What's new

Ss316L flatwire

Annealing stainless S316 can be done with a temperature of only 400 C up to 800 C.
Hope that helps.

GRRRRAAHHHHHHHHAAA!! is there ANY way to make this less springy??

What gauge are you referring to? You could try a smaller ID coiling rod, like 2.5mm then carefully roll that 2.5mm coil onto a 3mm rod, sometimes I mess up but mostly it works out.

The article contains the following statement.
"Dry-burning the coils means heating them to temperatures well above 700oC"

However, as i have said SS3316 can be normalised to make it more malleable at temperatures as low as 400 C.

The article contains the following statement.
"Dry-burning the coils means heating them to temperatures well above 700oC"

However, as i have said SS3316 can be normalised to make it more malleable at temperatures as low as 400 C.

i don’t think most people are measuring the temperature of a bit of wire as they blast it with a blowtorch.

ovens usually only go up to 250 C.

Get yourself a better oven mate, my fan oven goes up to 325 C.
Anyway my point was to illustrate that you did not have to heat stainless steel to bright red with a blowtorch, or a coil test firing kit in order to anneal it.
I fact if it is heated to bright cherry red it starts to destroy the properties that make it "stainless"

Get yourself a better oven mate, my fan oven goes up to 325 C.
Anyway my point was to illustrate that you did not have to heat stainless steel to bright red with a blowtorch, or a coil test firing kit in order to anneal it.
I fact if it is heated to bright cherry red it starts to destroy the properties that make it "stainless"

then you prove my point, no? even your advanced oven isn’t hot enough to anneal the wire. :)

IMG_20201109_215811.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom