What's new

ADVICE NEEDED - Coils and such

GraemeKirkwood

Postman
Hello,

So to give you a picture, started back vaping after 5 years back on the cigs. Decided to get myself a nice Ares 2 for MTL vaping.

Went online, searched for MTL pre made coils, and decided to go for Coilology ones due to seeing some nice reviews.

Anyways, ended up ordering MTL Clapton and MTL Fused Clapton coils.

The receipt is attached, clearly showing SS316L for the Clapton coils, and Ni80 for the Fused Clapton.

Long story short, I received SS316L for both. I've never tried vaping SS316L but thought fuck it, I'll give it a bash.

Now, Fused Claptons quote 0.64 ohms, and Claptons show 0.7 ohms.

For the life of me, I cannot get these to be these resistances. Anytime I get close, it then starts fluctuating like mad.

I'm using an Ares 2 on top of a Cthulhu Hastur, again as the picture attached shows.

When I get it close to 0.64 or 0.7, depending on the coil I'm using, it then goes way down to 0.4 or 0.5 etc when I put cotton in.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I being dumb? Bit of both? [emoji23]

Ready for launching it out the window.

Is it because the Hastur isn't "accurate"? Is it because it's SS316L and I'm not using it on TC because I don't have the slightest clue how to use TC?

Please help a brother out [emoji120]

Screenshot_20201210-164818_Outlook.jpeg
Image.jpeg
Image%20(1).jpeg

Sorry if this seems like a rant. It's mostly a rant at myself to be honest. Here's a pic of the coil installed. Fluctuating happens mostly when pulsing the coil, I'll get it to settle, then when it cools down and I pulse again to ensure it's all good it fluctuates like mad. Then fluctuates even more after inserting cotton.

Here's a pic of the coils as well. They're 5 wraps, I then obviously need to wrap it around half a turn more to make the legs on either end of the coil.

Also, could it be that the coils are going in belly down? The way they have made them means that they're going in belly down
20201210_170309.jpeg

If resistance is dropping it normally means a short of some kind. Ensure all screws are tight, no part of the coil is touching the body. Also ensure the 510 is secure. Worth trying a spaced coil as you may still be getting a hotspot. SS will rise in resistance as it's heated up, not down.

If resistance is dropping it normally means a short of some kind. Ensure all screws are tight, no part of the coil is touching the body. Also ensure the 510 is secure. Worth trying a spaced coil as you may still be getting a hotspot. SS will rise in resistance as it's heated up, not down.
I've tried all of the above. I didn't know the resistance of SS changes though. No shorts, everything is secure, 510 is solid. It may just be the SS. Just put an 7 or 8 wrap Kanthal 26g and it's came out to 0.97, I'll just stick with that for now. Doubt I'll be using the SS again

I've tried all of the above. I didn't know the resistance of SS changes though. No shorts, everything is secure, 510 is solid. It may just be the SS. Just put an 7 or 8 wrap Kanthal 26g and it's came out to 0.97, I'll just stick with that for now. Doubt I'll be using the SS again

I use them coils the 0.7ohm ones, I think they are of a lower rating than stated..... I try and add a wrap n a half usually bring them up to 0.7 or very slightly above.

Last edited:
I ues them coils the 0.7ohm ones, I think they are of a lower rating than stated..... I try and add a wrap n a half usually bring them up to 0.7 or very slightly above.
And is it the SS you use? I've got some Ni80 ones coming hopefully tomorrow, and a spool of premade Ni80 Clapton wire. I'm hoping it is just the SS that the Hastur doesn't like for some reason, Kanthal is working a treat right now but the flavour isn't quite there

And is it the SS you use? I've got some Ni80 ones coming hopefully tomorrow, and a spool of premade Ni80 Clapton wire. I'm hoping it is just the SS that the Hastur doesn't like for some reason, Kanthal is working a treat right now but the flavour isn't quite there

Yip SS, using one the now that I added a wrap n a half ish to....reading 0.74ohms on a DNA 75 chip

Back
Top Bottom