the top with no overspill, with it's 'micro hits' 4ml lasts ages and usually longer than the battery life.

The fire bar is on the screen side and opposite to the squonk bottle, it protrudes a little like a rocker switch and easy to reach how ever you hold it, so fingers or thumbs it's easy to reach and never accidently triggers the voltage switches.

There's battery vents at the base and a Micro USB charging port at the bottom of the screen, charging times are pretty fast, I've not tested it from flat but it's never taken more than 30 minutes.

The screen also features a 5 bar battery life indicator, better still it carries on delivering your chosen voltage without drop off, downside to that is it just stops working when the battery can no longer deliver the voltage, unlike a pod that drops off.

There's not much more to say about the mod until the RDA's shoved on it, so onto the RDA.....

RDA Review:

VV-Simple-EX-5.jpg

Vandy Vape Simple EX RDA Features:
  • 21mm Diameter
  • Clear Acrylic Top Cap Construction
  • Optional Delrin Top Cap
  • Two-Post, Single Terminal Design
  • Large Terminal Shelf Opening
  • Top-Secured via Flathead Slotted Screws
  • Restricted Airflow Design
  • Adjustable Single Side Airslot - Multi-Sized Airflow Size
  • Gold-Plated Squonk BF 510 Pin
  • Gold-Plated 510 Connection
The included RDA is 21mm dia and single coil 2 post build deck, this took around 2 minutes to build and wick, it was so simple with the perfectly shaped included Clapton coil with legs slotting easily into the dipped screw connectors, pop the coil in central to the wick slots, tighten and required little reshaping, a quick pulse to remove hotspots, in my case there were none so was hot to trot, they didn't include wicking (minor con) so I used some Muji cotton, the length was intuitive as you just cut it down to reach the juice well, fluff it up, tuck it in, prime it and it's good to go.

VV-Simple-EX-6.jpg

After the mod was fully charged I filled up the bottle and took it for a test spin, now my intention for this device was to replicate that POD style draw so I set the airflow to the 2nd smallest hole, after a few primer puffs to bed in the coil and wick I started to puff away on it, right off the bat and at the lowest voltage my high expectations were met and some, a very smooth draw with zero spitback, it was a bitter sweet experience as only the day before I got the Smok Nord and thought nothing could beat that, the Simple EX blew that theory out of the water, flavour was full and smooth and warm but not hot, I didn't need to change a thing and it just works, the drip tip PC Colour match top cap is the perfect height so you're not feeling the heat on your lips.

I used SALT nic salts which are the highest quality flavours I have found (So far)

VV-Simple-EX-7.jpg

I did try the all metal top cap, it made little difference so popped the colour 510 drip tip onto it and you get an even tighter draw if that's your thing, I found the standard PC top cap to be the best option for that POD style vape.

I have had no leaks, oversquonking is very forgiving as it sucks back the juice, as is undersquonking, I get quite a few draws before squonking, I've had no juice leak from anywhere even though it's bottom airflow, little niggle is the top caps are very tight to remove.

More on the RDA in my conclusion.
------------------------------

Compared to:
Here's the tricky part, do I compare thee to a summers day..... sorry drifted off, how do I compare it to a squonk mod or POD systems?

VV-Simple-EX-11.jpg
VV-Simple-EX-12.jpg

It's most definitely not a POD, yet it is a POD rival and as much as I love my POD's this device has taken preference, it delivers a pod like vape more than other MTL's tanks / RDA's, but with the convenience of a larger capacity and cheaper consumables, I honestly can't put my finger on why it is so pod like, it's just a MTL squonker right?

Vandy Vape obviously developed this squonker to tackle the POD competition and I think they have nailed it, this sits in my POD collection and not my MTL collection or Squonk.

I call it my SOD. :14:

I won't compare all the pods but a generalisation of the following (In my favourite order):
  • Smok Nord - Best flavour giving pod I own, SIMPLE EX is better and shorter and a very similar weight, though the Nord feels better in the hand.
  • Aspire Cobble - Another great flavour giver with a nice tight MTL draw, very stealthy (little vapour production), smaller & lighter than the Simple EX but the battery life is short and again the flavour is better on the Simple EX.
  • Aspire AIO - Larger than the Simple EX but much lighter, it's another one that delivers good flavour but not as good as the above, it also feels cheap and nasty.
  • Aspire Breeze 2 - This was my first Pod experience and at the time loved it but it doesn't compare to the above, it also has a faulty common build quality issue where the pod catches break.
  • Ijoy Diamond VPC - This is a piece of crap except it has variable wattage, it spits like a camel and leaks like a leaky thing, no comparison.

So to compare it to the nearest Squonker I can compare it to, the original Pico Squeeze, this is a semi regulated 'bypass' style mod, I have tried a couple of the better BF MTL RDA's such as the SXK Le Concorde Styled RDA and the Jorda B Styled RDA on it, hard to describe but I didn't enjoy either, MTL RTA's fared better, this setup isn't in the same league as the Simple EX, that said I have tried the RDA from the Simple EX on the Pico Squeeze and it's too hot for me.
--------------

Conclusion:

Vandy Vape Simple EX is just that it's 'simple' a bit like some of my EX's :p

VV-Simple-EX-9.jpg

It's taken over from my POD systems for now, there's so much to love about this kit, it sits in my pockets nicely without any leaks, stealthy for that sneaky vape, great for indoor vaping and it's one of the first Nic Salt devices that gave me that '1st morning ciggie' high, I know it's not a Pod and it's not a traditional Squonker, it sits somewhere in between, It's in a class of it's own and obviously top of it's class until something comes along to beat it, but for now this is my favourite MTL vape and always in regular use.

Though it's boasted as a Nic Salts device it's also great for other liquids I've tried in it, though I keep going back to Salts.

Would I buy another if it broke?
Absolutely 100% - I bought another 2 so I have 3 flavours on the go and lasts a full day.

---------------

Pros and Cons

Pros
  • Better than a POD (that I've tried).
  • Rebuildable.
  • Simple to use.
  • Easy to build.
  • Fast charging.
  • Innovative sleek design.
  • 4ml Capacity.
  • Superb RDA.
  • Included coils are spot on (I've ordered some of this wire for my other MTL devices).
  • Difficult to leak.
  • Optional top cap & 510 drip tips.
  • Flavour is the best MTL I've tried.
  • Lots of extras.
  • Value for money.
  • Baby Pulse mech style looks great.
  • Tight to loose airflow control.
  • Battery indicator.
  • Constant chosen voltage delivery.
Cons
  • No cotton (minor niggle).
  • Battery life won't last the day.
  • Internal battery means eventually it will become disposable (apart from the great RDA).
  • Protruding fire button could pocket fire.
  • Top cap is tighter than I am!

I cannot come up with any other cons unless I get really petty.

Rating = 9/10
As mentioned before this is the highest I have rated a device, it impressed me that much, no novelty factor as I have been hammering one of these for 4 weeks and bought 2 more, no shinyitis as the extra 2 mean I can use for a full day and some.

More info:
Vandy Vape Simple EX Squonk Box Mod Features:

• Dimensions - 58.5mm by 41mm by 23.6mm
  • Intergrated Battery Design
  • Bottom-Feeding Squonk Design - 4mL Squeeze Bottle
  • Vandy Vape's Advanced Chipset
  • Variable Voltage Range: 3.3-4.5V
  • Voltage Changes in Increments of 0.3V
  • Lightweight Nylon & ABS Construction
  • Intuitive OLED Screen - Battery & Voltage Display
  • LED Battery Light Indicator
  • Tactile Firing Button
  • Dual Adjustment Buttons
  • Overtime Protection
  • No Atomizer Alert
  • Low Power Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Over Temperature Protection
  • Squonk-Ready 510 Connection
  • Available in Pink, Blue, Green, ULTEM

So that's about it, I hope you found my personal experience review helpful, as always comments, corrections and
likes appreciated, all helps motivate me to do more reviews :)

What an excellent and In-depth review. I was kindly donated one by the very generous @AJT and to be fair I only played with it for a couple of days. You have spurred me on to give it another go, I was impressed with the flavour. I have a few days off tomorrow. First job of the day dig it out and have a proper go with it. Thanks for taking the time to pen this fab review.

Thanks for the kind words, all makes it feel rewarding :)

Yeah definitely worth you giving it another go, quality of juice makes quite a difference but that also applies to Pods, the SALT range is good, especially the Peach, Mango and Orange flavours, I tried some cheaper brands and they were meh.

Good review as expected. Glad to see you gave it a month of use before reviewing. Cheers

Thanks for the kind words, all makes it feel rewarding :)

Yeah definitely worth you giving it another go, quality of juice makes quite a difference but that also applies to Pods, the SALT range is good, especially the Peach, Mango and Orange flavours, I tried some cheaper brands and they were meh.

I don’t appear to get on very well with salts. They seem to make me cough. I do however have some on the way so might take a chance. Used some good ones in the past. Perhaps I should take shorter draws. I tend to drag my vape like my smoking style.

Nice review!. Love the fact you compare size and shape against other mods. Wish more would do this.

A cracking review. Now I have a problem though. I was going to get an Artery Pal 2, but now this is on my radar. I might just jump down the rabbit hole and get both.

A cracking review. Now I have a problem though. I was going to get an Artery Pal 2, but now this is on my radar. I might just jump down the rabbit hole and get both.
Did you get the Artery? it's one I've been trying hard to resist, kinda waiting for the Smok Trinity Alpha to come out before I write off pods completely (even though it's technically not a pod).
https://www.smoktech.com/kit/trinity-alpha

Hello hello. I'm kind of late to the party but I've looked everywhere and need an answer. I recently bought the simple ex kit in black because we don't have any other color in Greece where I live and we can't order tobacco or vaping products from abroad. I have the pulse bf kit in green and I would have loved it if the two matched. Does anyone know if I could buy the top caps, drip tips and panel separately in different colors? Or does anyone have a used kit that they would like to sell (but just the extras)? Thank you kindly, Andriana.

Back
Top Bottom