What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Mesh stock coilhead types

OzoreXS

Achiever
Hi all!
I´d like to create this post, so we can share thoughts and opinions about this great kind of coilheads for vape.
We can talk generally and about specific ones too.

Let me start the thread with some info about the topic in title, types of mesh.

1) "Woven" mesh:
Lets say, it was the most common between 2017 and early 2019. True mesh, It consist of extremely thin intertwined wires, creating some kind of metal fabric. Its usually made of KA1 and SS.
Aspire-Cleito-mesh-coil.png

HellBeast_H1_Mesh_Coil_700x.jpg

Flavour is usually very good as the heat is perfectly distributed all over the surface in contact with the wicking material. Also, its longevity is above the regular wired coilheads.

2) "Flat perforated" mesh:
its not really mesh and its contituted mainly by strip and honeycomb styles. Its usually made of die cut sheet of metal (KA1, SS, NiCrAl,...)
vaporesso-qf-strip-015ohm-11-d60679863aa01f579615670093949672-1024-1024.jpg

strip_coil.jpg

strips are known for being too hot (a dry hit from those is concentrated death :D). As They dont bring any additional advantage over other types, usage by manufacturers is now reduced.
Mesh coils are guzzlers, but this kind is insane (and for nothing particularly good).

The honeycomb styled mesh isnt mesh either, but its usually cathegorized as mesh. I guess it helps with market fragmentation, and as htey work pretty similar to regular mesh, I´m OK with that.
You can find them usually in KA1 and SS.
904l%20m%20coil%20family.png

HorizonTech-Falcon-M-Triple-Replacement-Coils__17397.1540827118.500.500_20copy.png

joyetech-ex-m-0-4ohm-mesh-head-600x600.jpg

So far, the best I´ve ever tested. For me, actually a real evolution of mesh. It brings a deeper and more crisp´n´clear flavour and also allows the coilhead to last much more due to the reduced contact surface.
These are even more efficent, as the metal is usually really thin, it does not require big power to heat.
And! super fast ramp up.

3) "Alien / Stappled / F.Clapton" wire welded mesh:

Just like the honeycomb, those arent mesh either. This ones are just welded pieces of wavy complex wire, creating a grill.
3368279-2.jpg

vapelink.co.uk_Augvape_Intake_Mesh_Tank_Replacement_Coil-2__10134.1591431914.jpg

Never tried any of those, so I cant share a single thought. Most reviewers say that those are better than single meshed (classic and strip) in all respects.

Final words:
So, whats mesh Vs regular coilheads?
- Even heat surface means +vapor, +vapor -> +flavour.
- Mesh can produce more or less warmth and still bringing clear flavours (even underpowered)
- Mesh will drink more of your juices
- Regular coilhead lasting is nothing compared to avarage mesh, being mesh x2/x5 (depending on models) durable and more easy to clean and recover.

IMHO, mesh is the natural and necessary evolution in stock coils. Maybe ultrasonic technology and some ceramic solutions can became the new standard, but right at the moment you will not find any better. Except for some extraordinary regular coils, like the Nunchaku fused clapton 0.25 and 0.40 that are utterly good, honestly.

Can we expect more mesh evolution?
Yeah, why not. I can imagine a coilhead that uses mesh metal as wicking instead of cotton and fibers... or even a wicking-less solution; who knows.

What do you think apes? you like mesh? :)

Regards

Last edited:
Good post :) I would argue that what you have down as strip mesh and honeycomb mesh is essentially the same thing though. Maybe better categorisations would be; Woven Mesh, Flat Stamped Mesh, 3D Mesh (which you haven't got up there) and Wire Welded Mesh?

Good post :) I would argue that what you have down as strip mesh and honeycomb mesh is essentially the same thing though. Maybe better categorisations would be; Woven Mesh, Flat Stamped Mesh, 3D Mesh (which you haven't got up there) and Wire Welded Mesh?
I like your categorization/naming.
I agree, honeycomb and strip essentially the same, but they dont work the same. However, yeah, can be the same type.

some doubts
woven mesh, according to what type? (what I called "classic"?)

Flat stamped would be for honeycomb and strip, right?

3D mesh? according to what type? (I know about Plex 3D from innokin, but its commercial noun. Its a flat stamped)

thx mate!

PS: which one do you prefer?

I like your categorization/naming.
I agree, honeycomb and strip essentially the same, but they dont work the same. However, yeah, can be the same type.

some doubts
woven mesh, according to what type? (what I called "classic"?)

Flat stamped would be for honeycomb and strip, right?

3D mesh? according to what type? (I know about Plex 3D from innokin, but its commercial noun. Its a flat stamped)

thx mate!

PS: which one do you prefer?

All good and thank you. My early experiences with mesh they were largely the inter woven wire kind, so that's what I would consider 'classic' although there was a couple of devices that used perforated metal aswell (can't remember what they were now) so that's why I would go for 'woven' over classic.

Flat perforated might be a better term over Flat Stamped thinking about it, although it is a broad term where lots of different types of mesh would fit into, the principle of the entirety of one side of the mesh evenly touching the cotton is the same for all of them.

Although 3D is stamped for me is very different to flat stamped because the surface area is increased and is not 'flat', some areas of the mesh have slightly better contact to the cotton than others and has pockets where juice can collect. I think this may be the way that mesh goes going forward (depending on manufacturing cost Vs performance) I think we might start to see strips with golfball type dimples.

I mostly use the turbo mesh on my profile a the mo, best performance to ease of wicking for my tastes. Yourself?

Last edited:
Yourself?
Thanks for your input mate.
I hope some manufacturers are reading this because you are stating some very good ideas. (Loved the idea of a strip with dimples!)

Could you provide some example of those 3D mesh, I only heard about the Innokin Plex 3D one, wich is not really 3D (contours have saw teeth)
Plexar-2-1_ml.jpg

I dont do RBAs anymore. 1 year ago, when I started vaping I´ve had a Recurve (single) and a Profile 1. Both good atomizers, but I prefer stock coils. I´ve found my place in vaping with those.

So far, having tested a good range of DTL stock coils I must say that some specific woven mesh and in general honeycomb ones are my preference. Right at this moment, Im amazed with GTX and PnP coils: tiny, powerful, inmense flavour, long lasting and moderate liquid consumption. Also, those are compatible with many vapes, pods, AIOs and atomizers.

A couple months ago I discovered the Freemax Mesh Pro/2 coils and the Falcon King ones. Those are amazing in all areas except liquid consumption which is ridiculous. However, the vape is so tasteful that I dont mind how much liquid they drink.

Back
Top Bottom