What's new

Is it hard to make unsweetened juice taste good?

As the title says is it hard to make a unsweetened juice taste good over just chucking a load of sweetner in?

I ask as I'm really not feeling these overly sweet juices anymore and can't find many juices that don't use sweetner but the one I have found/use atm is pretty darn good it's just expensive at £9 for a 30ml shortfill so I'm thinking about giving DIY mixing a go, any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Basically yes, it's very easy.

I try to avoid adding sweetener where ever I can as like you I'm not the biggest fan of overly sweet liquids.

If I do feel something needs sweetener, I'll never go over 0.5%.

As the title says is it hard to make a unsweetened juice taste good over just chucking a load of sweetner in?

I ask as I'm really not feeling these overly sweet juices anymore and can't find many juices that don't use sweetner but the one I have found/use atm is pretty darn good it's just expensive at £9 for a 30ml shortfill so I'm thinking about giving DIY mixing a go, any tips?

Thanks in advance :)
You'll be surprised how a drop of ginger, can make sweet flavours pop.

Silverline whipped marshmallow and meringues can be a useful alternative, I've ordered the Brew Bros sucralose and stevia mix, gonna try that out at 0.1 up to 0.5%.

I think it really depends on what you are trying to mix. Desserts are usually sweet because they are sweet in real life and that's what they are trying to recreate. I can't imagine a pecan and treacle tart that isn't sweet. Likewise 'Candy' flavours that aren't sweet aren't going to taste like candy... which is essentially flavoured sugar. It's all about the context. Natural fruit flavours can be unsweetened and so can savoury flavours, like tobaccos and nuts. It does change the taste quite dramatically though, like the difference between a cuppa with no sugar and a cuppa with 2 sugars, it's a very different cup of tea.

TBH there are not many flavourings out there that are not inherently sweet.
That's not to say they are specifically sweet either just means they're not savoury.

Take biscuit, cake, pastries, custard and creams for example they are already sweet as part of their profile.

I'll get hounded for this but the only reason I see sweetner added to commercial juice is to bulk out flavourings to make it cheaper to produce or to hide a shit profile.

I don't own or use any sweetner and if a profile calls for it to be sweeter then I find it with the addition of flavourings.

Silverline whipped marshmallow and meringues can be a useful alternative, I've ordered the Brew Bros sucralose and stevia mix, gonna try that out at 0.1 up to 0.5%.

Meringue is mainly Ethyl Maltol and Vanillin, which are both sweet tasting.

Are we really talking about mixing without sucralose? I still think of Maltol as 'sweetener' just a different kind of sweetener.

TBH there are not many flavourings out there that are not inherently sweet.
That's not to say they are specifically sweet either just means they're not savoury.

Take biscuit, cake, pastries, custard and creams for example they are already sweet as part of their profile.

I'll get hounded for this but the only reason I see sweetner added to commercial juice is to bulk out flavourings to make it cheaper to produce or to hide a shit profile.

I don't own or use any sweetner and if a profile calls for it to be sweeter then I find it with the addition of flavourings.

I don't have any intention of hounding you. ;) (and you are probably right about some commercial liquids) But I look at sweeteners as just another flavouring. I don't see any difference in adding sweetener or adding another flavour that has sweetener in it. It's like cooking a meal and rather than adding a pinch of salt you add another 3 ingredients containing salt instead. It might be cool and clever but ultimately it seems pointless and a waste of time.

Please don't hound me either! ;)

Well I like sweetener always got a bottle of EM in the cupboard and it can work wonders with some juices

Back
Top Bottom