What's new

Short and early review - Twisted Messes/Ohm Boy "Dang" RTA

adm

Postman
First off, I will preface this by saying I am a fairly new vaper. The only other RDA I have to compare this to is the Vandy Vape Mesh V2 RDA. I also have two Valyrian 2 tank attys. All of these are being used with an Aegis Squonk 100W mod.

So, the first thing I bought was the VVM2 and used it as a dripper rather than a squonker. No problems at all with this. Loved it. Great flavour and plenty of clouds. All in all, I am very impressed with it. I then changed it up to use it as a squonker and the first few builds were awful. I kept getting dry hits from it. However - I figured out the problem was too much wick material. Sorted that out and it's perfect as a Squonk. Back in love with it.

Then the TM/OB "Dang" arrived. I bought this on a whim because of the similarity and elegance of the clamping to the VVM2. I also got a mixed pack of coilology coils to go with it and some Cotton Bacon Prime.

The RDA itself is very nicely built. No issues there. Mechanically, it's great. But first of all, I could not get the coils to pulse pre-burn and even out properly as a pair. I went through three sets of coils before I figured out it is very, very sensitive to the leg lengths of the coils. I also had to learn the technique of coil squeezing and scrubbing. OK - all newbie problems and a bit of a learning curve.

Once I had a set of coils (multi strand fused Claptons) that I was happy were responding more or less identically and homogeneously, I wicked it up (after watching a few tutorials) and went for a test run with Dinner Lady Mango Tart. The pair of coils were reading about 0.16 Ohms and I tried wattages from 35 up to 90W and different airflow settings.

But I am just not getting either the flavour or the clouds that I get with the VVM2 (or for that matter the Valyrian 2 tanks running mesh coils). The Dinner Lady juice just tastes better in the other setups.

Anyway. I want to continue to play around with different coil setups, wattages, wicking, etc....but I have to say that my experience with the TM/OB "Dang" has been a pain in the arse so far. I will keep experimenting (for example with less density of wick material and different coils).

Oh - and the bloody thing gets super, super hot compared to the VVM2 - even on the same power setting.After a few hits I have to wait for it to cool down so it doesn't burn me - even at 50-60W. And it spits and crackles like a dragon. Maybe too much juice, coils too high (although they are pretty low), maybe something else.

So, that's my first thoughts. I am sure I am doing many things wrong and I should be able to get a much better vaping experience out of this, but to me, right now the VVM2 and even the Valyrian 2 tanks just seem to be easier to use and give better results in terms of both flavour and clouds.

I'd appreciate any advice from any other users of this RDA.....

A little update on this.....

I've been playing around with it a bit and am now happy with getting the coils to fire equally. It does seem really sensitive to coil leg length, but I bought a knock off coil leg cutting tool which has helped no end. So now I'm playing around with different coils and wicking techniques. Starting from basics and working up rather than diving into more exotic coils....

I'm currently running a pair of simple fused Claptons (2-25/36 Ni80, 0.34 Ohms nominally) cut at 6mm and the mod says 0.15 Ohms, so I guess that's about right. Cotton bacon wick and running 60-70W on an Aegis mod.

Anyway. It's getting much better now! Flavour is very good. It still gets a lot hotter than my Vandy Vape Mesh V2 at similar wattages, and that is my main complaint with it now.

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve with RDAs. Being an ex engineer and rocket scientist, I just jumped straight in thinking "how hard can it be?", but there's definitely art here that takes time to grasp!

You seem to be getting the hang of it.
With the Dang is important to place your coils fully flush agains the clamp. Then use a screwdriver or coil rod to lift the coils so they don't short. It's common practice with postless decks and top air flow tanks and RDAs.

ive had mine a couple of months, now. It's got excellent flavour, is super simple to coil and wick and looks quite good too.
mine has twin tri core SS fused claptons that ohm out at .15 unfortunately I'm vaping some very dark liquid, so the RDA isn't shown in its best light.
95B5C526-89FE-4DE6-BC89-CF77671CA564.jpeg

Its, basically a well made item. The only fly, for me, is the RDA barrel it a tight and often graunchy fit. Which is frustrating considering the quality of the rest.

Still I'd be greatful if you keep us updated, on you Dang journey.

You seem to be getting the hang of it.
With the Dang is important to place your coils fully flush agains the clamp. Then use a screwdriver or coil rod to lift the coils so they don't short. It's common practice with postless decks and top air flow tanks and RDAs.

ive had mine a couple of months, now. It's got excellent flavour, is super simple to coil and wick and looks quite good too.
mine has twin tri core SS fused claptons that ohm out at .15 unfortunately I'm vaping some very dark liquid, so the RDA isn't shown in its best light.

Its, basically a well made item. The only fly, for me, is the RDA barrel it a tight and often graunchy fit. Which is frustrating considering the quality of the rest.

Still I'd be greatful if you keep us updated, on you Dang journey.

Thanks!

I have been using a coil rod to keep the coils slightly off the deck while I tighten then down. But going fully flush first then lifting them is something I haven't tried. Make sense though.

I'm going to recoil and rewick it this afternoon as I made the schoolboy error of trying to change two very different flavours (Bryn's Té then going to JackRabbit Banoffi Pie) and I can't seem to get past the Té taste. No real need to change the coils, but I fancy messing around.

I know what you mean with the barrel being tight. Mine isn't graunchy, but is indeed tight.

I'll keep updating this as I go along....

By the way - what the hell juice is that you are using? Looks like liquorice or something.....which gives me an idea for a mix!

So, all recoiled and reworked with a pair of Juggernaut coils from the Coilology assortment pack.

IMG_3157_heic-X3.jpg

Now filled with Jack Rabbit Banoffee Pie and running super smooth at 100W (mod is reading 0.1 Ohm). Nice big clouds, but I am not sure I like this juice all that much (and apologies to the sponsor of the ad for it at the bottom of the page!).

So, all recoiled and reworked with a pair of Juggernaut coils from the Coilology assortment pack.

IMG_3157_heic-X3.jpg

Now filled with Jack Rabbit Banoffee Pie and running super smooth at 100W (mod is reading 0.1 Ohm). Nice big clouds, but I am not sure I like this juice all that much (and apologies to the sponsor of the ad for it at the bottom of the page!).
They're good coils. But there's a lot of metal, in them. Even on a mech with 30T, you need to pulse the coil, before the first tug. Dem nice though, to be sure.

Thanks!

I have been using a coil rod to keep the coils slightly off the deck while I tighten then down. But going fully flush first then lifting them is something I haven't tried. Make sense though.

I'm going to recoil and rewick it this afternoon as I made the schoolboy error of trying to change two very different flavours (Bryn's Té then going to JackRabbit Banoffi Pie) and I can't seem to get past the Té taste. No real need to change the coils, but I fancy messing around.

I know what you mean with the barrel being tight. Mine isn't graunchy, but is indeed tight.

I'll keep updating this as I go along....

By the way - what the hell juice is that you are using? Looks like liquorice or something.....which gives me an idea for a mix!
Great. But try the ' slammed to the floor, method at some point. I found a noticeable change.

I've taken to vaping pure VG, to clean out the wicking and coils, prior to a new juice. It works, err, sometimes. Tee Hee.

I can't, for the life if me, remember that juice. Though it may have been out of date 12mg flawless Shammy Shake. Those high mg juices do seem to go much darker with age. I'm assuming it's Nic oxidation. I dilute them 50% with pure VG, because 12mg Nic makes. Me cough my guts up.

They're good coils. But there's a lot of metal, in them. Even on a mech with 30T, you need to pulse the coil, before the first tug. Dem nice though, to be sure.

Yep - they definitely take a wee while to heat up! A one second pulse first seems to be the way to go. I'm still not enjoying that juice though. Will switch it out and rewich tomorrow.

Out of interest though - what do you mean by "30T"? I have no knowledge of mechs.

Great. But try the ' slammed to the floor, method at some point. I found a noticeable change.

I've taken to vaping pure VG, to clean out the wicking and coils, prior to a new juice. It works, err, sometimes. Tee Hee.

I can't, for the life if me, remember that juice. Though it may have been out of date 12mg flawless Shammy Shake. Those high mg juices do seem to go much darker with age. I'm assuming it's Nic oxidation. I dilute them 50% with pure VG, because 12mg Nic makes. Me cough my guts up.

I slammed the coils on my build today - then raised them up a tad with a screwdriver. It works well. Super smooth vaping at 100W. I just don't like the juice!

Well, I have plenty of wick cotton so will rewick tomorrow and give it a good rinse out.

I'm trying to determine the differences between this RDA and my VV Mesh 2. I think the airflow is a bit less restricted on this one (although the VV is no slouch). The holes on the Dang are bigger - but there are less of them. The VVM2 gives great flavour at 60W, but this one seems to like higher wattages with these Juggernaut coils. Hardly surprising as there's more metal to heat up.

So far, I have had different juices in each one. But I should really put the same juice in each and do a side to side comparison for flavour. I might do that in the morning.

Yep - they definitely take a wee while to heat up! A one second pulse first seems to be the way to go. I'm still not enjoying that juice though. Will switch it out and rewich tomorrow.

Out of interest though - what do you mean by "30T"? I have no knowledge of mechs.
30T is a Samsung 35 Amp 27100 battery. It's said to hit the hardest of all batteries. Hit effectively means deliver the most amps, to the coil, making it heat up faster. I'm sure there's a more accurate description, but it's close enough.

Back
Top Bottom