What's new

School me on Custard please!

adm

Postman
I have not yet made any kind of Custardy juice, but do fancy making a "Rhubarb 'n' Custard" type in the near future.

I read lots of conflicting information on Custard though. Many people say it needs to be steeped for 4 weeks plus, some people say you should make up the Custard component of a juice first, etc, etc....

So let's say I wanted to plan ahead and make up a few different Custardy type juices given the steep time...for example:

1) Portuguese Custard Tart (Pasteis de Nata)
2) Rhubarb 'n' Custard
3) Spanish "flan" custard tart (the upside down soft and floppy one with the runny caramel)

First off, what concentrates would you recommend? I am OK with several different ones that can be blended to give different results.

Second, how would you go about this?

Would you first off, define all 3 recipes, then blend the "Custardy" bits - i.e. all creamy/custardy flavours with VG and PG base, steep these all separately and then add the rest of the flavour and Nic at a later point

Or would you make up a bigger batch of a base Custard juice - and steep in VG/PG, then use that later as the base for all three recipes, adding everything else at that point?

Or something else entirely?

Any all all advice gratefully received before I go and buy some concentrates and embark on a multi-week project!

Hi @adm if you are quite new to mixing in general and custard in particular i would suggest looking through the below thread and perhaps picking a recipe or two that you like the look of and mixing some juice.
By doing it this way you will be mixing something that has been tried and tested and it will give you an idea of mixing itself and to a certain extent how different flavours blend together, you will then be better equipped to start experimentation on your own recipes, if you still are inclined, some of these recipes are lovely, as good as you can buy imo. Also @StrawberryRipple adds new recipes every now and then. Great learning tool and great juice to vape while you learn.
Please note not all are custard recipes but a range of different recipes but there are some great custards in there. :2thumbsup:

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...sion/mixology/threads/ripples-recipes.187335/

Thanks! I had read some of that thread previously, but just went back through and read it in it's entirety.

I think "Obscured by Custard" is the one I will make up - another order for concentrates will be on the way soon.

Given the long steep times of these, I think I might make up a bit more than my usual 60ml trial runs!

I think all custards benefit from a longer steep and for me the longer the better, the one thing i find with custard is they just get better and better the older they are. I have some Brews Bros Custard Dynasty ,which is a very good custard , which i mixed in Nov 18 and it is fabulous now. Fruits are much better earlier i think and some fruit flavours lose their taste over time especially citrus for me. Happy mixing and be sure to come back and let us know how it goes. :2thumbsup:

Inawera custard is pretty good and doesn’t really need a steep. Think more along the lines of an actual egg custard rather than custard cream biscuits or or that cheap corn flour stuff you get in a tin.

Personally I went off the diacetyl ones a while ago. It gets a bit sickly. Too much.

Thanks! I had read some of that thread previously, but just went back through and read it in it's entirety.

I think "Obscured by Custard" is the one I will make up - another order for concentrates will be on the way soon.

Given the long steep times of these, I think I might make up a bit more than my usual 60ml trial runs!
Obscured by Custard os my current favourite and go to of all of the Custards I've developed to date.

I've got at least two more custards coming soon hopefully I'm just trying to tame a couple of obscure ingredients that I'm positive will add something new but very pleasant to the table.

As for your other questions it's entirely upto you wether you mix a big batch and steep it in advance or make whatever recipie your going to create in one go.

As for Rhubarb and Custard and for simplicity purposes have a look at Cupcake Worlds version it's very true to form and you would probably like it at a straight 10%

Back
Top Bottom