What's new

Ss316L flatwire

Jd_

Achiever
GRRRRAAHHHHHHHHAAA!! is there ANY way to make this less springy??

Like heat it up with a lighter and dip it in cold water or somethin?

It vapes amazing but my god...

This took like 30 min...
And i still gotta get it in a goddamn postless deck with grub screws that twist the outside coils
20201105_134347.jpg

GRRRRAAHHHHHHHHAAA!! is there ANY way to make this less springy??

Like heat it up with a lighter and dip it in cold water or somethin?

It vapes amazing but my god...
You can anneal it with a flame, mini blowtorch is ideal or a lighter.

The melting point of SS316L is 2540-2630° F so start further away to reduce temp and then move closer to get desired result!

That wont hurt it? Lighters n stuff r way higher than 600 degrees
Unless you concentrate the flame in one spot you'll never get that hot. Plenty YT vids out there, used to be common to preheat wire prior to coiling.

The melting point of SS316L is 2540-2630° F so start further away to reduce temp and then move closer to get desired result!

it’s no about it melting, heating wire until it glows causes changes in the structure that could be bad for the health. there is a farsalinos article about it, that recommends not dry burning coils. torching them with a blowtorch would have the same effect i’m sure.

it’s no about it melting, heating wire until it glows causes changes in the structure that could be bad for the health. there is a farsalinos article about it, that recommends not dry burning coils. torching them with a blowtorch would have the same effect i’m sure.
Quite probably just depends on if you want to dry heat or not.

I did read somewhere that dry burning stainless steel to a high temp has negative implications to the longevity of the metal and therefore the coils. Some also say it can off gas nasties if it gets too hot. I don’t know either way but when I dry burn SS319L coils that I’ve built (in order to get rid of hot spots) I tend to do so at around 25w. This works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom